Thread: Signs in KY

Signs in KY

Do I understand KY statue 237.110 correctly that a permit holder simply carrying a holstered handgun past signage at a public business is not a crime? Is it true that it is only a matter of trespass if they ask you to leave?

Yes, I know that it's better to not go there at all. But I would like to know the answer to the question. What if you accidentally walked past signage while OCing, for instance?
    Open means open...

Quote Originally Posted by independence View Post
    Do I understand KY statue 237.110 correctly that a permit holder simply carrying a holstered handgun past signage at a public business is not a crime? Is it true that it is only a matter of trespass if they ask you to leave?

Yes, I know that it's better to not go there at all. But I would like to know the answer to the question. What if you accidentally walked past signage while OCing, for instance?
    Signs have no weight of law in Kentucky. If you there is a sign and you walk in you have to be asked to leave. I wouldn't make a habit of it because many places opt to call the Police instead of approaching the scary man/woman with a gun. Once you are trespassed you cannot return with or without a gun. If you have a permit, you could conceal and no one would know to ask you to leave, then just tuck your shirt back in when you leave.
    Last edited by willy1094; 10-04-2014 at 07:15 AM.

Thank you gutshot!

Regular Member self preservation's Avatar

Signs in KY

Just to add my 2 worthless cents, the term "public place" is often misunderstood. McDonalds is a public place, but is privately owned. City hall is also a public place but is publicly owned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by self preservation; 10-12-2014 at 01:02 PM.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.