Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minor incident at Home Depot last week

Minor incident at Home Depot last week

Here is a little story of my Wednesday Home Depot shopping.

Went to Home Depot, where I go at least once a week. As I'm entering there stand 2 greeters. I know most of them and usually chat for a moment. This time there was a short older guy with a beard. Never seen him before.

He looks at me and says cover that up! I asked what, this? (my 1911) Why? He said because the sign says so. I hadn't seen a sign there and always open carried in there so I turned around and went out and looked. I walked back in and said 'well it says I can't bring my dog in here and that's all I see". So he goes out and looks and says they must have taken the sign down. I very sarcastically said 'yea, I guess they did!' But, he says, cover it up anyway.

I have reached my limit on BS so I asked him if he was making store policy. He was quick to say no, but added that some people got nervous when they saw guns. I then explained that we live in AZ and if folks got nervous when they see guns they needed to get back to CA ASAP. Enough already!
    Reminded me of that old song, Stuck in the middle. "There's clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right"
    After that, all went well.

Old uncle Ho. aka Lynn McFadden

Quote Originally Posted by Old Uncle Ho View Post
    SNIP...He looks at me and says cover that up! I asked what, this? (my 1911) Why? He said because the sign says so. I hadn't seen a sign there and always open carried in there so I turned around and went out and looked. I walked back in and said 'well it says I can't bring my dog in here and that's all I see". So he goes out and looks and says they must have taken the sign down. I very sarcastically said 'yea, I guess they did!' But, he says, cover it up anyway.

I have reached my limit on BS so I asked him if he was making store policy. He was quick to say no, but added that some people got nervous when they saw guns. I then explained that we live in AZ and if folks got nervous when they see guns they needed to get back to CA ASAP. Enough already!
    Would you feel comfortable saying which store this occurred at? Maybe a call letting the manager know one of his employees is costing him the business of several law-abiding patrons will straighten this out. Also, that does sound like typical slave-state behaviour.

I frequent two Home Depots in the Phoenix area and occasionally visit one down here in Tucson, but never dealt with an employee making anti-carry policy. As a matter of fact, Home Depot was the first business I OCed at, and it was one of the greates experiences I've had to date.

Reminded me of that old song, Stuck in the middle. "There's clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right"
    With so many transplants coming into AZ with the same mentality they were trying to escape from, that song just might become a theme song of sorts.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    ...Maybe a call letting the manager know one of his employees...
    ...is making store policy on his own authority and confronting regular shoppers about it, including serious misinformation about signage which can have force of law in AZ.

After getting the manager's reaction, then only escalate as required.

OP:

Do NOT just "let it go." Don't be upset about it, either. Just politely ask the manager that the employee be trained on the issue of firearms and leaving shoppers alone. Those of us that shop there later thank you.
    Last edited by MAC702; 09-27-2014 at 01:07 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Banned
    Uncle Ho used great restraint ... good job

Nice job, Uncle Ho, but I also wonder if some contact with a store manager is in order? Like the others, I've always found carrying at HD to be a non-event.

Stealers Wheel....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Old Uncle Ho, let us know if anything else comes of this and how they respond.

Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    Stealers Wheel....
    Found it, and it isn't a bad song. Stealers Wheel, "Stuck in the Middle With You"
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 09-27-2014 at 07:28 PM.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

HP thanks - awesome tune!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Always brings this movie clip to mind- (** graphic violence & language **)

http://youtu.be/-DlNsMIIyU8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Michael Madsen was OC w his shoulder holster and no coat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

To Rusty Young Man

[QUOTE=Rusty Young Man;2094433]Would you feel comfortable saying which store this occurred at? Maybe a call letting the manager know one of his employees is costing him the business of several law-abiding patrons will straighten this out. Also, that does sound like typical slave-state behaviour.

Rusty; The HD in question is in Oro Valley. North Oracle rd. I have to say that this is the very first time I have ever run into this attitude at HD. I'm sure it was an anomaly. I also firmly believe that the person in question will be a bit more cautious in the future. I am of the opinion that he dislikes guns and now he also dislikes at least one gun owner. lol. Before I sign off, let me put in a plug for our very own AZ pro-gun organization. See the link below. If you are a shooter or just a gun owner, after reading the list of accomplishments by this great AZ organization in the link below you will see why it's important that you join.

Old Uncle Ho aka Lynn McFadden

http://www.azcdl.org/html/accomplishments.html

http://www.azcdl.org/html/membership.html At the bottom of this link is a link for an application blank.

Thanks for the AzCDL plug

As an FYI, Guns & Ammo magazine recently rated Arizona as the number one state for concealed carry.

Yeah, I know this an OC forum. Guns & Ammo also rated Arizona as the best state for guns owners for the last 2 years.

Click on this link to read the article at AzCDL's Latest News page.

Before you out of state lurkers get all apoplectic, please understand that Guns & Ammo picked the rating criteria. As far as we're concerned a lot more needs to be done to be truly free and on certain issues (e.g., Restaurant Carry) a number of other states have better laws than Arizona.

Meanwhile we'll take a short break to bask in the glow of success

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by azcdlfred View Post
    ...As an FYI, Guns & Ammo magazine recently rated Arizona as the number one state for concealed carry. ...

Before you out of state lurkers get all apoplectic, please understand that Guns & Ammo picked the rating criteria. As far as we're concerned a lot more needs to be done to be truly free and on certain issues (e.g., Restaurant Carry) a number of other states have better laws than Arizona. ...
    As much as I like AZ, restaurant/bar carry is a big deal for me. I love NV!

AZ gets put over the top in any NRA or G&A or other commercial polling, because of concealing without a permit, but for OC'ers, NV has more freedoms. So...

Now TX, on the other hand. Ha! I laugh when people tell me how "pro gun" Texas is.

I don't count as a lurker...
    Last edited by MAC702; 09-28-2014 at 02:03 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Definitely talk to the store manager. That employee is in violation of company policy. If you really want to get their attention fill out the voc. Its an online survey that district looks at. There are directions for it on the bottom of the receipt. Plus you'll be entered into a contest for a $5,000 gift card.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    As much as I like AZ, restaurant/bar carry is a big deal for me.
    Before living in Arizona and founding AzCDL I lived in Virginia for 15 years. If they had Constitutional Carry they would beat Arizona hands down.

The Dillon Rule gives them much greater preemption. I could walk into any state or local government building wearing a gun unmolested. I could walk into a bar carrying openly and have a drink.

I co-founded AzCDL because after moving to Arizona I quickly discovered the "Wild West" was pure fairy tale.

Arizona was more like an eastern suburb of California. The old timers were suffering from the Boiling Frog syndrome and acted like it was still the early 1900's. The Yankee and California transplants were happy they could beg the state for a "permit" to carry a gun.

We reversed a lot of the Californication of Arizona's gun laws but there is much more work to do. As the saying goes if you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem. Sitting on the sidelines and engaging in esoteric discussions on gun boards does not equate to activism.

Fred
    Last edited by azcdlfred; 09-28-2014 at 07:22 PM.

SNIP...Before I sign off, let me put in a plug for our very own AZ pro-gun organization. See the link below. If you are a shooter or just a gun owner, after reading the list of accomplishments by this great AZ organization in the link below you will see why it's important that you join.

Old Uncle Ho aka Lynn McFadden
    Renewed my membership about three weeks ago, and AzCDLFred made sure my new membership card got to me despite what may have been an activist mailman.
    Does this mean you'll be in attendance at the annual luncheon (in Phoenix, Saturday, 11th of October for those who've not yet heard)?

As much as I like AZ, restaurant/bar carry is a big deal for me. I love NV!
    SNIP...
    Now TX, on the other hand. Ha! I laugh when people tell me how "pro gun" Texas is.

I don't count as a lurker...
    The fight's not yet over, and more reinforcements are coming in.
    As for Texas, I almost LOLed when one professor described seeing an OCer in Tucson made him think "I was in Texas".

I like the comment go back to CA!

I have never shopped in a home cheapo before. Never had any near me before and even if I did just not interested in shopping there. I am annoyed that because I'm a college student I cannot be armed all the time without consequences. Most of my days are home to campus and then other things afterward. I find it a hassle to try and put everything on and most of the time don't carry because of this. With all the B.S. going on I always have a sick feeling that something may happen while my tool is left in the car.

Minor incident at Home Depot last week

I got talked to a couple of years back. It was a pleasant conversation with a gent at my local depot that was working. It went like this: him "what you carrying?" "Never saw one in that color" "How do you like it?" Etc... I answered and explained the plating and fit finish and why the plating (helps with the sweat baths in summer) ... All seemed to make sense to him and he thanked me for the info as we parted.

The number of OCers I have seen in the wild here is still pretty low, but hopefully it continues to grow in the metropolitan areas as folks learn that it is a good idea as police forces and criminals learn of cuts in services. That and it's not that big of a deal to anyone who has any time here in AZ.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...udio/14989333/
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 09-29-2014 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HolyOrangeJuice View Post
    I like the comment go back to CA!

