Thread: CA governor signs 'gun violence restraining order' law

CA governor signs 'gun violence restraining order' law

Shocking, isn't it...

People who fear a close relative may commit gun violence will be able to petition a judge to temporarily remove the person's firearms in California, under a bill signed into law on Tuesday by Democratic Governor Jerry Brown...

...Under the so-called gun violence restraining order in the court system, immediate family members and law enforcement agencies could ask a judge to order guns temporarily removed from certain individuals.

The restraining order would last 21 days, and could be extended up to a year, after a notice and a hearing. "The new 'Gun Violence Restraining Order' law will give families and law enforcement a needed tool to reduce the risk of mass shootings and gun violence both in the home and on our streets," said Nick and Amanda Wilcox, legislative co-chairs of the California Chapters of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.

...you're @#$%ting me...
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

What about armed neighbors or roommates or community members, what's so special abut family members?
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    I expect many cops to be subjected to this ... hahaha

Belle Gardens, Ca. mayor shot dead by wife, still free not charged. Mayors exempt?

The Crespos were reportedly childhood sweethearts who married in their teen years, in 1986. Sheriff’s Deputy Crystal Hernandez said police think the two were fighting when their son, attempted to break them apart but got into a fight with Mr. Crespo. Mrs. Crespo then got a gun and started shooting, Ms. Hernandez said, AP reported.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-shot-dead-by/

https://news.google.com/news/rtc?ncl...AFij7_pe5_S-nM 386 articles ATM
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

That's rather disturbing...
    Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Who needs such a thing as due process.......
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

So, when a family member initiates this process, has your guns taken, and some thugs shoot you during a home invasion a few days later..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyBoy276 View Post
    So, when a family member initiates this process, has your guns taken, and some thugs shoot you during a home invasion a few days later..
    Well, I would not hand over my guns to anyone just because of a filing w/o a hearing. Who's gonna take them?

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Well, I would not hand over my guns to anyone just because of a filing w/o a hearing. Who's gonna take them?
    I would imagine that since it's signed into law, the Sheriff would come take them, and you would have to give them up.

I still can't even believe this is real.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    I would imagine that since it's signed into law, the Sheriff would come take them, and you would have to give them up.

In CT, the cops can use a similar law .... but it can be initiated by a gov't official...

Here's a fantastic way to avoid this: Never live in California.

When I sold my Las Vegas home, back in January of 2003, my buyers were semi-retired California refugees who'd had it up to their ears with California's greed and general insanity. Over the years I've met many similar refugees, intelligent people who were tired of being fiscally shafted while watching their freedoms erode.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Who needs such a thing as due process.......
    Owning a gun is a privilege. You live and breath (and pay taxes) at the pleasure of the state.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I expect many cops to be subjected to this ... hahaha
    ↑ This.

What about family feuds? You get into an argument with a family member and they want apply this law knowing how passionate we are about our guns, contact authorities? Even if there is no indication that you might use a gun on them, they just got your gun taken by authorities.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Here's a fantastic way to avoid this: Never live in California.

When I sold my Las Vegas home, back in January of 2003, my buyers were semi-retired California refugees who'd had it up to their ears with California's greed and general insanity. Over the years I've met many similar refugees, intelligent people who were tired of being fiscally shafted while watching their freedoms erode.
    I left California 22 years ago because I had reached the point that I could not tolerate the restrictions/taxes/crime any more. I can not imagine living there under the present laws and taxes, why any sane productive person stays is beyond me.
    Throw me to the wolves and I will come back leading the pack.

If ya can ignore the no water thing, the climate is not too bad.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    If ya can ignore the no water thing, the climate is not too bad.
    If you can ignore the malaria and the ebola things, the climate of most of West Africa is not too bad. On top of that, the lowest level of Social Security lets you live like a lord, so the economy must not be too bad either. Take away the malaria and the ebola and I still would not want to live there.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    If you can ignore the malaria and the ebola things, ....
    True, but we ain't talkin bout no steenking West Afrika...but bout Kalifonia.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post

Yeah, probably with a SWAT team inside of a Stryker fighting vehicle..

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hayes View Post
    I left California 22 years ago because I had reached the point that I could not tolerate the restrictions/taxes/crime any more. I can not imagine living there under the present laws and taxes, why any sane productive person stays is beyond me.
    Agreed. For me it was the gross lack of law-abiding principles throughout the California government.

I even went back in 2009 only to discover they were FAR WORSE than when I left in 1991.

Just gross. Totally freakin' gross.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.