• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kentucky resident traveling to Ohio while oc.

kyboy4u

I am a KY resident who travels to Ohio multiple times a year. I do not have a ccdw permit. What are my restrictions regarding open carry while in your state? Am I not allowed to open carry in my vehicle once I cross state border? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

JustaShooter

You are correct, you cannot have a loaded gun in the car unless you have a concealed hand gun license (CHL) from a state Ohio recognizes. You also cannot carry in a bar or other establishment that serves liquor by the drink (Class D license) while alcohol is being consumed unless you have a CHL. Other than that, there is the Federal GFSZ, and of course posted locations. Probably wouldn't hurt to review the statutory no-carry locations, either at www.handgunlaw.us or in the Ohio Revised Code at http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.126

Some places are more OC friendly than others but in general you should have few problems as long as you follow those guidelines and obey signs. Signs have the force of law in Ohio, and do not have to have any specific wording, or be a certain size, or anything else - except the vague requirement that they be posted in a conspicuous location.

If you have questions after reviewing those resources, be sure to ask!

RT48

If you enter a grocery store, you better hope they are not doing a wine tasting in the back of the store. Any place where alcohol is being served for consumption is off-limits to non-licencees.

Werz

If you enter a grocery store, you better hope they are not doing a wine tasting in the back of the store. Any place where alcohol is being served for consumption is off-limits to non-licencees.
An excellent point. One of our finest local supermarkets recently added an integral state liquor agency, and along with that, broadly expanded it's beer and wine section to include a vast array of gourmet and micro-brewery beers. And they installed a little gourmet beer bar, complete with bar stools. Under those circumstances, what do you think the likelihood is of someone actually consuming beer in the back of the store when a non-licensee thinks it's safe to enter while openly carrying a handgun?

Brian D.

An excellent point. One of our finest local supermarkets recently added an integral state liquor agency, and along with that, broadly expanded it's beer and wine section to include a vast array of gourmet and micro-brewery beers. And they installed a little gourmet beer bar, complete with bar stools. Under those circumstances, what do you think the likelihood is of someone actually consuming beer in the back of the store when a non-licensee thinks it's safe to enter while openly carrying a handgun?

Judging by a party store I visit in this neck of the woods which also has a brew pub in the back, I'd say any hours the store/mini bar is open there's probably someone in there hoisting a glass. Common sense would tell us that if a non-licensed open carrier stayed out of the pub area he'd be fine legally. But Common Sense and The Law had a nasty breakup in their relationship many years ago, Common Sense was handed a restraining order and pretty much rode off into the sunset.

Chuck!

If the bus boy is unlicensed and OCing while he's washing dishes in the back, all it takes is one drunk bringing his beer back to the kitchen to make a criminal out of him

Brian D.

Chuck you reminded me of a dilemma I ran into years ago, when Ohio law didn't allow us CH licensees to carry into any establishment that sold alcohol for premises consumption. (You probably recall me relating this on OFCC's forums but it's worth a repeat now.) On two different occasions out in rural southern Ohio I stopped at gas stations which also had a walk up food counter inside, with some seats for dining in. They also sold beer, TO GO ONLY, according to Ohio's liquor control laws. Well, the local good old boys had never been told that by the store, apparently. There they were at lunch time eating sandwiches and drinking Budweisers. I had stopped in only for gasoline (okay maybe a mug of coffee too) and walked into this situation.

Now, according to the Ohio Revised Code of the time, the friendly-but-dumb yokels were the lawbreakers there, not me. But, any one of THEM had a much better chance of being kin with the nearest sheriff or police chief than I did.