• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Land that is "un-owned" in KY. (gun related)

self preservation

While on FaceBook today, I saw the below comment posted to the Frankfort firearm group.

"wanted to share this with my fellow gun lovers.
KNOW YOUR RIGHTS! I had an altercation this past weekend during a festival I was set up at. I wont mention the city due to legal reasons. Anyone who knows me knows I an a STRONG second amendment advocate and know that I ALWAYS carry for my protection. Veterans fought and died for my rights and I refuse to allow a bunch of tree hugging liberals take them away. During my festival (which was held in a public park) a member of the festival city committee went off on me for carrying. Told me to get my stuff and get off the premisis because there is a sign posted in the park "NO FIREARMS". I proceeded to tell her that sign means nothing because its illegally posted. You CAN NOT prohibit guns in a public area (parks, parking lots, sidewalks, ect.) KRS 237.110 sub 16 lists the areas in KY where guns are prohibited. Further on in that law also states " No Firearms signs have no force of law in KY unless posted in an area previously mentioned in sub 16." Therefore that sign is void by contitutional law and no Mayberry city rules can over ride that. I called in some higher powers I know regarding this. Turns out the lady who approached me is with the group MOMS DEMAND ACTION. Now MDA is the group who is hasseling Kroger and many other stores who allow carrying trying to bully them into banning guns. Since her group is supposed to stay peaceful and cant make their group political...she broke 2 laws. She was advocating for her group while representing a city committee for a festival. She also threatened me and became aggressive. She was arrested for her troubles. Keep in mind this ONLY works in public areas. You can not be arrested for going into a store with a sign posted. BUT if they ask you to leave, you must do so or can be arrested for trespassing. Score 1 for the second amendment."

I mentioned this being a 65.870 violation and the OP said 65.870 wouldn't apply because it is a "public" park. After several back and forth questions and answers between us, he states that 1) Taxpayers pay for the park and it is city controlled, but not owned or claimed by the city. 2) No one owns the land that is the park. I reason that 1) Not a lick of that logic makes a lick of damn sense. But I have been surprised before. Can land in KY. be "un-owned" as he claims? If so, who pays taxes on the land or how is the land tax exempt? Why does the city maintain control over the land but they don't "own" it? I'm betting the guy is misinformed, but I wanted to check to make sure that I'm not the misinformed one.

Last edited:

self preservation

He is an idiot. What city property is not paid for by the taxpayers? Is city hall not owned by anybody? How about all the city police cars? If nobody owns them, I guess it would be OK to get in one and drive it home. I don't believe any of this. Why would he not name the city? What "legal issues"? Who arrested her and what was the charge? How about a link to that forum? 65.870 only applies to public property.

The post is now gone. Either he realized that he sounded like an idiot or the group removed it. I asked the same questions as you. I told him that if the land was "un-owned" then I would be there next week to build a house on it. I have no idea what "legal issues" prevented him from divulging the information.

He claimed that the MDA lady was arrested for terroristic threatening and advocacy violence. (No idea what in the hell that is)

His story may have all been made up for attention. Who knows? I realize that this topic, in the grand scheme of things is no big deal, but if he did in fact have a victory it wasn't because he dazzled them with brilliance, but rather baffled them with BS. I just hated that other people were reading his comments and eating them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk