• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Finally a coward is charged for his crime

XD40sc

The cop was still shooting after the man had his hands up in the air.

SC really need to review their officer training, as another storm trooper shot an old man reaching for his cane.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Im actually on the other side of this one. Ive seen a lot of posted LEO shootings here where i really thought they should've been charged and weren't.

Ok. Let's see your evidence.

That guy darted into his car very abruptly and without warning. This one i felt like that easily could have been a gun he was going for from what i saw in the video.

Here's another interpretation...

"With the camera recording, Groubert pulls up without his siren on as Jones is getting out of his vehicle to go into the store. "Can I see your license please?" Groubert asks. As Jones turns and reaches back into his car, Groubert shouts, "Get outa the car, get outa the car." He begins firing before he has finished the second sentence. There is a third shot as Jones staggers away, backing up with his hands raised, and then a fourth. From the first shot to the fourth, the video clicks off three seconds. Jones' wallet can be seen flying out of his hands as he raises them."​

Here's my interpretation: The driver followed the cop's directions explicitly. It's unfortunately his wallet was in the car, but is that his fault? No. It's the cop's responsibility to verify the situation and avoid knee-jerk reactions like one clearly observed in the video.

As it is, "Groubert's boss, state Public Safety Director Leroy Smith, called the video "disturbing" and said "Groubert reacted to a perceived threat where there was none" as he fired the officer Friday."

davidmcbeth

Banned
If you are going to shoot someone just for moving fast into a vehicle, then you'll have to kill every cheating husband who sees his wife in the mall's parking lot. And don't blame him, she cheated on him first !

this guy should be convicted

77zach

I doubt he'll be found guilty of anything. He should have to personally pay for his victim's injurious and then a bunch of $ for traumatizing him

Firearms Iinstuctor

After watching the video it makes me wonder if the trooper had just went trough some force on force training. where this situation was taught and the driver did come out shooting in the training.

During training one needs to temper the shoot situations with no shoot situations so the trainees do not come away with the idea that it is always a shoot situation.

Not that would be an excuse. He was totally wrong in is assessment of the threat and his handing of it.

Having made thousands and thousands of traffic stops and have had countless of drivers do things that could have been reaching for a weapon. One learns to be alert but not over react as this trooper did.

When and what he or if he will be convicted of some thing remains to be seen.

After searching several news stories I didn't find how many years of service this trooper had might have missed it any body know.

Jeff. State

Banned
Anyone else know what furtive means? Stealthy, sneaky, the root from Latin is 'thief'.

The cop was blinded by his ignorance of what the victim was doing.

"THEY" all believe citizens they come across are "law" breakers. It's their job to figure out by any means what "laws" we have broken. Any and every citizen they come across could be "dangerous", they are filled with FEAR and ACT accordingly.

It is "Us against them" in the eyes of every "law" enFORCEr.

Primus

"THEY" all believe citizens they come across are "law" breakers. It's their job to figure out by any means what "laws" we have broken. Any and every citizen they come across could be "dangerous", they are filled with FEAR and ACT accordingly.

It is "Us against them" in the eyes of every "law" enFORCEr.
Oh is that what you were taught in the academy? Damn sorry to hear you went through that.

Jeff. State

Banned
Primus, enFORCing for the STATE is no longer an "honorable" profession. LEO's represent and defend their EMPLOYER (THE STATE) and even though it's the Peoples money paying them the People have NO SAY in their conduct.

Peace Officers no longer exist, LEO's are all that's left.

From coast to coast local, State, and Federal Govts. have made The People their subjects not their constituents.

More and more people like me (Christian, conservative, "LAW" abiding, producer, etc.) have absolutely NO respect for LEOs. Govt. agents have become an ENEMY of "The People".

Primus

Primus, enFORCing for the STATE is no longer an "honorable" profession. LEO's represent and defend their EMPLOYER (THE STATE) and even though it's the Peoples money paying them the People have NO SAY in their conduct.

Peace Officers no longer exist, LEO's are all that's left.

From coast to coast local, State, and Federal Govts. have made The People their subjects not their constituents.

More and more people like me (Christian, conservative, "LAW" abiding, producer, etc.) have absolutely NO respect for LEOs. Govt. agents have become an ENEMY of "The People".
Cool story bro. Sorry you feel that way. Still not sure what academy you went to where you learned exactly what cops think and feel.

Also, what is FORC stand for? :D

J_dazzle23

It's funny....I have met quite a few cops that fit the bill of being unconstitutional, rights - trampling jackwagons. I've also met some, that if called upon, would be on the gun-totin' nra side of the fence if our right to bear arms was attempted to be stripped. I've met some that would take a citizens life if they could justify it, and some that would give their life for a common citizen.

That being said, I find it absolutely and astoundingly hypocritical that so many blame policemen for the state of the nation. You might as well blame a murder on a gun, and a rape on the skimpy dress.