I have never shopped in a home cheapo before. Never had any near me before and even if I did just not interested in shopping there. I am annoyed that because I'm a college student I cannot be armed all the time without consequences. Most of my days are home to campus and then other things afterward. I find it a hassle to try and put everything on and most of the time don't carry because of this. With all the B.S. going on I always have a sick feeling that something may happen while my tool is left in the car.
    Yes sir, being a college student myself I totally understand the frustration of not being able to arm yourself while on campus as far as everything being a hassle I can tell you that practice makes perfect. I put my side-arm on my person in about 2 minutes, yes its an extra 2 minutes but at the same time I would rather arm and defend myself dealing with the 2 minute hassle then have to wait 3+ minutes for a LEO to come save me, especially with a firearm pointed at me or any other object that could put my life and the lives of those around me in danger. This is not to say I am anti-law enforcement (I want to be a Police Officer myself), I just understand the safety and security of my family falls on myself first and foremost.

We're working on it

Here is a little story of my Wednesday Home Depot shopping.

Went to Home Depot, where I go at least once a week. As I'm entering there stand 2 greeters. I know most of them and usually chat for a moment. This time there was a short older guy with a beard. Never seen him before.

He looks at me and says cover that up! I asked what, this? (my 1911) Why? He said because the sign says so. I hadn't seen a sign there and always open carried in there so I turned around and went out and looked. I walked back in and said 'well it says I can't bring my dog in here and that's all I see". So he goes out and looks and says they must have taken the sign down. I very sarcastically said 'yea, I guess they did!' But, he says, cover it up anyway.

Old uncle Ho. aka Lynn McFadden
    Had this happen to my 23 yr. old son in Mississippi at Cracker Barrel by the manager except there is no sign and they knew it. They said there policy say if a customer complains they have to ask you to remove the gun. They threaten to call the police and since it was his first time to be challenged they had words but he put the gun back in the car. He wasn't sure of the law if he was right or wrong when ask to put it up or leave a business. I believe if there's no sign they don't have a leg to stand on. Call the police.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchdog826 View Post
    Had this happen to my 23 yr. old son in Mississippi at Cracker Barrel by the manager except there is no sign and they knew it. They said there policy say if a customer complains they have to ask you to remove the gun. They threaten to call the police and since it was his first time to be challenged they had words but he put the gun back in the car. He wasn't sure of the law if he was right or wrong when ask to put it up or leave a business. I believe if there's no sign they don't have a leg to stand on. Call the police.
    Nope. Negative. Does not work that way.
    Not your property, not your rules.
    If asked to leave then leave.
    Otherwise you can be charged with trespassing.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Tks AZCDLFRED

(AZCDLFred. I co-founded AzCDL because after moving to Arizona I quickly discovered the "Wild West" was pure fairy tale.)

I have to thank you for co-founding AZCDL, Fred. I can't even imagine the work it took to get it started. You have to be proud of your accomplishments. I hope to meet you at a show one day and shake your hand. Some over 11,100 members now so I understand.

While I'm here, I understand that there are regular get togethers of open carriers at various restaurants. I would dearly love to get an invite to join up with them. If you or anyone else can put me in touch with them, or them in touch with me it would be greatly appreciated. Tks in advance. A when and where and I'll try very hard to make it.

Old uncle ho

WHEN DEMOCRACY TURNS TO TYRANNY, THE ARMED CITIZENRY STILL GETS TO VOTE.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchdog826 View Post
    As mentioned, a sign is not necessary. If you have been directly asked to leave, you must. Arguing about it is trespassing.

Cracker Barrel is a known anti-carry establishment. I've not eaten at one for many years now because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Uncle Ho;2095188I
    have to thank you for co-founding AZCDL, Fred. I can't even imagine the work it took to get it started. You have to be proud of your accomplishments. I hope to meet you at a show one day and shake your hand. Some over 11,100 members now so I understand.
    Thanks for compliment Lynn. It was a labor of love, born out of frustration with the status quo. An unintended consequence of our success is that I am spending my retirement "volunteering" (working for free) 8 hours a day, 7 days a week, running the business end of AzCDL. But the commute is easy, a stairway to my home office, and no one tells me what to do.

While I'm here, I understand that there are regular get togethers of open carriers at various restaurants. I would dearly love to get an invite to join up with them. If you or anyone else can put me in touch with them, or them in touch with me it would be greatly appreciated. Tks in advance. A when and where and I'll try very hard to make it.
    Try Gunburger (sorry I don't have a link). And of course we encourage open carry at the annual meeting.

Fred

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast