• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A Policy For Guns In The Workplace

hunter45

Then show your support of OC by carrying without your "I am special" Junior G-Man Badge. Deal with the issue of OCing like the rest of us have to.

stay safe.

When I'm in Virginia, I do OC without a badge, just like I always have. However, OC is illegal in South Carolina, so I don't have that option here.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
When I'm in Virginia, I do OC without a badge, just like I always have. However, OC is illegal in South Carolina, so I don't have that option here.

Then don't flaunt your "special" status. And work with the rest of the folks in SC to change the status of OC while suffering the same hardships and discomforts as they have to endure.

As far as I'm concerned when you flash the badge as a "Get away with something most people can't do" card you are not doing what most people can't do - you are claiming special privilege and distancing yourself from those without that privilege.

At this point I think I've said all that can be said from this side of the discussion. I do wish the people of SC good luck in their efforts to make OC legal.

stay safe.

cjohnson44546

Companies don't want this.

If they allow guns, they might end up finically responsible for 'accidents' or stray shots during a self defense shooting, etc...

If their employee dies or can no longer work after being attacked because they could not defend themselves... then they just hire a new person.

Employees are easy replaceable... the bottom line is more important to them.

TFred

Companies don't want this.

If they allow guns, they might end up finically responsible for 'accidents' or stray shots during a self defense shooting, etc...

If their employee dies or can no longer work after being attacked because they could not defend themselves... then they just hire a new person.

Employees are easy replaceable... the bottom line is more important to them.
This makes no sense. Why would there be any less liability for an employee killed or injured by a criminal, than for an employee killed or injured by an accident? Especially when the first case could be directly affected by the policy that denies them the tool to defend themselves?

Some of our legal experts have opined that there IS liability on the part of companies who deny self-protection tools. Perhaps we just need a very high-dollar, high-visibility civil liability case to wake up the corporate attorneys.

ETA: If the mentality you describe is true, what this tells me is that the corporate bean counters have been suckered into believing the anti-gun propaganda about things such as no real defensive use of guns, and gun owners more likely to hurt themselves than to defend against an attack, etc, etc.

TFred

Last edited:

cjohnson44546

This makes no sense. Why would there be any less liability for an employee killed or injured by a criminal, than for an employee killed or injured by an accident? Especially when the first case could be directly affected by the policy that denies them the tool to defend themselves?

Some of our legal experts have opined that there IS liability on the part of companies who deny self-protection tools. Perhaps we just need a very high-dollar, high-visibility civil liability case to wake up the corporate attorneys.

ETA: If the mentality you describe is true, what this tells me is that the corporate bean counters have been suckered into believing the anti-gun propaganda about things such as no real defensive use of guns, and gun owners more likely to hurt themselves than to defend against an attack, etc, etc.

TFred

I never said it made sense. Even insurance rates in public places like restaurants can be lower if guns are banned, etc... They'd have a much harder time proving the company was responsible in any way if they can prove the gunman/attacker/whatever was at fault. I'd love to see a case happen where a company disarmed its employees, someone was seriously hurt or killed and the company was sued for a fortune for preventing adequate self defense for the employee. I don't see this being able to happen in our current judicial system though.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I never said it made sense. Even insurance rates in public places like restaurants can be lower if guns are banned, etc... They'd have a much harder time proving the company was responsible in any way if they can prove the gunman/attacker/whatever was at fault. I'd love to see a case happen where a company disarmed its employees, someone was seriously hurt or killed and the company was sued for a fortune for preventing adequate self defense for the employee. I don't see this being able to happen in our current judicial system though.
Cite please.

I've heard this [strike]old wives[/strike] tale for years. I've never seen an example even though I was directly involved in the property management industry.

cjohnson44546

Cite please.

I've heard this [strike]old wives[/strike] tale for years. I've never seen an example even though I was directly involved in the property management industry.

I know of no story on the internet that can prove things done behind closed doors or under the table.
From what I've been told, by business owners I've talked to, that some have been offered "discounts" for doing certain things that help lessen civil liability in case of being sued... one of which was to ban guns on the premesis. I seriously doubt anything like this would be made public knowledge, as its something most people would accept as true. It could also be business owners not wanting to admit they just hate guns so make something up that sounds plausible.

I have no doubt insurance companies hate guns though... just like banks... when you see several stories like this one.
http://misguidedchildren.com/politics/2014/06/insurance-companies-joining-financial-institutions-on-gun-ban/23049

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I know of no story on the internet that can prove things done behind closed doors or under the table.
From what I've been told, by business owners I've talked to, that some have been offered "discounts" for doing certain things that help lessen civil liability in case of being sued... one of which was to ban guns on the premesis. I seriously doubt anything like this would be made public knowledge, as its something most people would accept as true. It could also be business owners not wanting to admit they just hate guns so make something up that sounds plausible.

I have no doubt insurance companies hate guns though... just like banks... when you see several stories like this one.
http://misguidedchildren.com/politi...ining-financial-institutions-on-gun-ban/23049
I understand what you are saying, though I think the premise follows the thought that "a lie told often enough...."

In all of my years as a director of Property Management, I never saw one such denial, restriction, or additional premium via property or liability insurance.