• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Liquor Store Carry

Robert318

Just thought I would share what a store owner told me today.

I went to my local liquor store today and while I was walking to the counter I noticed the clerk had a sidearm on her hip.
I said nice accessory
she said thanks
I said thats nice to see becuase I carry also and turned to show her mine.
She immediately said your not supposed to have that in here.
I said oh I'm sorry I didn't see your sign.
She said no sign it's illegal to carry in a liquor store
I couldn't help but chuckle a little while responding no it's not
She said the police station and an officer told me that I was the only one allowed because Im the owner.
I told her they told her wrong that only in a place of business where alcohol is consumed and is their primary source of revenue and though it is their primary source of revenue it is illegal to consume alcohol in a liquor store therefore not included in the statute that its intent and means its for bars.
She said well the police told me that.
I told her I want to encourage you to do more research and pointed her to the osbi website that they have the law book available for you to download and research and to this forum also. That I respected her place of business and I wouldnt carry in her store if she didnt want me too.
She said she didnt care.
Then we had a little more friendly conversation and I left.

Either she was lying or was misinformed or there are still uninformed or misleading officers, I'm beting its one of the later.

TITLE 21 § 1272.1 CARRYING FIREARMS WHERE LIQUOR IS CONSUMED

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry or possess any weapon designated in Section 1272 of this title in any establishment where low-point beer, as defined by Section 163.2 of Title 37 of the Oklahoma Statutes, or alcoholic beverages, as defined by Section 506 of Title 37 of the Oklahoma Statutes, are consumed. This provision shall not apply to a peace officer, as defined in Section 99 of this title, or to private investigators with a firearms authorization when acting in the scope and course of employment, and shall not apply to an owner or proprietor of the establishment having a pistol, rifle, or shotgun on the premises. Provided however, a person possessing a valid handgun license pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act may carry the concealed or unconcealed handgun into any restaurant or other establishment licensed to dispense low-point beer or alcoholic beverages where the sale of low-point beer or alcoholic beverages does not constitute the primary purpose of the business.
Provided further, nothing in this section shall be interpreted to authorize any peace officer in actual physical possession of a weapon to consume low-point beer or alcoholic beverages, except in the authorized line of duty as an undercover officer.
Nothing in this section shall be interpreted to authorize any private investigator with a firearms authorization in actual physical possession of a weapon to consume low-point beer or alcoholic beverages in any establishment where low-point beer or alcoholic beverages are consumed.

http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2013.pdf

Last edited: