Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the point?! Gonna be bad spelling and grammar

What's the point?! Gonna be bad spelling and grammar

Can anyone tell me an actual reason why someone would need to openly carry a shotgun or Ar-15. Now for starters, i open carry a pistol and do honestly believe that every woman and man should protect themselfs with more than just pepper spray or knife. I just can't see what is the purpose or reasonable explanation to carry either shotgun or AR-15. To me those people that do carry them openly are just looking for fame and while doing this are actually hurting us that are trying are hardest to protect our rights to carry. I think there should have never been a law passed for concealed carry because i do think we all have a right to open or conceal carry if we want when we want. Bad enough the AR-15 got alot of flack from the government and anti gun nut cases, because of all the shoot outs that dealt with someone using it. Next you know it people are gonna try and carry machine guns, saying that..well if you can carry a pistol and now people think its awesome to carry a shotgun/ar-15 than i should be able to carry a machine gun.

I support my right to carry and everyone elses, as far as pistols. I refuse and will not stand next to the idiots carrying a shotgun/ar-15.

well, i think if i was hiking or something, i would probably sling my AR or blackout for self defense against a bear but on the whole i think most of the forum agrees with you.

I do think about that guy in TX (where long gun OC is legal supposedly) was hiking with his son while carrying an AR and was arrested by LEOs. That's actually an appropriate time to carry an AR in my opinion.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage14 View Post
    <snip>

I support my right to carry and everyone elses, as far as pistols. I refuse and will not stand next to the idiots carrying a shotgun/ar-15.
    Why do people carry ARs? They are accurate rifles, many people have had a significant amount of training with them ...

what's your objection again? sounds like the same objection that people make regarding pistols ... hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Why do people carry ARs? They are accurate rifles, many people have had a significant amount of training with them ...

what's your objection again? sounds like the same objection that people make regarding pistols ... hmmm
    Different firearm, same objection.

Some people are just not comfortable with freedom, unless it meets their personal definition of what's acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopis View Post
    well, i think if i was hiking or something, i would probably sling my AR or blackout for self defense against a bear but on the whole i think most of the forum agrees with you.

I do think about that guy in TX (where long gun OC is legal supposedly) was hiking with his son while carrying an AR and was arrested by LEOs. That's actually an appropriate time to carry an AR in my opinion.
    Methinks you misjudge the membership?

I suggest that precise and accurate logical thought can ONLY be expressed in precise and accurate language.

I refuse to stand with "ugga bugga AR-15", entiende vous?
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

I fully support the right to open carry a long gun.

It is my personal opinion however, that it is pointless and counter intuitive to the cause of OC for anyone to OC a long gun in the city, at Starbucks or the grocery store, for instance. Should it be illegal? HELL NO. Do I do it or would I ever (unless there was another civil war)? HELL NO. But I would be a hypocrite if I were to say I do not support people's right to do so. I don't think it will ever be normal nor should it be, really. I agree with the above comments about OCing an AR while hiking or out in the country. That's the place for a long gun. IMO...

inb4 thread lock
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Banned
    Still awaiting Kopis' reply ...

Is the OP recognizing the legal fact that many states present OC of a long gun as the only legal option for unlicensed carry of modern firearms?
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post

It is my personal opinion however, that it is pointless and counter intuitive to the cause of OC for anyone to OC a long gun in the city, at Starbucks or the grocery store, for instance. Should it be illegal? HELL NO. Do I do it or would I ever (unless there was another civil war)? HELL NO. But I would be a hypocrite if I were to say I do not support people's right to do so. I don't think it will ever be normal nor should it be, really. I agree with the above comments about OCing an AR while hiking or out in the country. That's the place for a long gun. IMO...

inb4 thread lock
    This was what I was trying to say and get. Completely apologize for offending anyone here. Yes I carry a rifle around out on the farms incase of coyotes but carrying such weapon in a town, city, etc. Is a bit to much. I just believe that those firearms should just stay at home in a person's vehicle.

This was what I was trying to say and get. Completely apologize for offending anyone here. Yes I carry a rifle around out on the farms incase of coyotes but carrying such weapon in a town, city, etc. Is a bit to much. I just believe that those firearms should just stay at home in a person's vehicle.
    That is your belief and that is what you value. Other folks have different views. Such is life, you cannot mold the world according to you. You are not its center. The world molds you.

Asking for a point...which you may not accept since you already view yours as THE point is...well, pointless. :P
    Last edited by Bernymac; 09-26-2014 at 02:54 PM.

Can anyone tell me an actual reason why someone would need to openly carry a shotgun or Ar-15.
    SNIP...
    I refuse and will not stand next to the idiots carrying a shotgun/ar-15.
    Welcome to OCDO and greetings from (usually) sunny, dry Arizona Savage14!

Why: some people cannot legally OC modern pistols (Texas is the prime example). It is suspected that most, if not all, of the photos MAD Moms uses/posts of Long Gun Open Carry ("LGOC") are from Texas.

I refuse to (figuratively) stand next to idiots...PERIOD. I have yet to stand next to an LGOCer, much less an idiot who is LGOCing, though I have (literally, of course) stood next to unarmed idiots (MAD Moms was trying to block my "Unarmed victims = Happy criminals" and "Criminals prefer unarmed victims" signs).
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 09-27-2014 at 09:05 PM.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

The guys with the LGOC were in TX, and had no other OC choice. Would I OC a LG? No, but because it would be uncomfortable, inconvenient, and slower to deploy. (did enough of that crud in the Army)
    Here is a good article on the true background of what happened in TX:
    https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/ope...0-%20Pros%20(1
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

One set of reasons to OC a long gun

Please see https://plus.google.com/114572336472...ts/61mzyXM5Z1v. But also note that discussion of OC of long guns is contrary to forum rules.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by notalawyer View Post
    Different firearm, same objection.

Some people are just not comfortable with freedom, unless it meets their personal definition of what's acceptable.
    This is a rather poignant and salient answer.

My personal take on OC'ing longs guns (for me) is that I don't see the sense of it and it is not practical in my everyday excursions... again, for me. Were there to be large civil unrest or something like a hurricane on the order of Andrew (Florida, 1992) or Katrina (New Orleans, 2005), then yes; both a handgun or two and a long gun would certainly be appropriate for me.
    Last edited by SouthernBoy; 09-28-2014 at 09:05 AM.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

The best reason to OC a long gun is found in the first post. It keeps people who are against my Second Amendment Rights from standing near me.

Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Can anyone tell me an actual reason why someone would need to openly carry a shotgun or Ar-15. Now for starters, i open carry a pistol and do honestly believe that every woman and man should protect themselfs with more than just pepper spray or knife. I just can't see what is the purpose or reasonable explanation to carry either shotgun or AR-15. To me those people that do carry them openly are just looking for fame and while doing this are actually hurting us that are trying are hardest to protect our rights to carry. I think there should have never been a law passed for concealed carry because i do think we all have a right to open or conceal carry if we want when we want. Bad enough the AR-15 got alot of flack from the government and anti gun nut cases, because of all the shoot outs that dealt with someone using it. Next you know it people are gonna try and carry machine guns, saying that..well if you can carry a pistol and now people think its awesome to carry a shotgun/ar-15 than i should be able to carry a machine gun. I support my right to carry and everyone elses, as far as pistols. I refuse and will not stand next to the idiots carrying a shotgun/ar-15.
    Careful in your choice of words when debating a topic. I know what you mean by this post, but all of the above highlighted words are common anti-gun arguments.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

Can anyone tell me an actual reason why someone would need to openly carry a shotgun or Ar-15. Now for starters, i open carry a pistol and do honestly believe that every woman and man should protect themselfs with more than just pepper spray or knife. I just can't see what is the purpose or reasonable explanation to carry either shotgun or AR-15. To me those people that do carry them openly are just looking for fame and while doing this are actually hurting us that are trying are hardest to protect our rights to carry. I think there should have never been a law passed for concealed carry because i do think we all have a right to open or conceal carry if we want when we want. Bad enough the AR-15 got alot of flack from the government and anti gun nut cases, because of all the shoot outs that dealt with someone using it. Next you know it people are gonna try and carry machine guns, saying that..well if you can carry a pistol and now people think its awesome to carry a shotgun/ar-15 than i should be able to carry a machine gun.

"NEED" is a subjective condition. At this point in time I have no "need" to carry a long gun... that can wait until the gun grab begins, or there is rioting in the streets. In this forum, there should be no need to carry a long gun, inasmuch as most cannot fit into a belt holster, and if they could you probably couldn't get in or out of your vehicle in that condition.
    In today's environment, for most people long gun carry (just like handgun carry) is a "want" -accessing our 2A rights - not a "need". However, people who O/C handguns are much more capable of defending themselves in the event of an attack, than those who don't carry at all. Pax...
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

The point - it's a right & it's legal. Many said the same thing about pistol open carry years ago. Personally- if someone has to defend themselves in a environment where people maybe near by, I want them using the most accurate firearm they can get their hands on, not the least. There's a reason the old saying goes: "the worst gun you can bring to a gunfight? A pistol!" Or to put it another way - you and the family are out somewhere - a good guy/gal must use deadly force, you want them using a 2" barrel pistol or a much more accurate long gun. There's a reason swat teams don't carry pistols as their "primary" weapons.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post

inb4 thread lock
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    This is a rather poignant and salient answer.

My personal take on OC'ing longs guns (for me) is that I don't see the sense of it and it is not practical in my everyday excursions... again, for me. Were there to be large civil unrest or something like a hurricane on the order of Andrew (Florida, 1992) or Katrina (New Orleans, 2005), then yes; both a handgun or two and a long gun would certainly be appropriate for me.
    +1
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Most of the LGOC pictures/stories are coming from Texas, why do Texans openly carry long guns? It is the only option for open carry and the Texas open carry movement used LGOC carry as a political statement/protest in their move to get handgun open carry legalized. And guess what?? It looks to have worked!! Bills are moving in the Texas legislature to legalize open carry and appear to have a good chance of passage. It was the LGOC that got the attention of the politicians, the squeaky wheel and all that, without LGOC there probably wouldn't even be an open carry bill much less it's likely passage.

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    Most of the LGOC pictures/stories are coming from Texas, why do Texans openly carry long guns? It is the only option for open carry and the Texas open carry movement used LGOC carry as a political statement/protest in their move to get handgun open carry legalized. And guess what?? It looks to have worked!! Bills are moving in the Texas legislature to legalize open carry and appear to have a good chance of passage. It was the LGOC that got the attention of the politicians, the squeaky wheel and all that, without LGOC there probably wouldn't even be an open carry bill much less it's likely passage.
    The situation in Texas is definitely an interesting one that has caused me to rethink my stance on LGOC in the city in certain instances for certain reasons. Good job, Texas! (hopefully)
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

There are two reasons open carry of long guns is legal in Texas: 1) to facilitate hunting, and the associated carry, since you ever knew when the opportunity would arise. (Not exactly the situation in a modern city.) And, 2) it was easy for LE to see and keep an eye on long guns since they could not be easily concealed.

Now that people are making a spectacle of themselves, and we have seen various infamous, close quarters shootings with long guns, I expect the citified legislators to regulate carry of long guns.

A pistol is only good for getting another rifle...
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Like the FP-45

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    A pistol is only good for getting another rifle...
    Like the FP-45 Liberator
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300px-M1942_liberator.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	12073  
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast