• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

loan company(s) remotely shutting down default vehicles?

DrakeZ07

I guess i have lived long enough to see the furtherance of the Orwellian society in action:

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/09...-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=1&

and one loan collector mentioned in the article was proud of his actions.

ipse

Honestly, I have no problem with that. Take it as you will, but until you pay off a loan, you don't own anything for which you took out a loan on to buy. My bank told me that if I wanted to buy a new jeep, that I had to make payments on-time, all the time, the jeep had to have full coverage insurance, and and the insurance had to pay out to the bank if there was no injuries in an accident. I hated the terms, but that's the terms that every bank and loan officer I went to, offered. It's a contract, a legal, and binding contract, and a part of the capitalist system. If you wanted to buy a car, and I was the only one who would loan you money to buy said car, but my terms said that you had to pay me on time, or I'd shot off the loan-car, then you either accept my terms, or you just work a bit more and buy the car yourself.

As far as not being able to use her car to take her kid to a hospital... Hmm, lesse here, there is something called NINE-ONE-ONE! It's a free service to use, and they do have payment options for people who don't have medical insurance. Or, maybe take a counseling, and education classes, on how to react to, and treat, from home, asthmatic attacks in children, and adults, alike. That article made me face-paw so hard, I now have a headache.

[This part is probably going to get snipped out by a mod]

Maybe, just maybe, if that mother didn't feed herself, and her daughter a feast for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, they could take the money spent on filling up the hog troughs, and use it to keep her car payments on time. I mean come on! Medically, and generally speaking, a kid that looks like that ... AIN'T GONNA BE HEALTHY! Feed that kid less, and make them walk more. You might find the asthma will rid itself when the kid isn't a miniture version of the michilin man.

Last edited:

solus

wow drake, kudos as i am not quite sure how you morf'd a response about automatic vehicle shutoff for failure to pay the car loan payment into a tirade about your projection of someone who might, just might due to the great recession be struggling to make financial ends meet who's daughter has a medical condition that may or may not be attributed to their eating and exercise habits.

ipse

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Sounds like she wouldn't have had the van at all if not for the device that she KNEW ahead of time would not let her use it while payments were in arrears.

She also is in Las Vegas. We have a bus system that goes everywhere. We are a large metropolitan area, and I doubt she was so knew to the area that she had no friends that could help with emergency transportation.

And we do have emergency services for emergencies, though the details of some "emergencies" are best saved for sympathy when complaining about people you borrow money from under terms you accept.

Being poor sucks. Been there. Didn't blame anyone else for my inexperience and wishful spending that got me there.