• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What's the point?! Gonna be bad spelling and grammar

Savage14

Can anyone tell me an actual reason why someone would need to openly carry a shotgun or Ar-15. Now for starters, i open carry a pistol and do honestly believe that every woman and man should protect themselfs with more than just pepper spray or knife. I just can't see what is the purpose or reasonable explanation to carry either shotgun or AR-15. To me those people that do carry them openly are just looking for fame and while doing this are actually hurting us that are trying are hardest to protect our rights to carry. I think there should have never been a law passed for concealed carry because i do think we all have a right to open or conceal carry if we want when we want. Bad enough the AR-15 got alot of flack from the government and anti gun nut cases, because of all the shoot outs that dealt with someone using it. Next you know it people are gonna try and carry machine guns, saying that..well if you can carry a pistol and now people think its awesome to carry a shotgun/ar-15 than i should be able to carry a machine gun.

I support my right to carry and everyone elses, as far as pistols. I refuse and will not stand next to the idiots carrying a shotgun/ar-15.

Kopis

well, i think if i was hiking or something, i would probably sling my AR or blackout for self defense against a bear but on the whole i think most of the forum agrees with you.

I do think about that guy in TX (where long gun OC is legal supposedly) was hiking with his son while carrying an AR and was arrested by LEOs. That's actually an appropriate time to carry an AR in my opinion.

davidmcbeth

Banned
<snip>

I support my right to carry and everyone elses, as far as pistols. I refuse and will not stand next to the idiots carrying a shotgun/ar-15.

Why do people carry ARs? They are accurate rifles, many people have had a significant amount of training with them ...

what's your objection again? sounds like the same objection that people make regarding pistols ... hmmm

notalawyer

Why do people carry ARs? They are accurate rifles, many people have had a significant amount of training with them ...

what's your objection again? sounds like the same objection that people make regarding pistols ... hmmm

Different firearm, same objection.

Some people are just not comfortable with freedom, unless it meets their personal definition of what's acceptable.

notalawyer

well, i think if i was hiking or something, i would probably sling my AR or blackout for self defense against a bear but on the whole i think most of the forum agrees with you.

I do think about that guy in TX (where long gun OC is legal supposedly) was hiking with his son while carrying an AR and was arrested by LEOs. That's actually an appropriate time to carry an AR in my opinion.

Methinks you misjudge the membership?

The Truth

I fully support the right to open carry a long gun.

It is my personal opinion however, that it is pointless and counter intuitive to the cause of OC for anyone to OC a long gun in the city, at Starbucks or the grocery store, for instance. Should it be illegal? HELL NO. Do I do it or would I ever (unless there was another civil war)? HELL NO. But I would be a hypocrite if I were to say I do not support people's right to do so. I don't think it will ever be normal nor should it be, really. I agree with the above comments about OCing an AR while hiking or out in the country. That's the place for a long gun. IMO...

inb4 thread lock

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Is the OP recognizing the legal fact that many states present OC of a long gun as the only legal option for unlicensed carry of modern firearms?

Savage14

It is my personal opinion however, that it is pointless and counter intuitive to the cause of OC for anyone to OC a long gun in the city, at Starbucks or the grocery store, for instance. Should it be illegal? HELL NO. Do I do it or would I ever (unless there was another civil war)? HELL NO. But I would be a hypocrite if I were to say I do not support people's right to do so. I don't think it will ever be normal nor should it be, really. I agree with the above comments about OCing an AR while hiking or out in the country. That's the place for a long gun. IMO...

inb4 thread lock

This was what I was trying to say and get. Completely apologize for offending anyone here. Yes I carry a rifle around out on the farms incase of coyotes but carrying such weapon in a town, city, etc. Is a bit to much. I just believe that those firearms should just stay at home in a person's vehicle.

Bernymac

This was what I was trying to say and get. Completely apologize for offending anyone here. Yes I carry a rifle around out on the farms incase of coyotes but carrying such weapon in a town, city, etc. Is a bit to much. I just believe that those firearms should just stay at home in a person's vehicle.

That is your belief and that is what you value. Other folks have different views. Such is life, you cannot mold the world according to you. You are not its center. The world molds you.

Asking for a point...which you may not accept since you already view yours as THE point is...well, pointless. :p

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

Can anyone tell me an actual reason why someone would need to openly carry a shotgun or Ar-15.
SNIP...
I refuse and will not stand next to the idiots carrying a shotgun/ar-15.

Welcome to OCDO and greetings from (usually:uhoh:) sunny, dry Arizona Savage14!:)

Why: some people cannot legally OC modern pistols (Texas is the prime example). It is suspected that most, if not all, of the photos MAD Moms uses/posts of Long Gun Open Carry ("LGOC") are from Texas.

I refuse to (figuratively) stand next to idiots...PERIOD. I have yet to stand next to an LGOCer, much less an idiot who is LGOCing, though I have (literally, of course) stood next to unarmed idiots (MAD Moms was trying to block my "Unarmed victims = Happy criminals" and "Criminals prefer unarmed victims" signs).
:p

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Different firearm, same objection.

Some people are just not comfortable with freedom, unless it meets their personal definition of what's acceptable.

This is a rather poignant and salient answer.

My personal take on OC'ing longs guns (for me) is that I don't see the sense of it and it is not practical in my everyday excursions... again, for me. Were there to be large civil unrest or something like a hurricane on the order of Andrew (Florida, 1992) or Katrina (New Orleans, 2005), then yes; both a handgun or two and a long gun would certainly be appropriate for me.

Last edited:

hovercat

The best reason to OC a long gun is found in the first post. It keeps people who are against my Second Amendment Rights from standing near me.

self preservation

Can anyone tell me an actual reason why someone would need to openly carry a shotgun or Ar-15. Now for starters, i open carry a pistol and do honestly believe that every woman and man should protect themselfs with more than just pepper spray or knife. I just can't see what is the purpose or reasonable explanation to carry either shotgun or AR-15. To me those people that do carry them openly are just looking for fame and while doing this are actually hurting us that are trying are hardest to protect our rights to carry. I think there should have never been a law passed for concealed carry because i do think we all have a right to open or conceal carry if we want when we want. Bad enough the AR-15 got alot of flack from the government and anti gun nut cases, because of all the shoot outs that dealt with someone using it. Next you know it people are gonna try and carry machine guns, saying that..well if you can carry a pistol and now people think its awesome to carry a shotgun/ar-15 than i should be able to carry a machine gun. I support my right to carry and everyone elses, as far as pistols. I refuse and will not stand next to the idiots carrying a shotgun/ar-15.

Careful in your choice of words when debating a topic. I know what you mean by this post, but all of the above highlighted words are common anti-gun arguments.

Gil223

Can anyone tell me an actual reason why someone would need to openly carry a shotgun or Ar-15. Now for starters, i open carry a pistol and do honestly believe that every woman and man should protect themselfs with more than just pepper spray or knife. I just can't see what is the purpose or reasonable explanation to carry either shotgun or AR-15. To me those people that do carry them openly are just looking for fame and while doing this are actually hurting us that are trying are hardest to protect our rights to carry. I think there should have never been a law passed for concealed carry because i do think we all have a right to open or conceal carry if we want when we want. Bad enough the AR-15 got alot of flack from the government and anti gun nut cases, because of all the shoot outs that dealt with someone using it. Next you know it people are gonna try and carry machine guns, saying that..well if you can carry a pistol and now people think its awesome to carry a shotgun/ar-15 than i should be able to carry a machine gun.

"NEED" is a subjective condition. At this point in time I have no "need" to carry a long gun... that can wait until the gun grab begins, or there is rioting in the streets. In this forum, there should be no need to carry a long gun, inasmuch as most cannot fit into a belt holster, and if they could you probably couldn't get in or out of your vehicle in that condition. :lol:
In today's environment, for most people long gun carry (just like handgun carry) is a "want" -accessing our 2A rights - not a "need". However, people who O/C handguns are much more capable of defending themselves in the event of an attack, than those who don't carry at all. Pax...

FreeInAZ

The point - it's a right & it's legal. Many said the same thing about pistol open carry years ago. Personally- if someone has to defend themselves in a environment where people maybe near by, I want them using the most accurate firearm they can get their hands on, not the least. There's a reason the old saying goes: "the worst gun you can bring to a gunfight? A pistol!" Or to put it another way - you and the family are out somewhere - a good guy/gal must use deadly force, you want them using a 2" barrel pistol or a much more accurate long gun. There's a reason swat teams don't carry pistols as their "primary" weapons. ;)

sudden valley gunner

inb4 thread lock

+1

This is a rather poignant and salient answer.

My personal take on OC'ing longs guns (for me) is that I don't see the sense of it and it is not practical in my everyday excursions... again, for me. Were there to be large civil unrest or something like a hurricane on the order of Andrew (Florida, 1992) or Katrina (New Orleans, 2005), then yes; both a handgun or two and a long gun would certainly be appropriate for me.

+1

F350

Most of the LGOC pictures/stories are coming from Texas, why do Texans openly carry long guns? It is the only option for open carry and the Texas open carry movement used LGOC carry as a political statement/protest in their move to get handgun open carry legalized. And guess what?? It looks to have worked!! Bills are moving in the Texas legislature to legalize open carry and appear to have a good chance of passage. It was the LGOC that got the attention of the politicians, the squeaky wheel and all that, without LGOC there probably wouldn't even be an open carry bill much less it's likely passage.