• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

U.S. Forest Service Fining People for Taking Pictures in National Forests

since9

Campaign Veteran
Dear Congressman X:

We the People of the United States of America do NOT fork out over $5 BILLION to the U.S. Forest Service just so they can turn around and fine us $1,000 for taking photos of family members or our campsite in a national forest!

Yes, it's true.

Colorado is covered in National Forest, as are much of our other 50 States. I've taken thousands of pictures of friends, family, nature, and wildlife in National Forests. Must I now stuff them all in a box or on a hard drive never to be seen again because yet another government agency is being allowed to create its own income-generating rules at the expense of U.S. Taxpayers and without proper or effective, much less sane, Congressional oversight?

Why is Congress allowing government agencies to run roughshod over the People whom government is supposed to be serving, not fleecing?

What, specifically, are you going to do to put an immediate stop to this insane nonsense?

"According to the text of the regulation, the USFS requires a permit for any photography that “uses models, sets, or props that are not a part of the site’s natural or cultural resources.” So technically, if your mom in your hiking photo, she’s a model, and you owe USFS a thousand bucks. Want to take a picture of your backpack on top of a summit? Sorry, that’s a prop, fork over another grand."

Here's a link to the regulation.

Do you know what time it is? It's time to change the blasted regulation! That's what time it is!

davidmcbeth

Banned
According to the text of the regulation, the USFS requires a permit for any photography that “uses models, sets, or props that are not a part of the site’s natural or cultural resources.”

So no one can take pics of me at a park? I'm a model, you know what I mean.

I have not read the regulation because its not linked in the article (the current one is a modification of an existing reg related to commercial photography).

But I think we can still take pics at parks w/o issue from reading the comments on the web page.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...I have not read the regulation because its not linked in the article (the current one is a modification of an existing reg related to commercial photography).

But I think we can still take pics at parks w/o issue from reading the comments on the web page.

This is my ASSUMPTION as well, but I am critical of the, no doubt purposely, vague wording so that it COULD apply to broader circumstances as they later see fit.

They see me OC'ing? They can now use the fact that I am constantly surrounded by beautiful models as RAS for detaining me.

Last edited:

rightwinglibertarian

Pictures are as protected by the 1st Amendment as taking videos of police. Since this is true taking pictures isn't RAS to stop and detain, therefore no one will no your name or address and can't extort money from you for exercising a right.