• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to help liberal journalists and morons understand gun terminology

NAVYBLUE

Wait, liberal journalists and morons is an oxymoron. Anyways, the below linked story was written by a firearms patent attorney who in his words represents more firearms companies than anyone else in the world.

I think he does a very good job of describing "proper" firearms terminology to use if you are going to attempt to write an article about firearms and want to sound somewhat intelligent. Maybe more intelligent people than I can find holes in his article about terminology but it sounded good to me. I think this article could also be used to "educate" those in our circle of friends/associates who are confused/uneducated about guns.

What say you ?

NAVYBLUE

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...tm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss

OC for ME

Really? There hasn't been a .50 call in a US fighter in 50+ years.

Also, I don't buy little franks, those jumbo franks are what I buy. I guess it is all about perspective and what you're used to.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Guns are for people who are big boys and girls and are not afraid of such objects .... you liberal journalists should just focus of Taylor Swift and Madonna...'cause you don't know what you're doing.

BlueSquid

As someone who spends a lot of time around modern fighter jets and helos (as in part of ship's company on an aircraft carrier and just got back from deployment), 20mm is definitely the standard for their weapons systems. If there's a .50 cal on board it's usually for a gunner, but not the main weapon system for the aircraft.

Oh, and the article, I've only gotten through part of it so far, but in the "clips vs magazines" section, he says clips are designed for rifles that don't take magazines, which isn't really true. They're used to load an internal, non-detachable magazine in the rifle. Or, in the case of moon and half-moon clips, the cylinder of a revolver. That's all true to the best of my knowledge and googlefu skills, though I'm no expert. Still, though, if mainstream media read this article and remembered/used even a quarter of this information, I'd maybe take their pieces a little more seriously, and they might just change their minds on the topic after realizing the disinformation they've been spreading.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
"liberal journalists and morons" ... but I repeat myself ....

I think it is a wonderful opportunity and effort! Unfortunately, I think the reality is that they do not care. They do not care if they just make up stuff, mislabel stuff or misinform on firearm or 2A issues. The effort is similar to throwing a Thesaurus to a troop of chimps.