Thread: How to help liberal journalists and morons understand gun terminology

How to help liberal journalists and morons understand gun terminology

Wait, liberal journalists and morons is an oxymoron. Anyways, the below linked story was written by a firearms patent attorney who in his words represents more firearms companies than anyone else in the world.

I think he does a very good job of describing "proper" firearms terminology to use if you are going to attempt to write an article about firearms and want to sound somewhat intelligent. Maybe more intelligent people than I can find holes in his article about terminology but it sounded good to me. I think this article could also be used to "educate" those in our circle of friends/associates who are confused/uneducated about guns.

What say you ?

NAVYBLUE

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...m_campaign=rss

Spell check.

"Clips" https://www.google.com/search?q=m855...%3B1155%3B1155

.50 cal is not "hotdog sized", 20mm is, nor are they used in those "big belt fed machine guns on aircraft", 20mm are, for many aircraft.

Remember that ammo can in the above link? Ammo can pose a explosion hazard. SAAMI did not test that scenario.

Other than the above, not too bad.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

The M2 has been mounted on aircraft for decades...
    http://browningmgs.com/AirGunnery/01_50cal.htm

Helicopters...
    http://www.americanspecialops.com/sp...achine-gun.php

I just opened a box of .50 AP and got a pack of Oscar Meyers out of the frig. The hot dog doesn't have the "necked" shape but, close enough description for me.

Really? There hasn't been a .50 call in a US fighter in 50+ years.

Also, I don't buy little franks, those jumbo franks are what I buy. I guess it is all about perspective and what you're used to.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Banned
    Guns are for people who are big boys and girls and are not afraid of such objects .... you liberal journalists should just focus of Taylor Swift and Madonna...'cause you don't know what you're doing.

As someone who spends a lot of time around modern fighter jets and helos (as in part of ship's company on an aircraft carrier and just got back from deployment), 20mm is definitely the standard for their weapons systems. If there's a .50 cal on board it's usually for a gunner, but not the main weapon system for the aircraft.

Oh, and the article, I've only gotten through part of it so far, but in the "clips vs magazines" section, he says clips are designed for rifles that don't take magazines, which isn't really true. They're used to load an internal, non-detachable magazine in the rifle. Or, in the case of moon and half-moon clips, the cylinder of a revolver. That's all true to the best of my knowledge and googlefu skills, though I'm no expert. Still, though, if mainstream media read this article and remembered/used even a quarter of this information, I'd maybe take their pieces a little more seriously, and they might just change their minds on the topic after realizing the disinformation they've been spreading.

"liberal journalists and morons" ... but I repeat myself ....

I think it is a wonderful opportunity and effort! Unfortunately, I think the reality is that they do not care. They do not care if they just make up stuff, mislabel stuff or misinform on firearm or 2A issues. The effort is similar to throwing a Thesaurus to a troop of chimps.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."