The politicians in this country that are slowly bleeding us of our rights are the ones at fault. AT WORST, the police are simply a tool that they (try) to use.

Afaik, this is a right wing gun - loving place to be, and I RARELY see anybody complaining against diane feinstien or joe biden. It's always Cops this, cops that. I think it's because we can actually DO something and get off our butt to change the political scene, but that takes work. It's far easier to sit on the internet and b! Tch about cops than campaign for someone that will stick up for your personal freedoms and change the political climate we now have.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

It ultimately comes down to the individual. Not all police are bad, but the bad ones are bad. The politicians are only at fault for not putting a stop to it.

I believe the site is policemisconduct.net, it is amazing the number of police involved in rapes and sexual assaults, as well as stalking and other crimes that have nothing to do with the politicians. If a cop decides to violate rights and commit crimes it is on him/her.

77zach

Cool story bro. Sorry you feel that way. Still not sure what academy you went to where you learned exactly what cops think and feel.

Also, what is FORC stand for? :D
Feelings have little to do with it. If you're in a position where you don't have to enforce the many improper uses of the law, then that's awesome. I think it's a great job to bust truly bad guys. I highly recommend "The Law", by Bastiat. It should be required reading.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/16038...200_QL40&qid=1411867960&sr=8-2#ref=mp_s_a_1_2

J_dazzle23

The politicians are only at fault for not putting a stop to it.

I know you dont actually think this is the only thing the politicians are guilty of. They have passed the enormous body of laws and instilled the environment to breed bad apples left and right.

While SOME cops may be bad, our political environment can be laid to blame at the feet of nearly everyone in washington.

PistolPackingMomma

It's funny....I have met quite a few cops that fit the bill of being unconstitutional, rights - trampling jackwagons. I've also met some, that if called upon, would be on the gun-totin' nra side of the fence if our right to bear arms was attempted to be stripped. I've met some that would take a citizens life if they could justify it, and some that would give their life for a common citizen.

That being said, I find it absolutely and astoundingly hypocritical that so many blame policemen for the state of the nation. You might as well blame a murder on a gun, and a rape on the skimpy dress.

The politicians in this country that are slowly bleeding us of our rights are the ones at fault. AT WORST, the police are simply a tool that they (try) to use.

Afaik, this is a right wing gun - loving place to be, and I RARELY see anybody complaining against diane feinstien or joe biden. It's always Cops this, cops that. I think it's because we can actually DO something and get off our butt to change the political scene, but that takes work. It's far easier to sit on the internet and b! Tch about cops than campaign for someone that will stick up for your personal freedoms and change the political climate we now have.

Politicians are the tyrants 3000 miles away; thug cops are 3000 tyrants 1 mile away. (Adapted from Benjamin Martin, fictional character extraordinaire)

Fallschirjmäger

Jeff, if I'm taking this out of context, please let me know...

... LEO's represent and defend their EMPLOYER (THE STATE) ....

Gee, I bet it would be a shame if someone, say a Chief of Police said exactly what Jeff did, that the police are the soldiers of the government rather than the protectors of the citizens.

Police Chief Rick Hite said:
We have historically been a paramilitary organization,” observed Indianapolis Police Chief Rick Hite during a September 17 City Council meeting. “And we serve whoever sits in that chair, regardless of race, gender, creed, or political party. I don’t know what we would do if we had to go to battle, and we had to make a determination, based on past practices, whether or not we wanted to go into battle. … I am a soldier in an army. We serve you in that way…. We should not be in a position where we’re going to have to decide how we’re going to police this city.”
- The Free Thought Project

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=eYXzSPAMreA#t=9566

Last edited:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Cop was appropriately fired and charged. Looking at the video should be a slam dunk conviction.

The cop training of screaming and swarming force I think is a lot to blame. Flip on an episode of Cops and you'll see milder versions of this. Guy gets tazed, falls on the ground flailing around, clearly not in control of his muscles and three cops jump on him screaming at him to put his hands behind his back and quit resisting. Guy's flopping around and lucky not to be p***ing on himself and couldn't make a fist if you gave him $100 to do so. Saw another episode where cop was kneelinng on the guy's arm screaming at him to put it behind his back and quit resisting. Guy's trying to tell the cop he can't and the cop is just screaming at him.

This is part and parcel of the same type training. Cops give a directive and the citizen either can't comply or in doing so unwittingly does something the officer doesn't like and BAM. Tackles, tazed, shot... Whatever the result, the cop is so invested in the screaming and overwhelming force that no consideration is given to the reasonableness or the request or the reasonable reactoin of the ctiizen.

As a regularly armed citizen I find it sometwhat frightening and have thought much on how to handle such a situation. I think that the only option is to use the same training we use in scuba diving for a panic situation which is STOP, just stop doing whatever and THINK about the solution and then move slowly and deliberattely to solve the problem.

Cop:"Show me your license." You: STOP slowly turn towards the cop "My license is in my vehicle. Do you want me to get it?" Etc.