Thread: Thor's Hammer and the power-law distribution. One Universe at a Time, B. Koberlein

Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin

Thor's Hammer and the power-law distribution. One Universe at a Time, B. Koberlein

Meteor impacts are known to occur from time to time on Earth, such as the Chelyabinsk meteor 0f 2013, but impacts the size of Tunguska are fortunately quite rare. It’s estimated that events of that scale only occur about once every 300 years. So imagine if such an event occurred every 5 years or so. Every few years, and some part of the planet gets a crater, or an airburst. Most would be in remote areas, but some wouldn’t. Of course we know that meteors follow a power law distribution in size distribution. So for every Tunguska event, there would be thousands of Chelyabinsks. So perhaps 200 of them every year. Then there are the larger ones. Big impacts creating 10km-wide craters every century or so. And the ever larger ones every millennia.
    [ ... ]
    Brian Koberlein: I am an astrophysicist and faculty at Rochester Institute of Technology. I write about astronomy, physics and the occasional other topic that strikes my fancy.

The Pareto distribution, named after the Italian civil engineer, economist, and sociologist Vilfredo Pareto, is a power law probability distribution that is used in description of social, scientific, geophysical, actuarial, and many other types of observable phenomena.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 09-29-2014 at 07:38 AM.
    If TRUMP 2016 loses then I will shrug off my WHITE MAN'S BURDEN and leave the world to the Dindus and Done Nuffins. Read and understand Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged as a prescription for the future. TRUMP 2016