Thread: Need some supporting comments: Gun rights group upset with Stafford sheriff

Need some supporting comments: Gun rights group upset with Stafford sheriff

VCDL's treatment at Stafford's National Night Out gets some newspaper coverage. Supporting comments needed before the gun crazies get going.

Excerpt below.

TFred

Gun rights group upset with Stafford sheriff

A gun rights group wants a public apology from the Stafford County sheriff because it believes gun owners’ rights were subverted at a crime prevention event in August. But the Sheriff’s Office stands by the event’s restriction on the open carry of firearms.

The Newington-based Virginia Citizens Defense League, which describes itself as a Second Amendment preservation group, lost approval for a booth at a recent National Night Out event in Stafford because the group wanted to openly carry their guns.

Target had honored Sheriff Charles Jett’s request to prohibit the open carry of firearms at National Night Out, a community awareness event that drew thousands to the parking lot of the Stafford Marketplace Target on Aug. 5.

“The Sheriff’s Office was committed to helping to ensure that National Night Out was family fun event for the citizens of Stafford County. To that end, guidelines were established to prevent any one group from possibly creating a distraction for the people attending. That included political groups, activists or the request of one group to open carry their hand guns,” Jett said Friday.

So, sheriff Jett thinks he has the authority to stifle free speech???? Political free speech at that. Where does he think he got that from?

Satirical wiseass comment posted!

Love it or hate it, one thing you can say about the Free Lance-Star, its readers love to comment on gun-related material! 150 comments so far. It'll probably slack off soon, once the link drops off the front page of the website.

TFred

Banned
    Gun owners should have held a protest right then .. he doesn't want a distraction? Make one.

Is a lawsuit under any kind of consideration? No only did the good sheriff infringe on the second amendment rights of open carriers, he infringed on the first amendment free speech rights of various "political groups" including VCDL. And he plainly admits he did so, if the quote in the article is accurate.

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by markand View Post
    Is a lawsuit under any kind of consideration? No only did the good sheriff infringe on the second amendment rights of open carriers, he infringed on the first amendment free speech rights of various "political groups" including VCDL. And he plainly admits he did so, if the quote in the article is accurate.
    Will the claim of the "good" sheriff that his "request" was made as a private citizen and not as "Sheriff" relieve him of responsibility for this violation of Constitution Rights that he has INCITED?
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    Will the claim of the "good" sheriff that his "request" was made as a private citizen and not as "Sheriff" relieve him of responsibility for this violation of Constitution Rights that he has INCITED?
    He looses that when he is elected to office.

Centurion
    Agreed, but still don't change the likelihood of such claim when pressed in court!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

My comment got 6 upvotes
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.