Thread: OC at a polling place?

OC at a polling place?

Election season is coming up! I would like to OC at my polling place in support of 2A. Has anyone ever done this? To complicate matters, my polling place is a middle school. Are there any statutes or court cases that would keep this from being possible?

AFAIK, schools are out, unfortunately. I do not see any exceptions to the state laws against firearms possession at schools. (NRS 202.265)

Polling places elsewhere would be good to go, and if one were to try to give you grief over it, please get it recorded. It might be a serious crime to interfere with a voter.

If a private business opts to be a polling place, I don't see how they can enforce trespassing on a voter while that person is directly involved in that activity on their property.

Here is the law on voters' rights: NRS 293.2546

Honestly, I think one SHOULD be able to argue being armed at a school while voting. But I will guess that it might take a couple courtrooms before that right is hopefully affirmed.
    Last edited by MAC702; 09-30-2014 at 06:41 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

I always make it a point to early vote so I don't get stuck at a school, for just this reason. I have oc'd the last several times I voted, with no issues at all. Had some great conversations in line.
    ---
    Carry On

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    I always make it a point to early vote so I don't get stuck at a school, for just this reason. I have oc'd the last several times I voted, with no issues at all. Had some great conversations in line.

Merlin!!!!! You live!!!!

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    One of the Swiss cantons REQUIRES (at least, they did a few years ago) voters to come to the polls armed (except for those with registered excuses).

Quote Originally Posted by DVC View Post
    One of the Swiss cantons REQUIRES (at least, they did a few years ago) voters to come to the polls armed (except for those with registered excuses).
    This may be why my Swiss K31 is one of my favorite firearms...

TBG
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

Looks like it's early voting for me!

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Guy View Post
    This may be why my Swiss K31 is one of my favorite firearms...

TBG
    I really, really wish I was into guns 10 years ago. I would have bought all the nice surplus guns from Big 5 that were out. M1 carbines, K31s, Lee Enfield No 4. Tsk tsk tsk. I screwed up.
    Nevada Carry and Frontier Carry

Helpful guide to gun laws in the Intermountain West

Activist Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alquix View Post
    Election season is coming up! I would like to OC at my polling place in support of 2A. Has anyone ever done this? To complicate matters, my polling place is a middle school. Are there any statutes or court cases that would keep this from being possible?
    You can't carry on school grounds per NRS 202.265.

I always early vote here in Reno and I've always open carried while doing so. Early voting is done at a lot of private places like shopping malls.
    Last edited by Felid`Maximus; 10-03-2014 at 07:49 PM.

I always OC when I vote, but I vote early so I can vote in a location that's not a prohibited place.
    Nevada Campus Carry: The Movement Continues
    http://nvcampuscarry.blogspot.com

Another OC'er

The wife and I went to Albertsons Horizon and College this evening. As we were going for the front door I noticed the sign up about early voting and suggested to my wife we get'er done. As we were standing there, a couple coming out of the voting area hollered to us that if we were looking for the polling place it was down at the end of the building. After they passed us by I looked back and noticed he was OC. I didn't want to yell across the parking lot so we just went on in.

TBG
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

The last few times I went by myself to Vote. In 2012 I went with my boys and my youngest sent me this today to remind me to getter done early

RM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-2.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	12163