Thread: New NC resident

New NC resident

Hi all,

I just moved to Wilmington and am going to take NC CCP class in couple of weeks. My question is, I had CCP in SC and still currently have an Arizona CCP. I was told by local gun owner that I had to have NC CCP to carry in NC even with my Arizona license? Is this true, just because I am now NC resident they don't recognize my Arizona license which has reciprocity with NC?

Thanks
    Avtech

Quote Originally Posted by Avtech View Post
    Hi all,

I just moved to Wilmington and am going to take NC CCP class in couple of weeks. My question is, I had CCP in SC and still currently have an Arizona CCP. I was told by local gun owner that I had to have NC CCP to carry in NC even with my Arizona license? Is this true, just because I am now NC resident they don't recognize my Arizona license which has reciprocity with NC?

Thanks
    Avtech
    I just looked through the CHP statutes and the only thing I could find about out-of-state concealed carry permits is that NC will recognize them if they are VALID. I guess the onus is on you to determine whether the permit you have is still valid now that you have moved to a different state.

Here is a link to Article 54B of Chapter 14 of the NCGS, which deals with the CHP:
    http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedL...ticle_54B.html

As for the validity of your out-of-state permit, you will have to look up the laws in Arizona.

Hi all,

Thanks
    Avtech
    first welcome to the Tarheel state...
    now let's see, one thought crosses my mind, since you are on a Open Carry forum asking a question about your conceal carry rights causes me a bit of confusion...however to be neighbourly, i should point out the Tarheel state is a model state for OC and with minor exceptions can carry everywhere a NC citizen can with their CHP and in some cases, an OC'r can carry more places than the CC'r, so why would you wish to spend the money for the CHP training and then provide the sheriff further compensation for a privilege?

however, to clarify your initial query...if you could quantify a couple of items...
    have you gotten your NC DL ? did you use your AZ DL to obtain it and did NC DMV punch it? have you registered your vehicle in NC ~ receiving NC licence plates?

if you have gotten your NC DL using your AZ DL and registered your vehicle you are now an official Tarheel resident which renders your AZ CWP invalid as it is a 'AZ state resident' issued document. http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concealed_Weapons/

if you did not get your NC DL or register your vehicle, then continue using your AZ DL & CHP. Understand if you are working within the state, NC Statutes (20-series) state you are required, within 30 days, to get a NC DL.

i shan't provide the normal oc' links since i do not believe you wish to OC in the state except on occasion.

again welcome

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Welcome to the state, and OCDO! My advice is when in doubt keep it out(OC). You will find it refreshing to free yourself of those government bonds, and exercise liberty.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

All

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    first welcome to the Tarheel state...
    now let's see, one thought crosses my mind, since you are on a Open Carry forum asking a question about your conceal carry rights causes me a bit of confusion...however to be neighbourly, i should point out the Tarheel state is a model state for OC and with minor exceptions can carry everywhere a NC citizen can with their CHP and in some cases, an OC'r can carry more places than the CC'r, so why would you wish to spend the money for the CHP training and then provide the sheriff further compensation for a privilege?

however, to clarify your initial query...if you could quantify a couple of items...
    have you gotten your NC DL ? did you use your AZ DL to obtain it and did NC DMV punch it? have you registered your vehicle in NC ~ receiving NC licence plates?

if you have gotten your NC DL using your AZ DL and registered your vehicle you are now an official Tarheel resident which renders your AZ CWP invalid as it is a 'AZ state resident' issued document. http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concealed_Weapons/

if you did not get your NC DL or register your vehicle, then continue using your AZ DL & CHP. Understand if you are working within the state, NC Statutes (20-series) state you are required, within 30 days, to get a NC DL.

i shan't provide the normal oc' links since i do not believe you wish to OC in the state except on occasion.

again welcome

ipse
    All,

Yes I realize I am on an OC forum asking about CWP, however I was reading a post on here and you all sounded very knowledgable which is why I am asking here.
    I moved here from SC where I had my SC CWP. A lot of us in SC get either the AZ or UT CWP so we can carry in GA and a couple of other states that do not recognize SC CWP. I am now a legal resident of NC but still hold my AZ license which is still a valid license.
    As far as open carry, I like the idea and also like CWP. I had also heard that the LEO's in New Hanover County like to hassle OC enthusiast and don't feel like dealing with that mess.

You will not be able to get a CWP in North Carolina. Try to get a CHP instead...
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

.........the Tarheel state is a model state for OC and with minor exceptions can carry everywhere a NC citizen can with their CHP............
    "are you just gonna throw the grenade after you forgot to pull the pin"
    Last edited by gary737; 09-26-2014 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gary737 View Post
    Lol

Dont do that it hurts to get hit by them.
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Hi all,

Thanks
    Avtech

Perhaps these will be of some interest to you.

http://www.ncdoj.com/getdoc/32344299...-gun-Laws.aspx

http://www.handgunlaw.us/
    Last edited by American Patriot; 09-26-2014 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gary737 View Post
    ya know sug, ya gotta love it when i am quoted out of context from an entirely different thread by someone who is miff'd and ego hurt the comment was used on them...

i guess the idiom is truthful ~ Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

gary, shall i presume your ego has now been appeased...

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 09-26-2014 at 08:47 PM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

All,

Yes I realize I am on an OC forum asking about CWP, however I was reading a post on here and you all sounded very knowledgable which is why I am asking here.
    I moved here from SC where I had my SC CWP. A lot of us in SC get either the AZ or UT CWP so we can carry in GA and a couple of other states that do not recognize SC CWP. I am now a legal resident of NC but still hold my AZ license which is still a valid license.
    As far as open carry, I like the idea and also like CWP. I had also heard that the LEO's in New Hanover County like to hassle OC enthusiast and don't feel like dealing with that mess.
    my expectations have been met.

ipse

ya know sug, ya gotta love it when i am quoted out of context from an entirely different thread by someone who is miff'd and ego hurt the comment was used on them...

i guess the idiom is truthful ~ Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

gary, shall i presume your ego has now been appeased...

ipse
    I Just find it amusing that when someone on this OC forum even suggests that there might be an advantage to CC, they are jumped on by the forum "experts". But then turn around and reply to another with basically what they originally took offense of.

Your right, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... Thanks!