Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder holsters?

Shoulder holsters?

Just was wondering if anyone here uses them and what brands they prefer. I used shoulder holsters in the militar and thought they were pretty comfortable and was planning on getting a set for concealed carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage14 View Post
    Just was wondering if anyone here uses them and what brands they prefer. I used shoulder holsters in the militar and thought they were pretty comfortable and was planning on getting a set for concealed carry.
    Why do folks come to a board dedicated to the lawful open carrying of firearms and ask questions about carrying concealed? Especially when Google, which ought to be your friend, can help you locate so many boards dedicated to the subject of carrying concealed?

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

An interesting exercise with a gun holstered in a shoulder holster, or any holster but particularly other than a hip holster, is to install a laser pointer, like a bore sighting laser, and then draw and watch the muzzle sweep.

All guns are LOADED until they are not. Cover with the MUZZLE that only which would be destroyed. Keep your finger off the TRIGGER. Know your TARGET and what is beyond.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Why do folks come to a board dedicated to the lawful open carrying of firearms and ask questions about carrying concealed? Especially when Google, which ought to be your friend, can help you locate so many boards dedicated to the subject of carrying concealed?

stay safe.
    I think sometimes people are comfortable with a group on a certain forum and if they have a question that is a bit afield of the forum topic but they know there are knowledgeable people on the subject where they are, they prefer to ask that group for opinions rather than go wandering around the internet to find a new forum to just ask one question. Maybe that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    An interesting exercise with a gun holstered in a shoulder holster, or any holster but particularly other than a hip holster, is to install a laser pointer, like a bore sighting laser, and then draw and watch the muzzle sweep.

All guns are LOADED until they are not. Cover with the MUZZLE that only which would be destroyed. Keep your finger off the TRIGGER. Know your TARGET and what is beyond.
    I second this. A great training technique. Also leave it on and see who it flags while in the holster
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Quote Originally Posted by deepdiver View Post
    I think sometimes people are comfortable with a group on a certain forum ... [ ... ] Maybe that's just me.
    Read OPie's other posts, in one of which he describes himself as a PTSD invalided non-com.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/se...st&showposts=1
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Read OPie's other posts, in one of which he describes himself as a PTSD invalided non-com.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/se...st&showposts=1
    let me guess you think im a lier and have to stoop down to you and show you proof. i can open or conceal carry all i want. i only asked a simple question of the use of a shoulder holster and now all of a sudden getting attack because im a vet and what i have written on other posts?!

How about some point me to the right direction to not be a member of this forum.

On long driving trips, I use a shoulder holster. I don't conceal it. Who says it's just for concealment?. Stopped for lunch in Warrenton. No one said anything about it.

It was a Galco Miami Classic II BTW.

I have considered a shoulder holster over the years for certain situations, but the good ones are pricey and I would really like to try one I thought I want for a day before making a financial commitment.

Why can the OP not ask a simple question? If you dont have anything to add, dont comment.

Ive contemplated getting one for years for driving and when i ride my motorcycle. I carry cross draw a lot in the car as well. OP, ive heard good things about the Galcos.

While I like crossdraw for certain weapons, I do not care much for shoulder holsters. In the summer the gun is right next to sweaty arm pit area. In the winter the rig is cumbersome to remove and put on over a coat. A shoulder holster adjusted for no coat then to heavy coat is near impossible. I do on occasion use bandoleer holsters which are much more accustomed to taking off and putting back on.

If you intend on carrying open I would suggest the bandoleer instead of the shoulder holster.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Shoulder Holster carry

I find shoulder holsters are my most comfortable mode of carry. I do a lot of driving daily ,and iwb and owb holsters
    just don't cut it, they get fouled in the seat belt and are very uncomfortable on the hip. I can't speak for other state laws
    but in Washington state a CCWP is required for carry in a vehicle, open or concealed. I've found over many years that
    there is a time to open carry and a time to conceal carry, so I made sure I am always legal by having a CCWP.
    I feel I've got the best of both worlds.

..............................Jack
    Last edited by Spooler41; 09-30-2014 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooler41 View Post
    I find shoulder holsters are my most comfortable mode of carry. I do a lot of driving daily ,and iwb and owb holsters
    just don't cut it, they get fouled in the seat belt and are very uncomfortable on the hip. I can't speak for other state laws
    but in Washington state a CCWP is required for carry in a vehicle, open or concealed. I've found over many years that
    there is a time to open carry and a time to conceal carry, so I made sure I am always legal by having a CCWP.
    I feel I've got the best of both worlds.

..............................Jack
    It's a cpl. Not a ccwp. And you don't need one to open carry unloaded in the car.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Got one of these when I head out into the swamp while hunting for my P90. I prefer the pistol to be pointing down. Leather is pricey these days but...
    http://www.shoulderholster.us/

Not a easy draw so I would not recommend a vertical rig for EDC...but, this is just me.

