• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry for felon with restored rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanman

Can someone explain how i passed the background check and recieved my pistol permit then? Wouldnt they see my felonies

Primus

Can someone explain how i passed the background check and recieved my pistol permit then? Wouldnt they see my felonies
Define "background check". Do you know exactly how/ what they looked at?

Was it a local check? State check? Federal check? Of it was local and it occures in different state or even county it may not appear on their local system.

wrightme

To answer that question, we would need to know the nature of the bg check they did. That is what we have been trying to share with you. Just getting that only satisfies state needs, not federal.

The nature of your conviction is quite relevant. With that information, and the links we have presented to you, YOU have the information you need to use to find out.

Read the statutes, state and federal. Check the nature of the offense you were convicted of, and how that specific conviction is seen by the state and federal firearms regulations, and by the items shown for right restoration.

IOW, 'it all depends.' You have been given the information. We cannot use that information for you.

Evil Creamsicle

The police management of the pistol registration system in Michigan has been piss-poor in my experience, to the point where they have failed more than once to register the same handgun even though proper procedure was followed.

It would not surprise me in the least if they missed something. Consult an attorney.

vanman said:
I have the purchase permit in hand. I could go to a store and walk out right now buying a gun in my name. I passed everything. Anybody a lawyer in the area i could email and maybe ask a few questions? I called michigan state police and is advice was go buy one and if you pass your check and walk out with one your all good. He said atf does the checks and thats federal so of you pass federal then you pass here in michigan.

The problem here is that, if you are incorrect, and you attempt this, they might pick you up just for attempting to illegally purchase a handgun. Consult an attorney.

Last edited:

Plan B

Banned
I have the purchase permit in hand. I could go to a store and walk out right now buying a gun in my name. I passed everything. Anybody a lawyer in the area i could email and maybe ask a few questions? I called michigan state police and is advice was go buy one and if you pass your check and walk out with one your all good. He said atf does the checks and thats federal so of you pass federal then you pass here in michigan.

Chances are good, that a lawyer isnt going to call you, don't sit by the phone. You're going to need to contact them. Go to Michigan Gun Owners, and sign up, you'll be able to access their Legal Beagle forum; attorneys have their contact info posted there.

Good question. Raises another good question..no, two....What is it that they are checking for in these LTP background checks, and why is that information not common knowledge around here?

Last edited:

papa bear

VANMAN, welcome to the forum. please do not take advise from the internet. and , do not, repeat do not listen to any LEO either. they are there to arrest people. they do not know the laws, or worse will give false info just because.

now after that i will advise you to first seek a gun knowledgeable lawyer. check with the MI coalition for responsible gun owners, or the MI gun owners. both of these groups will have a list

but i would not do a NICS. if i understand it right. if you as a felon try to buy a gun. you have broken the law. but please talk to a gun lawyer first

MikeTheGreek

OP, Don't ever take the advice from people online about things that could cause you to end up in jail. Things like this need to be discussed with an actual lawyer, as many links, and quotes, and etc as we can send you, it could all be wrong and we would have absolutely no idea, and following advice here could be an extremely bad idea in your case.

Good luck brother!

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
As I understand it, the check that local LEOs do for the permit to purchase is treated as equal to the NICS check. I know for a fact, they do a federal level check, when I first moved here, stuff came up about a guy with the same name as me, who had convictions in Illinois and Wisconsin. Fortunately, it only took a day for me to get that straightened out.

Still, if I were the OP, I'd contact an attorney and get a real, legal opinion.

I also think this thread has run it's course.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.