• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Please update site and anyone who open carrys!!!!!

wrightme

IT IS NOT BY LAW ILLEGAL TO OPEN CARRY A FIREARM IN YOUR VEHICLE.

Handguns vs Long Guns in Vehicles[edit]
Beginning November 1, 2011, it is legal to load a handgun, or to transport a loaded handgun cased or uncased, in a vehicle without a license. NOTE: This does NOT apply to long guns; they still must be unloaded, but now may be uncased. There is still some confusion as to whether or not an encased gun is concealed, so if it is cased, best practice is to keep the long gun out of reach. Long guns must be "discernable to ordinary observation", since a conceal carry license does not apply. Previously all firearms had to be unloaded & encased (per the transport statute), & out of reach (derived from the concealed carry statute). Those with a concealed carry license may conceal a pistol in a vehicle.

WI statute 167.31[16]

Actually, you really need to cite your source for the quote you presented. And, I would caution you to NOT use wikipedia as a direct source, but use it to find links to actual sources. In this case, had you taken the time to follow the link to the source cited at the wikipedia page, you would have been led directly to the actual WI statute referenced. At that point, you should easily have found out that it is 'by law,' illegal to carry a firearm in your vehicle. The statute then lists exceptions.

167.31  Safe use and transportation of firearms and bows.
(1)  Definitions. In this section:
(a) "Aircraft" has the meaning given under s. 114.002 (3).
(b) "Encased" means enclosed in a case that is completely zipped, snapped, buckled, tied or otherwise fastened with no part of the firearm exposed.
(bg) "Family member of the landowner" means a person who is related to the landowner as a parent, child, spouse, or sibling.
(bn) "Farm tractor" has the meaning given in s. 340.01 (16).
(c) "Firearm" means a weapon that acts by force of gunpowder.
(cm) "Handgun" has the meaning given in s. 175.60 (1) (bm).
(d) "Highway" has the meaning given under s. 340.01 (22).
(dm) "Implement of husbandry" has the meaning given in s. 340.01 (24).
(e) "Motorboat" has the meaning given under s. 30.50 (6).
(em) "Peace officer" has the meaning given in s. 939.22 (22).
(et) "Private security person" has the meaning given in s. 440.26 (1m) (h).
(f) "Roadway" has the meaning given under s. 340.01 (54).
(fg) "Stationary" means not moving, regardless of whether the motor is running.
(fm) "Street" means a highway that is within the corporate limits of a city or village.
(fr) "Transmission facility" means any pipe, pipeline, duct, wire, cable, line, conduit, pole, tower, equipment, or other structure used to transmit or distribute electricity to or for the public or to transmit or distribute communications or data to or from the public.
(g) "Unloaded" means any of the following:
1. Having no shell or cartridge in the chamber of a firearm or in the magazine attached to a firearm.
2. In the case of a cap lock muzzle-loading firearm, having the cap removed.
3. In the case of a flint lock muzzle-loading firearm, having the flashpan cleaned of powder.
4. In the case of an electronic ignition muzzle-loading firearm, having the battery removed and disconnected from the firearm.
(h) "Vehicle" has the meaning given in s. 340.01 (74), but includes a snowmobile, as defined in s. 340.01 (58a), an all-terrain vehicle, as defined in s. 340.01 (2g), and an electric personal assistive mobility device, as defined in s. 340.01 (15pm), except that for purposes of subs. (4) (c) and (cg) and (4m) "vehicle" has the meaning given for "motor vehicle" in s. 29.001 (57).
(2) Prohibitions; motorboats and vehicles; highways and roadways.
(a) Except as provided in sub. (4), no person may place, possess, or transport a firearm, bow, or crossbow in or on a motorboat with the motor running, unless one of the following applies:
1. The firearm is unloaded or is a handgun.
2. The bow does not have an arrow nocked.
3. The crossbow is not cocked or is unloaded and enclosed in a carrying case.

The first exception is 'The firearm is unloaded or is a handgun.'

That is an exception to the statute making it illegal.

Last edited:

Savage14

So now we have a guy that evidently knows how laws are suppose to be written and yet another you still cant show any proof that open carrying in a vehicle is illegal

wrightme

So now we have a guy that evidently knows how laws are suppose to be written and yet another you still cant show any proof that open carrying in a vehicle is illegal

Not sure what you are referring to here.

Have YOU taken the time to actually review the actual statutes for your own knowledge?

By WI statute, all firearm carry of any kind in the listed vehicles is illegal. The same statute lists exceptions to that prohibition.

The exceptions provided allow open carry of a loaded pistol, and transportation of other unloaded firearms. there are also other exceptions.

Last edited:

rightwinglibertarian

The '[16]' is a wikipedia footnote link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Wisconsin#Handguns_vs_Long_Guns_in_Vehicles

footnote 16 is a link to WI 167.31.

http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/167/31

I suppose you can argue the point somehow, but not legitimately.

You MIGHT be able to check the actual reference that wikipedia cites, and use information at the wisconsin.gov website to confirm or refute the wikipedia statement he quoted but failed to cite.

I suppose i'll have to check it out this evening after church. Though trying to use wikipedia as a cite is almost as bad as citing from Aesops fabled or a mainstream propaganda 'news' station website.

I bet even if a borg went and assimilated you, you wouldnt get it. You've been given the evidence. Either accept it or go play with your fairy tales elsewhere.

wrightme

I suppose i'll have to check it out this evening after church. Though trying to use wikipedia as a cite is almost as bad as citing from Aesops fabled or a mainstream propaganda 'news' station website.

Which is why I followed the wikipedia link and cited the actual relevant wi statute from the wisconsin.gov website.

Now, specifically as to why I agree that on the face of it, open carry in a vehicle is illegal.
It is accurate to state that it is not illegal to open carry in a vehicle, BUT by the construction of the statute in question, that only applies as long as the exception is not removed. Legislation to rewrite the statute can easily remove that exception as if it were never there......

Last edited:

Savage14

This is copied from handgunlaw.us that i found un wisconsin off of this site, so you people have posted this on here and if it is not the law than you need to have it removed according to your codes of conduct.

RV/Car Carry Without A Permit/License
(2) Prohibitions; motorboats and vehicles; highways and roadways.
(a) Except as provided in sub. (4), no person may place, possess, or transport a firearm, bow, or crossbow in
or on a motorboat with the motor running, unless one of the following applies:
(b) Except as provided in sub. (4), no person may place, possess, or transport a firearm, bow, or crossbow in
or on a vehicle, unless one of the following applies:
(c) Except as provided in sub. (4), no person may load a firearm, other than a handgun, in a vehicle or
discharge a firearm or shoot a bolt or an arrow from a bow or crossbow in or from a vehicle.
(2) (a) Any individual who knowingly possesses a firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has
reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone in or on the grounds of a school is guilty of a Class I felony.
Any individual who knowingly possesses a firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable
cause to believe, is within 1,000 feet of the grounds of a school is subject to a Class B forfeiture.
(2) (b) (intro.) Paragraph (a) does not apply to the possession of a firearm by any of the following:
(2) (b) 1m. A person who possesses the firearm in accordance with 18 USC 922 (q) (2) (B) (i), (iv), (v), (vi),
or (vii).
Note: You can carry an unconcealed handgun in a vehicle in Wisconsin but if you come within 1000 foot
of a school like described above you can be charged. You can transport within 1000 foot of a school without
a permit/license to carry under Federal Code 18 USC 922 if the handgun is unloaded and secured. See State
vs Walls in AG Opinions/Ct Case Section on what is considered concealed.

its considered concealed if you cant see any part of the firearm, otherwise im allowed to have my pistol holstered to my side in my vehicle without a licence/permit

Last edited:

wrightme

This is copied from handgunlaw.us that i found un wisconsin off of this site, so you people have posted this on here and if it is not the law than you need to have it removed according to your codes of conduct.

What are you attempting to say? You are NOT being clear.

This is opencarry.org, not handgunlaw.us. NEITHER of those sites is the authoritative source for the information. The WI statutes are that source.

The people who post here are members of the opencarry.org web forum, which is owned by someone else. Where specifically are you finding the information that you think needs to be changed? Can you provide a link to the bad info?

If you are speaking of anything to do with www.opencarry.org, you would need to message the site owner about that.

Last edited:

wrightme

Savage14

What are you attempting to say? You are NOT being clear.

This is opencarry.org, not handgunlaw.us. NEITHER of those sites is the authoritative source for the information. The WI statutes are that source.

The people who post here are members of the opencarry.org web forum, which is owned by someone else. Where specifically are you finding the information that you think needs to be changed? Can you provide a link to the bad info?

If you are speaking of anything to do with www.opencarry.org, you would need to message the site owner about that.

this is the link for opencarry.org :http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=316

The stuff i just posted from handgunlaw.com came from WI Statutes web page legislation site, basically a copy of a copy from a copy of original source

wrightme

this is the link for opencarry.org :http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=316

The stuff i just posted from handgunlaw.com came from WI Statutes web page legislation site, basically a copy of a copy from a copy of original source

Copies are only as good as the person posting the copy. ALWAYS link to where you find what you are talking about.

The page you linked is the responsibility of the site owner, John Pierce. He is responsible for that content.

Had you posted that link in the first place, this discussion would have been completed in one or two replies.

Last edited:

Savage14

Copies are only as good as the person posting the copy. ALWAYS link to where you find what you are talking about.

The page you linked is the responsibility of the site owner, John Pierce. He is responsible for that content.

Had you posted that link in the first place, this discussion would have been completed in one or two replies.

My deepest apologies Wrightme. i do understand no one should trust copies from links but thats all we all do on here, seldom have i seen people posting the link itself. usually its parcel copies of copies rather it being the full copie. i came to open carry because for some reason the wisconsin carry site doesnt give much of anything unless you become a member.

Savage14

wrightme

My deepest apologies Wrightme. i do understand no one should trust copies from links but thats all we all do on here, seldom have i seen people posting the link itself. usually its parcel copies of copies rather it being the full copie. i came to open carry because for some reason the wisconsin carry site doesnt give much of anything unless you become a member.

No, it is not 'all we do on here.' Those who actually desire to share true information, provide a link. Copying from a link is a good way to get hit with copyright violations. In fact, posts of content from other websites without a link, can get a web forum in hot water. Government sources should be easily able to fully copy content from, but it is ALWAYS best to provide a link so if the information at the link changes, the new information can be found and the posts updated. Kind of like what you want the opencarry.org site owner to do.....

Rule 11 speaks of that.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules
Rule 5 speaks of 'cite to authority' for statements about laws.

Last edited:

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
Sorry i should have been more clear and thank you for pointing it out. It's my personal opinion and the sheriff that pulled us over really appreciate people informing them of a weapon(s) inside just so there not blind sided.

The blindsided reference makes no sense to me. Blindsided by what? The presence of a firearm? How does the mere presence of a firearm have any effect on the interaction? It's none of their business. It's a non-issue. Should I also warn them of what color shoes I'm wearing? That piece of information is equally useful to them.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Huh? There is no member only content from Wisconsin Carry Inc.

All you need to know can be obtained from reading the actual statutes. The DOJ FAQ has flaws.

If you have specific questions, ask them. Don't ask the police as they are legally ALLOWED to lie to you.