The below link lists the various manufacturers and has photos. (reference only, not a promotion of the site)
    http://www.copsplus.com/shoulderholsters.php

Finally, got one of these when I hog hunt, or when I'm packing in on a elk hunt for several days. The variant I purchased does not interfere with backpack straps.
    http://sale-fire.com/Tanker%20Holste...FQhbfgodg2EADw

I only EDC a OWB holster.

Good luck.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

I have always preferred horizontal shoulder holsters my self to vertical ones.

But I have friend that uses a nylon tanker model to carry his delta elite in while we are back backing seems to work well for him.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    I have always preferred horizontal shoulder holsters my self to vertical ones.

But I have friend that uses a nylon tanker model to carry his delta elite in while we are back backing seems to work well for him.
    I've used horizontal as well and nothing against against them, just a big fan of flagging everyone all around me.
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Quote Originally Posted by Kopis View Post
    If you dont have anything to add, dont comment.
    Kopis you would lose a third of the comments on the board.

for driving and when i ride my motorcycle.
    I OC with a fobus on the bike. No worries, no wear.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    If you intend on carrying open I would suggest the bandoleer instead of the shoulder holster.
    I have used both and you are spot on, the bandoleer is a better fit and draw.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    I only EDC a OWB holster.
    Absolutely.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    I've used horizontal as well and nothing against against them, just a big fan of flagging everyone all around me.
    +1
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    +1
    Just NOT a big fan of flagging lol. Which I'm sure you knew. I just realized when you reposted I messed it up.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    Just NOT a big fan of flagging lol. Which I'm sure you knew. I just realized when you reposted I messed it up.
    I'm not either. One reason why I haven't bought a shoulder holster yet.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    I'm not either. One reason why I haven't bought a shoulder holster yet.
    Years ago, a lot of years ago, I tried carrying my issued S&W model 39 in a shoulder holster. It did not conceal well, was a pain in the blank to draw from concealment, and made wearing a sport jacket three sizes too big mandatory. I traded it back to the armorer for a pancake holster for off duty.

Shoulder holsters with heavy guns for hunting are more comfortable, they are good for car carry. For me their usefulness ends there. Just about every gun made carry on the waist is better for gun access and concealing than shoulder holster. Car carry? Cross draw. Comfort for hunting? Bandoleer. Concealed? IWB or a slide/pancake holster.

And not to forget that quality shoulder holsters are about double the price of quality belt holsters.

ETA it did look kewl in the movies and on tv though...
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 10-03-2014 at 07:50 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

I have not used either shoulder or bandoleer. I like the idea of bandoleer. Here you can have the best of both worlds Bandoleer and hip holster.

Double Gun Shoulder Rig

I use a shoulder rig.

I carry two S&W M&P 9s each with Arrendondo Accessories extended mag plate which add 5 rounds to my 17 round capacity. And I have 4 extra 17 round magazines, two under each gun.

I took a Tactical Tailor Modular Shoulder Harness and added a left and right handed Serpa holster each with a STRIKE platform to mount to the MOLLE on the Harness. Then I added a Condor double mag pouch horizontally under each holster. I've been carrying this setup for about 2 years now.

The plus side:

I'm a bigger guy and while I do occasionally carry concealed, depending on where I go, I open carry for the most part. This rig allows me to carry 2 guns and 4 extra magazines easily and comfortably. Yes, it's "In Your Face" open carry. And that is what I'm going for. I live in the state of Arizona by the way.

The down side:

This is an expensive setup.

The Tactical Tailor Modular Shoulder Harness is $36.00
    The Blackhawk Holsters and the STRIKE platform mounts ran in the neighborhood of $90 to $100 for everything.
    The two Condor Double mag pouches ran $13.00 retail each, $26.00 for both.

That puts the cost of this rig at around $160.00. Yes, costly, and as I said, I've had this rig for two years. I put it together expecting that I would use it for a long time and that is the way it is looking.

In conclusion: The bottom line is that you need to find something that works for you. It took me awhile to find what worked for me and what I liked. I have a hand full of OWB holster that I occasionally use.

I'll take some pictures and post for you when I can.

My advice, find what works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucko View Post
    I use a shoulder rig.

I carry two S&W M&P 9s each with Arrendondo Accessories extended mag plate which add 5 rounds to my 17 round capacity. And I have 4 extra 17 round magazines, two under each gun.
    Wow this is hilarious and magnificent. Please post pics.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    Wow this is hilarious and magnificent. Please post pics.
    +1

Also for $160 to hold up (2 x MP9) + (4 x 17rd mags) is not that expensive. Haha.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast