• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What's the point?! Gonna be bad spelling and grammar

The Truth

Most of the LGOC pictures/stories are coming from Texas, why do Texans openly carry long guns? It is the only option for open carry and the Texas open carry movement used LGOC carry as a political statement/protest in their move to get handgun open carry legalized. And guess what?? It looks to have worked!! Bills are moving in the Texas legislature to legalize open carry and appear to have a good chance of passage. It was the LGOC that got the attention of the politicians, the squeaky wheel and all that, without LGOC there probably wouldn't even be an open carry bill much less it's likely passage.

The situation in Texas is definitely an interesting one that has caused me to rethink my stance on LGOC in the city in certain instances for certain reasons. Good job, Texas! (hopefully)

nonameisgood

There are two reasons open carry of long guns is legal in Texas: 1) to facilitate hunting, and the associated carry, since you ever knew when the opportunity would arise. (Not exactly the situation in a modern city.) And, 2) it was easy for LE to see and keep an eye on long guns since they could not be easily concealed.

Now that people are making a spectacle of themselves, and we have seen various infamous, close quarters shootings with long guns, I expect the citified legislators to regulate carry of long guns.

mikeyb

Can anyone tell me an actual reason why someone would need to openly carry a shotgun or Ar-15. Now for starters, i open carry a pistol and do honestly believe that every woman and man should protect themselfs with more than just pepper spray or knife. I just can't see what is the purpose or reasonable explanation to carry either shotgun or AR-15. To me those people that do carry them openly are just looking for fame and while doing this are actually hurting us that are trying are hardest to protect our rights to carry. I think there should have never been a law passed for concealed carry because i do think we all have a right to open or conceal carry if we want when we want. Bad enough the AR-15 got alot of flack from the government and anti gun nut cases, because of all the shoot outs that dealt with someone using it. Next you know it people are gonna try and carry machine guns, saying that..well if you can carry a pistol and now people think its awesome to carry a shotgun/ar-15 than i should be able to carry a machine gun.

I support my right to carry and everyone elses, as far as pistols. I refuse and will not stand next to the idiots carrying a shotgun/ar-15.

Point. You're missing it.

1. In TX, long gun is the only option to OC. A lot of the MDA/EFGS b.s. is taken from TX events, and that is what you see purported in MSM from a heavily-biased presentation.
2. OC is OC. It's exercising the right, just like you can exercise the right of free speech via email to your elected officials, street corner protest, or vocal testimony at gov't meetings. One can argue the efficacy of each method, it doesn't make any one method wrong.
3. Vast majority (I'd say 100%, but I'm not that sure) of OC in this style have been completely legal, and the arrests and attention garnered has just shown the fear mongering has worked to make people panic when they see LAC exercising their rights. The news show the headlines, they omit the meat of the matter.
4. It's the person, not the weapon, that is responsible for the crime.
5. If the walls (gun laws) came crumbling down tomorrow, there would not be a great escalation of bearing arms.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
There are two reasons open carry of long guns is legal in Texas: 1) to facilitate hunting, and the associated carry, since you ever knew when the opportunity would arise. (Not exactly the situation in a modern city.) And, 2) it was easy for LE to see and keep an eye on long guns since they could not be easily concealed.

Now that people are making a spectacle of themselves, and we have seen various infamous, close quarters shootings with long guns, I expect the citified legislators to regulate carry of long guns.

I disagree. Remember the context of why handguns were banned from being carried 150 years ago.

Short answer: racism.

I don't think it would be possible for them to pass that law today, yet they have lived with it for so long now that dumb Texans think it is normal to be thusly disarmed.

Games_dmc3

I'm a 26 years old black man, and I would never open carry "fear of being shot" so I'm glad that I have the option to conceal carry

Bernymac

I'm a 26 years old black man, and I would never open carry "fear of being shot" so I'm glad that I have the option to conceal carry

Welcome to OCDO. If you joined an "OPEN CARRY" advocacy group for the sole purpose of stating that you would "never" open carry out of a perceived fear...you may be one bullet short of a full magazine. Revel in your gladness at having the option to conceal carry.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran

Welcome aboard!

While racism is not the current drive, it was the impetus to ban handguns from being carried in Texas. It's sad that all the bigots passed such an unconstitutional law in the first place, and even more sad what drove them to do it. Now, the rich, mostly white, people just get concealed carry licenses and don't stop to think about the fact that they are still bigots against poor people and those who otherwise have a Constitutional right to be armed without a license.

If the minorities would focus on this, they would gain much support from politicians and feel-good community leaders and even celebrities for repealing Texas' racist unconstitutional law.

Gil223

Welcome to OCDO. If you joined an "OPEN CARRY" advocacy group for the sole purpose of stating that you would "never" open carry out of a perceived fear...you may be one bullet short of a full magazine. Revel in your gladness at having the option to conceal carry.
I believe his point was that he is a black man, and that OC'ing a handgun could put him in a particularly high level of danger from our militarized police forces. I could understand that position...

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I fully support the right to open carry a long gun.

It is my personal opinion however, that it is pointless and counter intuitive to the cause of OC for anyone to OC a long gun in the city, at Starbucks or the grocery store, for instance. Should it be illegal? HELL NO. Do I do it or would I ever (unless there was another civil war)? HELL NO. But I would be a hypocrite if I were to say I do not support people's right to do so. I don't think it will ever be normal nor should it be, really. I agree with the above comments about OCing an AR while hiking or out in the country. That's the place for a long gun. IMO...

I agree with this word for word.

(Except I think you meant "counter-productive". :))

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

The only thing wrong I see with the photo could that be a Black Hawk serpa and a Glock we all know how dangerous that combo is./S/

Good to see another open carrier.

OC for ME

Photoshopped...obviously; cuz that young-ish white girl in the background is not terrified at the sight of a black man with a gat! I also do not see the other folks wetting themselves a fleeing in terror, nor a SWAT team closing in.

Yepper...Photoshopped.

sudden valley gunner

LOL...thanks for the humor and the compliments.

This was the year he turned 21, Smith and Wesson compact 9 in a black hawk holster, and nope noone ran away screaming or scared.

Unfortunately he has moved Hawaii, so no more OCing, :cry:

mikeyb

Photoshopped...obviously; cuz that young-ish white girl in the background is not terrified at the sight of a black man with a gat! I also do not see the other folks wetting themselves a fleeing in terror, nor a SWAT team closing in.

Yepper...Photoshopped.

Clearly. $2.99 for Cinnabon bread? I don't think so. ;) That bread makes awesome french 'Merican toast.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
It shouldn't make any difference, but as it stands I'm tickled pink to see a black man OCing like it's a completely routine thing (he looks respectable, but completely casual). Good on your nephew!

Tell him to fix his hat ! Other than that, he's good to go (I don't think its a Green Bay hat .... )

papa bear

I believe his point was that he is a black man, and that OC'ing a handgun could put him in a particularly high level of danger from our militarized police forces. I could understand that position...

but the fact that he is carrying , will educate the ignorant. we should be supporting him.