• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What's the point?! Gonna be bad spelling and grammar

wittmeba

Someone on this forum provided a very good explanation that if you (or others) are allowed to prune the rules (in your case to pistols) the rules eventually creep into other areas as well. Removing AR15, shotguns & other long rifles may be a target now, but soon it will become pistols, knives, etc.

The intent of the open carry forum is to fight for "EVERYONE" to have the same rights - Open Carry weapons of your choice.

The Truth

Someone on this forum provided a very good explanation that if you (or others) are allowed to prune the rules (in your case to pistols) the rules eventually creep into other areas as well. Removing AR15, shotguns & other long rifles may be a target now, but soon it will become pistols, knives, etc.

The intent of the open carry forum is to fight for "EVERYONE" to have the same rights - Open Carry weapons of your choice.

While what you're saying is perfectly logical, LGOC is actually considered off-topic on this forum. It's even in the rules.

Although, this thread isn't dead yet so I think it depends on whether or not it's a productive thread. This one is fairly productive.

Last edited:

wittmeba

The Truth - in all due respect how did this thread ever pass to the first reply let alone a lengthy page 2? Not too many posts didn't mention something about rifles or long guns - including your own in post #7.

The Truth

The Truth - in all due respect how did this thread ever pass to the first reply let alone a lengthy page 2? Not too many posts didn't mention something about rifles or long guns - including your own in post #7.

I'm honestly not sure how it has made it this far. Like I said though, I think it's because it has been a fairly productive conversation.

FTG-05

Can anyone tell me an actual reason why someone would need to openly carry a shotgun or Ar-15. Now for starters, i open carry a pistol and do honestly believe that every woman and man should protect themselfs with more than just pepper spray or knife. I just can't see what is the purpose or reasonable explanation to carry either shotgun or AR-15. To me those people that do carry them openly are just looking for fame and while doing this are actually hurting us that are trying are hardest to protect our rights to carry. I think there should have never been a law passed for concealed carry because i do think we all have a right to open or conceal carry if we want when we want. Bad enough the AR-15 got alot of flack from the government and anti gun nut cases, because of all the shoot outs that dealt with someone using it. Next you know it people are gonna try and carry machine guns, saying that..well if you can carry a pistol and now people think its awesome to carry a shotgun/ar-15 than i should be able to carry a machine gun.

I support my right to carry and everyone elses, as far as pistols. I refuse and will not stand next to the idiots carrying a shotgun/ar-15.

Translated: "I support the 2nd amendment, but...."

Yea, we all know what the real truth is ..... :banghead:

Last edited:

The Truth

Translated: "I support the 2nd amendment, but...."

Yea, we all know what the real truth is ..... :banghead:

The real truth is just because you don't like something doesn't mean you don't support it. There's this thing called tact... and there's also a reason this site doesn't openly support LGOC.

I OC'd my pistol gripped Mossberg 500 with an extended mag into a gun range today. Definitely not a friendly looking weapon. It felt awesome, and that was just through the parking lot and while walking around their retail area. So even though I don't practice OCing a long gun regularly in town, obviously I don't oppose the right to do so. It's just totally pointless if there isn't a good reason i.e. you are at the range, you are hunting, you are hiking, you are unable to OC a pistol. In VA, luckily I can OC a sidearm, which is why I have such an opinion on LGOC.

How's this for a "red herring" :

You might need a hammer at some point during your every day activities, so you carry a hammer on your belt. You might also need a sledgehammer during your day to day activities. Wouldn't it kinda look funny to wear a sledgehammer on your belt though, especially if you weren't in an environment that would necessitate the use of a sledgehammer, and especially if the use of a regular hammer is both LEGAL and would also suffice to get the job done?

twoskinsonemanns

Can anyone tell me an actual reason why someone would need to openly carry a shotgun or Ar-15. Now for starters, i open carry a pistol and do honestly believe that every woman and man should protect themselfs with more than just pepper spray or knife. I just can't see what is the purpose or reasonable explanation to carry either shotgun or AR-15. To me those people that do carry them openly are just looking for fame and while doing this are actually hurting us that are trying are hardest to protect our rights to carry. I think there should have never been a law passed for concealed carry because i do think we all have a right to open or conceal carry if we want when we want. Bad enough the AR-15 got alot of flack from the government and anti gun nut cases, because of all the shoot outs that dealt with someone using it. Next you know it people are gonna try and carry machine guns, saying that..well if you can carry a pistol and now people think its awesome to carry a shotgun/ar-15 than i should be able to carry a machine gun.

I support my right to carry and everyone elses, as far as pistols. I refuse and will not stand next to the idiots carrying a shotgun/ar-15.

Do I have your blessing to carry a machine gun pistol?

