• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tannerite and Chesterfield

VaGunTrader

Well, I guess we made too much noise back in April. Six months later Chesterfield is still having hearings on the matter.

I plan on being there, hoping to get the landowner to come too.

Here is the VCDL alert from today

2. Chesterfield hearing on Tannerite use

Member Carl Kersey sent me this:

Important meeting coming up in the Motoaca District! This all stems from this past spring at a BBQ and Tannerite Cookout, mostly consisting of members of the Virginia Gun Traders Forum and friends thereof. Seems like Chesterfield County residents didn't appreciate the exercising of the 2nd Amendment that day. We need to show in numbers to preserve our rights, and not lose them like our neighboring county, Hanover.

Who
Dorothy Jaeckle, Bermuda District Supervisor
Steve Elswick, Motoaca District Supervisor

Topic
Recreational Use of Explosive Targets Update
And
Meet Richmond Metropolitan Transportation
Authority )RMTA) Representatives and Discuss
Regional Transportation Issues

When
Monday, October 6, 6 - 8 p.m.
Motoaca High School
17700 Longhouse Lane
Chesterfield, VA 23838

Steve Elswick is my Board of Supervisor member and I plan on being at this meeting. Note that the meeting is on school grounds, so guns will have to be left in your vehicle stored according to state law.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
May you breathe ? :uhoh::cool:

David -

What's the situation like where you are? Can you carry in a school building? (If so, please cite permitting law.)

One of the things I hope to address at the meeting is the decision to select the school as the site for the meeting. There are community centers that are more appropriate for holding such meetings. (You know, the whole concept of "community center" ought to be considered.) Of course, the state preemption law would be in effect at a community center - the horror!:shocker:

We know that the location was selected with the law against carrying in a school as part of the equation. Much like selecting the Old County Courthouse and Museum in the past - circuit court cases are heard there once a year to keep it eligible to be claimed as the oldest active courthouse.

stay safe.

davidmcbeth

Banned
David -

What's the situation like where you are? Can you carry in a school building? (If so, please cite permitting law.)

One of the things I hope to address at the meeting is the decision to select the school as the site for the meeting. There are community centers that are more appropriate for holding such meetings. (You know, the whole concept of "community center" ought to be considered.) Of course, the state preemption law would be in effect at a community center - the horror!:shocker:

We know that the location was selected with the law against carrying in a school as part of the equation. Much like selecting the Old County Courthouse and Museum in the past - circuit court cases are heard there once a year to keep it eligible to be claimed as the oldest active courthouse.

stay safe.

9th amendment. good enough for you?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
David -

stay safe.

9th amendment. good enough for you?

Your response is inadequate and I'm sure you knew it when you posted it.

I'm beginning to wonder if there is a cognitive deficit instead of craniorectal inversion that is responsible for your posts. It surely cannot be a difference of opinion regarding either politics or what constitutes humor. The last possibility is that you are a rectoconflagrationalist? Could that be so?

When, oh when, are you going to come to Virginia and demonstrate how things are supposed to be done? (Heck, I'll split the gate receipts with you 50-50 plus cover all expenses.)

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'll be there tonight because it's a private property issue. I have no idea why VCDL considers it a 2A matter but it'll be interesting to hear the comments beause there are two distinct sides and both have some merit.

One side is that property owners should be able to do what they want as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. This was a daytime event and no worse than that damn racetrack in Henrico or for that matter, the jets that flew overhead at the picnic yesterday.

On the other hand...I think Rick and company did make a hell of a lot of noise. :lol:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Sadly, it looks like I will have to miss this. Yesterday did more to me than I thought it would. I'm paying the price.

Would someone please try to ask these questions (in no particular order):

* - Why are the existing noise ordinances not sufficient to deal with the perceived issue?

* - Why was the high school selected as the site for the meeting when there are community centers that are more convenient and cost less to open up for the evening?

If you can only get one question in, let it be the one about the noise ordinances.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Sorry you're not feeling well Skid and you didn't miss anything. Aside from Va Gun Trader there weren't any VCDL people.

It was pure and simple a private property rights issue but they sure didn't need me. The property owner is a well respected citizen and Brian was his usual steady person. They had done everything possible with the PD and County and as a result, the county was taking a hands off approach.

There were about 5 nuts there claiming everything from stray bullets to alien invasions. A lot of the complaints were due to the mysterious booms heard in Chesterfield and Amelia and had nothing to do with Tannerite.

A big round of applause for the Va Gun Trader group!

Repeater

I have to confess I got some video of one of the mainstream reporters. She had a really tight dress and wiggled all over the auditorium. :eek:

I was thinking Tannerite would make a welcome addition to TNT Drama. BOOM.

640.jpg

VaGunTrader

I have to confess I got some video of one of the mainstream reporters. She had a really tight dress and wiggled all over the auditorium. :eek:

yep..... that was a tight dress , that was ch12 Kelly Avellino. Got any pictures to post to show all what they missed???

I think the land owner went above and beyond back in April to make sure we are considerate of the neighbors from now on. Keep in mind that this is a 200+ acre farm surrounded by 1600 additional acres. No houses anywhere close. We will limit the tannerite to a small 2lb load from now on, but no promises on the gunfire and machine guns. We can have just as much fun with 2lbs as we can 10lbs. The video footage they showed on 12 news did show us at our worse. There were guys there blowing up stuff (at a safe distance) and one dummy brought an old oil drum to shoot at that had a little oil left over in it. The oil spilled out and caught fire, 12 news showed the land owner with the bobcat putting the fire out. But it was a safe event.

A couple of the people there claim that they have cracked foundations on their homes and I guess they are blaming the tannerite.

I have to agree with a few of them that large loads of tannerite being set off too close to houses is uncalled for and needs to stop. Hopefully the interview they showed of me asking people to use common sense and being considerate of neighbors will help.

My concern is that a few were asking how to get the laws for tannerite changed. They were educated on how. I'd hate to see it outlawed.