Thread: Data divulges racial disparity in Chicago’s issuance of gun permits.

Data divulges racial disparity in Chicago’s issuance of gun permits.

I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

As the article touches, but doesn't conclude, it isn't a racial bias but rather a wealth bias in the data. Most state's concealed carry training/licensing involve cost, time and distance requirements that are bias against the poorest people, not even considering the costs of purchasing an appropriate firearm in the first place. Even here in rural MO where you can complete your required training and application for under $200, you're gonna need a car to get to the training site.

I don't think it is any secret that it is the residents of the poorest neighborhoods who are most at risk to be victims of violent crimes yet the required state mandated training/licneinsing schemes for legal carry are typically expensive to the point of almost prohibitive even for a lower middle class family.

The expense is a central point of John R. Lott, Jr.'s More Guns, Less Crime: Understanding Crime and Gun Control Laws (1998 Chicago) http://www.amazon.com/More-Guns-Less.../dp/0226493660

Ive tried explaining to a few liberal acquaintances how gun permits actually affect minorities more than wealthier white people. if you're making $50k+ with a full time job, taking a day off and $200 isnt a big deal but if youre minimum wage, just making ends meet, riding the bus etc. It's a huge expense and difficulty when they actually need the permit the most.

Banned
    This was a point that I made when I applied for my permit ... I refused to pay their highway robbery fees.

And its designed just the way it works ....
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 10-01-2014 at 02:08 AM.

Does the state set the price or does the business that hires an instructor set the price?
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Activist Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    Does the state set the price or does the business that hires an instructor set the price?
    There are both state set application fees and instructor set course fees

Quote Originally Posted by Darkshadow62988 View Post
    There are both state set application fees and instructor set course fees
    Does anyone give out "freebies" to promote gun ownership? Doubt it...

μολὼν λαβέ

So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    Does anyone give out "freebies" to promote gun ownership? Doubt it...
    Actually they do. I've seen it first hand. And as an instructor I remain flexible as possible to people who need it, but I have costs associated as do others.
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Since a Virginian is addressing an Iowan in a Illinois sub-forum, I'll say that, yes, South Carolina Representative (later Senator) Jake 'Jakie' Knotts ran free mass CWP training sessions of perhaps a hundred applicants at a time at the Mid-Carolina Rifle Club. I volunteered as safety observer.

Excellent! Not sure why it matters where I'm from though...

μολὼν λαβέ