Anyway I fully support everyone's right to carry! As long as it's a gun with only 6 or less shots in it. And it should be a compact gun. I won't stand next to those idiots that carry a big .44 with a 8inch barrel!
Really a .38 is all you need. I won't stand next to those idiots that carry 10mm Glocks!

FTG-05

The real truth is just because you don't like something doesn't mean you don't support it. There's this thing called tact... and there's also a reason this site doesn't openly support LGOC.

I OC'd my pistol gripped Mossberg 500 with an extended mag into a gun range today. Definitely not a friendly looking weapon. It felt awesome, and that was just through the parking lot and while walking around their retail area. So even though I don't practice OCing a long gun regularly in town, obviously I don't oppose the right to do so. It's just totally pointless if there isn't a good reason i.e. you are at the range, you are hunting, you are hiking, you are unable to OC a pistol. In VA, luckily I can OC a sidearm, which is why I have such an opinion on LGOC.

How's this for a "red herring" :

You might need a hammer at some point during your every day activities, so you carry a hammer on your belt. You might also need a sledgehammer during your day to day activities. Wouldn't it kinda look funny to wear a sledgehammer on your belt though, especially if you weren't in an environment that would necessitate the use of a sledgehammer, and especially if the use of a regular hammer is both LEGAL and would also suffice to get the job done?

Obviously, this thread is proof that that statement is a lie.

Oh, and make a note about the hypocrisy: It's OK for you to OC a long gun when it's convenient for you, but when other gun owners do it, they're "idiots".

Last edited:

The Truth

Obviously, this thread is proof that that statement is a lie.

You can either accept how I feel or you cannot. Obviously you cannot, and that's fine. That's your right. I'll tell you one thing though - I don't like being called a liar, especially when I am telling the truth.

Oh, and make a note about the hypocrisy: It's OK for you to OC a long gun when it's convenient for you, but when other gun owners do it, they're "idiots".

Pretty sure I never called anyone an "idiot." In fact, I have repeatedly said that I support the right to LGOC, and I do - both in theory and in practice, so I'm not sure what the hell you're talking about. Did you even read my comments? Or are you taking my tactical suggestions to mean I think LGOC should be illegal? I have also plainly stated that "HELL NO" it should not be illegal. Is that not a strong enough statement for you? Whether or not someone is an attention seeking idiot who carries an AK47 into a coffee shop in a state where sidearm OC is legal is not up to me to decide.

You're barking up the wrong tree, friend. Just because you have construed my attempts at guidance as an act of aggression against LGOC doesn't mean it's true. There IS a difference between sidearm OC and LGOC. We could get into what is considered an offensive weapon and what is considered a defensive weapon, but that is mainly decided by intent of the individual. However, it seems a logical conclusion to me that a small, short range weapon in the city is a defensive weapon, while a long range rifle in the city would be considered an offensive weapon, and in my opinion is more dangerous to innocent bystanders in the case of close combat, which is more than likely what you would face in the city. This is not a matter of politics with me, this is a matter of tactics. I would never speak against the legal right to LGOC. That doesn't mean I'm a hypocrite for trying to convince people carrying a 7.62 with an 18 inch barrel in the city is tactically inferior due to the possibility of collateral damage, among many other disadvantages. Saying LGOC is tactically flawed in the city is not saying that OC in general is unacceptable, or even that LGOC should be illegal. Again, big difference between LGOC and sidearm OC. If you do not agree there is a difference, we cannot come to any agreement here. Something tells me we won't based on your accusations so far.

You could really make your argument towards any tool I deem unnecessary to carry in the city. I could try to convince you that it's pointless to carry a chainsaw around with you in the city and you would likely label me "anti-liberty" and "anti-freedom," when that is clearly not the case. Sure, you have the right to carry around a chainsaw all day, but it's just offputting. It's offputting because even a professional lumberjack knows that there are far more effective tools to carry around in the city, like maybe some pruning shears, or even a hatchet. I'm not saying outlaw the chainsaw, I'm saying use your brain. You never even addressed the sledgehammer red herring. Are you going to use a sledge to hammer a 16 penny nail? Maybe you would on the general principle that it is possible to hammer a 16 penny nail with a sledge. Some may say that person would be an idiot. Not me, of course.

I really hope you at least understand what I am saying, and that there is a difference between me and someone who says, "BAN LGOC!"

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The point and intent of OCDO is to normalize the open carry of holstered handguns as we go about our everyday routines.

The Forum Rules expound on this a bit more.

While there may be certain latitude sometimes, no rants, soap box speeches, or diatribes will be permitted against the rules. OCDO is first private property and users are guests here - appreciated guests, but still subject to simple rules of conduct.