Thread: Tacoma gun safety meeting tonight

I got an email at school today about a gun safety meeting tonight in Tacoma. I know there isnt much info about it but I plan on going anyway.

"Gun Safety BSU at UWT
    On Sep 24 a panel of six local experts will discuss how to increase gun safety and why it matter to you. The free event is from 5:30-8:00pm, Wednesday, Sep 24 at the Evergreen-Tacoma campus. For more information contact Melissa Cordeiro at mcordeiro@cityoftacoma.org"
    Last edited by J1MB0B; 09-24-2014 at 11:57 AM.

Am I correct in thinking that because Im not a student or an employee there and because its a state run institution, I would be ok carrying there?

Quote Originally Posted by J1MB0B View Post
    Am I correct in thinking that because Im not a student or an employee there and because its a state run institution, I would be ok carrying there?
    You're fine to carry there.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

The "advertisement" seemed positive. Gun Safety, locking, reminding people(large and small) of safety rules.

It could easily be perverted into something else, depending upon how it is presented.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    The "advertisement" seemed positive. Gun Safety, locking, reminding people(large and small) of safety rules.

It could easily be perverted into something else, depending upon how it is presented.
    I am hoping it is a legit safety as in don't point at what you don't want to shoot, lock it up, ect. ect. ect. and not be some kind of lefty view of gun free zones and stricter control = less violence.
    Last edited by Seriona; 09-24-2014 at 06:18 PM.

Ill let you guys know. I was going to film it but due to equipment issues, im only going to get audio. Ill post it up as soon as I can.

Yet another website for the event, this one will have any videos and slides they are showing.

http://www.cityoftacoma.org/cms/one.aspx?objectId=59940

Gun Safe T Education Campaign
    The 2011 Tacoma Gang Assessment found a majority (59%) of gang involved youth and/or youth at risk of gang involvement stated that it would be either "very easy" or "somewhat easy" to access a handgun.

In June 2014, the City launched the Gun Safe T Education Campaign to build awareness and create opportunities to bring safety education on the use, storage and surrender of firearms to Tacoma youth and the community.

So, did tacoma poll the gang bangers about guns and then devised training for them so they don't hurt themselves?? Or is the intention to create a safer environment for those of us arming ourselves in defense of the gang bangers? Inquiring minds want to know.

No matter the motivation, I like the idea of a public forum on firearm safety. I do not care if this irritates the anti's. The fact is a great deal of the People in our Cities are armed. We are creeping slowly to a half million CPLs. I think we could initiate this kind of thing in each of our own cities.
    B'ham is about to start a "public TV" channel and it could be a good vehicle to get the "word"out.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

I went last night and recorded the whole thing. I dont know the best way to post an audio file so if anyone want to hear it, pm me with an emaim address and Ill send it to you. Its about two and a half hours long.
    Unfortunately I had to take a couple of calls during the discussion so I missed out on large parts of it, but I did leave the recorder going on my chair.

The whoke thing had very little to do with gun safety involving youth, but alot about gun violence in the community. On person did ask the only law enforcement office about the numbers and statistics of accidents involving guns, but he blew it off saying something about it being a hypothetical question.

Hmmm,

Bremerton/Kitsap has public access....

http://www.ci.bremerton.wa.us/bkat/

might be worth looking into doing a PSA

Quote Originally Posted by Vitaeus View Post
    Hmmm,

Bremerton/Kitsap has public access....

http://www.ci.bremerton.wa.us/bkat/

might be worth looking into doing a PSA
    I've thought about it, only problem, I don't think anyone watches PA TV
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by J1MB0B View Post
    I went last night and recorded the whole thing. I dont know the best way to post an audio file so if anyone want to hear it, pm me with an emaim address and Ill send it to you. Its about two and a half hours long.
    Unfortunately I had to take a couple of calls during the discussion so I missed out on large parts of it, but I did leave the recorder going on my chair.

The whoke thing had very little to do with gun safety involving youth, but alot about gun violence in the community. On person did ask the only law enforcement office about the numbers and statistics of accidents involving guns, but he blew it off saying something about it being a hypothetical question.
    Sounds like a waste of time .. I don't how "gun safety" can really be discussed in a big venue. Most of it is just common sense and if you don't have, you never will.

Read your guns' manuals. Gun safety class over.