Thread: Itís time for bicycle sense in America. TWT's Charles Hurt's argument by analogy.

Itís time for bicycle sense in America. TWT's Charles Hurt's argument by analogy.

With the senseless killing of a mother walking through Central Park last week by a madman on a bicycle, it is high time that society take a hard look at what is sure to be a thorny issue: Is it finally time to ban bikes once and for all?
    [ ... ]
    Full Disclosure: I do not currently own a bicycle. But that is because I live in a city where I am stripped of my Constitutional right to bear arms and as a result am unable to protect my property.
    [ ... ]
    But I digress. We are talking about bicycle control, not guns. Of course, bike rights are not specifically protected under the Constitution, but surely that is only because the Founders had not yet thought of them. I donít even think they had the unicycle back then, which, by the way, is one of the most dangerous of all the cycles.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...se-in-america/
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    I would disagree that bike rights are not covered ... you have the right to travel; you have the right to assemble...

You have the right to choose your mode of transport.

You have the right to drive a car, pilot a plane, sail a boat, and bike to where ever you need to go...

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    If anyone ever says "the right to _______ isn't covered by the Constitution" they've done two things - first they've acknowledged that a right exists to __________ and secondly, in that acknowledgement they've given up any chance they've had at arguing a moral basis for prohibition or restriction. A right not being expressly enumerated in the Constitution is incredibly irrelevant. No right should be burdened by law, that is a principle of our nation's founding.
    Advocate freedom please

I chuckled.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    They also never read the ninth A.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

I'll give you my bike when you pry it from my clipped-in shoes!

The only way to stop a bad guy on a bicycle is a good guy on a bicycle.
    More bicycles, less bicycle crime!

Yeah only 10,322 deaths by drunk drivers and what, maybe 5 by bicyclists. Get real.

It's a one in 300,000,000 event and it makes the news because it's so rare. Ban cars, ban drunk drivers for life.

all bikes should be limited to 10 gears but you should be allowed to use 1-7!

Dear Fellow Americans,

Few topics in America generate a more polarized and emotional debate than bicycles. In recent months, Starbucks stores and our partners (employees) who work in our stores have been thrust unwillingly into the middle of this debate. Thatís why I am writing today with a respectful request that customers no longer bring bicycles into our stores or outdoor seating areas.

LOL Then I ride an eXtreme assault 'bicycle', with a less than 40 cm. Center of Gravity, three wheels, 54 speeds, and 41.7" wheelbase. The 29.5" track will fit through hotel doors.

I rode a hilly twenty-five miles today in a bit less than two hours, 1300 Kalories estimated, max. speed 31 mph, max. HR 150 bpm. I am an aggressive armed cyclist that believes in taking the lane and controlling the traffic around me.

My CCW H&K is the great equalizer, might does not make right.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 09-25-2014 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    LOL Then I ride an eXtreme assault 'bicycle', with a less than 40 cm. Center of Gravity, three wheels, 54 speeds, and 41.7" wheelbase. The 29.5" track will fit through hotel doors.

I rode a hilly twenty-five miles today in a bit less than two hours, 1300 Kalories estimated, max. speed 31 mph, max. HR 150 bpm. I am an aggressive armed cyclist that believes in taking the lane and controlling the traffic around me.

My CCW H&K is the great equalizer, might does not make right.
    So you would purposely disrupt traffic and if anyone says anything about it you will use your firearm? yeah you sound like a sociopath that should not be able to have a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by wizzi01 View Post
    So you would purposely disrupt traffic and if anyone says anything about it you will use your firearm? yeah you sound like a sociopath that should not be able to have a firearm.
    Bicycles ARE traffic.

I feel like a couple of posters above might be a little bit confused (wizzi01, Maverick9).

Either that or I'm confused.

μολὼν λαβέ

So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    I feel like a couple of posters above might be a little bit confused (wizzi01, Maverick9). Either that or I'm confused.
    Confused, I'm sure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picture-5978.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	10.1 KB 
ID:	12061   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DH.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	6.8 KB 
ID:	12062  
    Last edited by Nightmare; 09-25-2014 at 09:00 PM.

Confused, I'm sure.
    Those tadpole bents totally rock.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopis View Post
    all bikes should be limited to 10 gears but you should be allowed to use 1-7!

Ah-ha ! You have become the master, grasshopper.

But I had a job just outside downtown chgo .. I took my bike on the train to union station, rode from there about 5 miles to the worksite.

Yes, some cyclists (like messengers) ride fast and furious...but most of the time, issues are caused by non-cyclists. Once I had an idiot pull out between two cars with a painting .. didn't look, just by himself. I had to brake hard to prevent smashing into it. He pops out (about a 4 ft painting, he's in the center of course) and tries to put the near miss on me...but he knew it was his fault and was grateful I stopped before I plowed into his "priceless oil painting".... (rule #1: better to plow into a person who pops out between 2 cars than to swerve and get plowed in the rear by a 2 ton car)

I've ran into people too (no bike paths those days) .. had car doors open in front of me, etc. Cycling in a downtown area has its hazards.

And bike paths that exist now? They are "bike killing zones" IMO...more green friendly garbage.

Bicycles ARE traffic.
    And you should get a ticket for impeding traffic every time for purposely slowing down traffic.

and stop at stop signs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ďMen live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

And you should get a ticket for impeding traffic every time for purposely slowing down traffic.
    Good luck trying to prove "purposely"...I have yet to see a motorist getting a ticket for going slow in the passing/fast lane and holding every other self important schmuck on the road.

Have you ridden a bicycle as a means to commute?

Death race 2000. Its how I roll. How many points for bicyclist anyway? Go Frankenstein!

worst acting on earth in that movie - however I do remember 'it's a hand-grenade'....Caradine if my misguided youthful impressions are still alive....extra points for the baby in a stroller - on the sidewalk? maybe rent that movie after 40 years???
    ďMen live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    worst acting on earth in that movie - however I do remember 'it's a hand-grenade'....Caradine if my misguided youthful impressions are still alive....extra points for the baby in a stroller - on the sidewalk? maybe rent that movie after 40 years???
    I watched it on Netflix a month or so ago.

It is an exercise in transportation engineering to demonstrate that a cyclist cannot delay traffic except on a substandard road. Chapter 8 The Effects of Cyclists on Traffic of Bicycle Transportation: A Handbook for Cycling Engineering by John Forester.

http://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Transp.../dp/0262560798

The posted speed limit is not the reasonable and proper speed of that roadway.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 10-08-2014 at 06:12 PM.

The same numbskulls on bikes that complain incessantly about cars while riding in a car lane are probably the same numbskulls that don't obey traffic laws while on their bike. Speeding through crosswalks on the don't walk sign. Scaring the shiz out of pedestrians by going 25mph on a sidewalk or crosswalk. Red lights? I'm on a bike, I can just yield. No turn on red? Screw it. Hand signaling? Nope. Weaving in and out of stopped traffic? I'm on a bike so I have special privileges and thoroughly enjoy the smell of my own farts. FAAAAAAAANKS!

Bikes should only be allowed on roads which have speed limits they can actually hit. Every time I pass a bike on a 55mph road I facepalm.
    Last edited by The Truth; 10-08-2014 at 06:26 PM.

μολὼν λαβέ