• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man shoots down neighbors drone

Status
Not open for further replies.

stealthyeliminator

There is nothing to indicate it was not, plus it was shot with a shotgun which has a very limited range. The drone owners story does not pan out IMO. If he wants to film private property he needs to get permission. I doubt he had permission to film the construction site, or he would have been on the property with the drone and would have not needed to involve his neighbor.

I have no sympathy for perverts or their apologists.

No, you do not need to get permission to film or photograph private property. I'm sorry if you don't like it, but that's the way it is.

WalkingWolf

No, you do not need to get permission to film or photograph private property. I'm sorry if you don't like it, but that's the way it is.

This is NC not NJ, it will be too bad for the drone owner on my property, just like the drone owners in PA that lost four. I'm sorry if you don't like it.

wrightme

This is NC not NJ, it will be too bad for the drone owner on my property, just like the drone owners in PA that lost four. I'm sorry if you don't like it.

Are you sure they lost 4 drones? The article I saw that mentioned in stated that one was shot down, but there were three other attempts in the past.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...Shot-Down-at-Pigeon-Shoot-Cops-179983451.html

Fair-use excerpt:

State Police are investigating the incident. SHARK claims this is the fourth time the drone has been shot at while trying to spy on what they claim are inhumane pigeon shoots.

Read more: http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...igeon-Shoot-Cops-179983451.html#ixzz3FDmXXpPe
Follow us: @nbcphiladelphia on Twitter | nbcphiladelphia on Facebook

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Are you sure they lost 4 drones? The article I saw that mentioned in stated that one was shot down, but there were three other attempts in the past.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...Shot-Down-at-Pigeon-Shoot-Cops-179983451.html

Fair-use excerpt:

I read they lost four, but does not matter NO CHARGES FILED!

It is legal to discharge a firearm in NC, PA, and FL. If a drone is in the way that is the problem of the idiot that owns the drone.

The person in the NJ case was not charged with vandalism or damage to property. He was charged with a misdemeanor gun crime. Which he would have been charged just for discharging a firearm. But I expect that liberals would be bothered by such a thing, they do not believe in rights.

Last edited:

rscottie

You have a right to privacy in your backyard and should not have to worry about people peeking in your windows or watching your wife laying out in the sun.

What I have in my backyard is none of my neighbor's business. What I do in my yard is done with the expectation of not having to worry about peeping tom drones watching me.

Primus

I don't think shooting a drone in the air = murdering your neighbor who is on the ground, maybe on a ladder.
My point is does one illegal act (peeping) justify another (murder or abdw or any other assault or in this case destruction of property).

Edit: fix example

Last edited:

The Truth

Well my point is it's a flying robot. IF it was really peeping on his property, I say he's got a pretty good reason to shoot it down. Also, maybe it was close so as to be in shotgun range. Depends on whether he was shooting 00 buck or turkey loads as to how far away he could have been from the drone. Either way it's not like you have to be that good of a shot to hit something with a shotgun, so there's really no way to tell if he was truly justified based on proximity.

stealthyeliminator

You have a right to privacy in your backyard and should not have to worry about people peeking in your windows or watching your wife laying out in the sun.

What I have in my backyard is none of my neighbor's business. What I do in my yard is done with the expectation of not having to worry about peeping tom drones watching me.

No, I'd probably say you don't have a right to privacy any place where you haven't gone to reasonable lengths to provide yourself privacy. For instance, if you don't even have so much as a privacy fence, can you really get mad at your neighbor for seeing your back yard even tho all it takes is looking out the window of their own home? What if you built a fence but your neighbor has a 2 story house? What if drones become prevelant? See where this is going? We're approaching an era when you don't have a legitimate expectation of privacy just by building a fence. Get over it and find another way to provide yourself privacy. You don't get to freeze the world around you so's you don't have to work to provide yourself with the things you want. Your privacy is your own responsibility. You aren't entitled to claim of me that I must avoid using technologies that may incidentally capture an image of your property. Sure, it'd be nice and convenient if you didn't have to worry about it, just like it'd be nice and convenient if I didn't have to carry a handgun and be prepared to defend my life against aggression but that's not the world we live in. Instead of trying to control the entire world around me so's I can walk down the street unprepared and lackidasically I carry a gun. And if I'm concerned about privacy in my back yard I'll find a way to provide it to myself without trying to use force against my neighbors to prevent them from enjoying a damn toy that I'm paranoid might snap a pic in my direction. [/rant]

rscottie

No, I'd probably say you don't have a right to privacy any place where you haven't gone to reasonable lengths to provide yourself privacy. For instance, if you don't even have so much as a privacy fence, can you really get mad at your neighbor for seeing your back yard even tho all it takes is looking out the window of their own home? What if you built a fence but your neighbor has a 2 story house? What if drones become prevelant? See where this is going? We're approaching an era when you don't have a legitimate expectation of privacy just by building a fence. Get over it and find another way to provide yourself privacy. You don't get to freeze the world around you so's you don't have to work to provide yourself with the things you want. Your privacy is your own responsibility. You aren't entitled to claim of me that I must avoid using technologies that may incidentally capture an image of your property. Sure, it'd be nice and convenient if you didn't have to worry about it, just like it'd be nice and convenient if I didn't have to carry a handgun and be prepared to defend my life against aggression but that's not the world we live in. Instead of trying to control the entire world around me so's I can walk down the street unprepared and lackidasically I carry a gun. And if I'm concerned about privacy in my back yard I'll find a way to provide it to myself without trying to use force against my neighbors to prevent them from enjoying a damn toy that I'm paranoid might snap a pic in my direction. [/rant]

You kind of took what I said and built your own little scenario to make what I said seem unreasonable.

How about this, my backyard has a large privacy fence around my pool and my neighbors are not close enough to see over it. Yet, every time my teenaged daughter goes out to lay in the sun, the darn little drone appears and hovers providing a nice feed to my neighbors computer.

Now I have went and provided privacy from everything but a spy satellite and here comes my perv neighbor with his drone. He even dips down to attempt to look in the windows.

Can I shoot his drone now? Or are you still going to say I have no right to privacy in my own yard?

WalkingWolf

If a person has not gone to reasonable lengths to provide privacy the peeping tom would not need a drone. Drones are intended to get footage that is not normally available.

There are legitimate purposes for getting such footage and their are illegal purposes. There is no legal purpose to spy on neighbors, either peeking in windows on foot or with a drone. In NJ where liberal idiots live a pervert can get away with it, but not here. A drone over my very private property will get shot down.

twoskinsonemanns

This is one that could quickly slip away from reasonableness. It seems unreasonable to expect individuals to provide privacy protection against means beyond what could be accomplished by natural human senses (normal vision on the ground). I admit that is kinda arbitrary but it seems reasonable to me. Your saying it is people's responsibility to overcome technology to have their privacy... I disagree. I'm sure powerful infrared cameras (or who knows what tech is out or coming soon) could be used to film some private moments you wouldn't want to share right from public property.

rscottie

I think some entrepreneur could come up with an IR and LED Strobe Light that could simultaneously fire high intensity IR Light and LED Light in to the camera lense and render it "blind".

Sort of like a shield against perv neighbors and their drone.

Status
Not open for further replies.