Thread: Varying across state line

Varying across state line

Hi,

I live in Mississippi and frequently go into Memphis. I know that in TN you have to have a permit to open carry or conceal carry. In MS you have to have a permit to conceal but not open (if I read that law correctly). But I can't find anything about conceal carry or open carry across the MS line into TN. I keep a .380 in my truck but with all the attacks, I'm really not comfortable not having it on me. Can anyone tell me what the law is on carrying across the MS/TN stateline is for open and conceal carry. I would prefer open. But conceal works. It's just not as much of a deterrent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportrocgirl55 View Post
    Hi,

I live in Mississippi and frequently go into Memphis. I know that in TN you have to have a permit to open carry or conceal carry. In MS you have to have a permit to conceal but not open (if I read that law correctly). But I can't find anything about conceal carry or open carry across the MS line into TN. I keep a .380 in my truck but with all the attacks, I'm really not comfortable not having it on me. Can anyone tell me what the law is on carrying across the MS/TN stateline is for open and conceal carry. I would prefer open. But conceal works. It's just not as much of a deterrent.
    TN requires a permit/license to do both, and they recognize every other state's permission slips. So if you have your CC permit from MS you're good to go for OC or CC in TN. Your preference.

Thankfully TN recently passed a new law that's similar to Texas' in which they consider your vehicle an extension of your home, so if you don't have your permit, you can keep it in your truck but you can't carry it around on your person outside of your vehicle.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm