• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Armed patron kills 2 of 4 armed robbers holding up bar

stealthyeliminator

WalkingWolf

Is it illegal to possess a firearm in a bar in Texas?

As far as intoxicated there is nothing in the article to indicate that. He probably wanted to avoid the hassle, and left. Or maybe he was a felon, which is why felons should be allowed their rights.

stealthyeliminator

Is it illegal to possess a firearm in a bar in Texas?

As far as intoxicated there is nothing in the article to indicate that. He probably wanted to avoid the hassle, and left. Or maybe he was a felon, which is why felons should be allowed their rights.

It's illegal for someone carrying under the authority of the CHL law to carry in a bar or any place that has a so called 51% sign indicating the portion of their sales that are alcohol sales. I phrase it that way because technically it's not illegal to carry a rifle into a bar, though it's 'illegal' for the bar staff to allow you to. Texas law can be very arbitrary, even to the point of absurdity.

HPmatt

Great reporting "...the gun-toting customer .... authorities are trying to find out who he is and why he left."

Now why did he leave???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twoskinsonemanns

"authorities are trying to find out who he is and why he left"

yeah I bet they are. I hope he can avoid capture.

davidmcbeth

Banned
"authorities are trying to find out who he is and why he left"

yeah I bet they are. I hope he can avoid capture.

Spurgeon said the gun-toting customer also left the scene and authorities are trying to find out who he is and why he left.

He's just shy, that's all. Who would want to talk to the cops? Not going to make you any free-er.

The Truth

I wonder how much of an effort the cops will make to find him? Very interesting story!

oc4ever

good luck

I wonder how much of an effort the cops will make to find him? Very interesting story!

If the police search for him because he was a victim of a armed robbery defending himself, I don't think a "dragnet" will be issued, nor will he will be found, unless he wants to. He could also just be another criminal that did not want be a victim that day, and he will definitely not be found. It could be a off duty cop/FBI/State Trooper/Jail officer that does not want to get in trouble for drinking and violating policy (but they are normally not that good of shots). Either way, he probably will need to find a new bar to drink at from now on. Too bad he did not kill the other two that got away.

Kopis

Wouldn't there be ballistics from the pistol if he had purchased it in his name? My new guns always have a fired brass in them. How about shell casing with finger prints? I suppose he could've been carrying a revolver.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Wouldn't there be ballistics from the pistol if he had purchased it in his name? My new guns always have a fired brass in them. How about shell casing with finger prints? I suppose he could've been carrying a revolver.

Fired case in the packaging of the newly purchased firearm is for those locations that require the submission of this shell case by law. Fortunately, MOST or Nearly all the States don't require this. Yep, the gun was fired once as proof of function ect. BUT no one in law enforcement has examined the case UNLESS it is submitted to the state.

WalkingWolf

It is not that simple, CSI tv shows are mostly make believe. Brass casing fired get extremely hot, fingerprints consist of oils in the fingers. Unless those fingerprints had corroded on the casing over time, there would be no prints. Just try catching a casing in the air sometime, somewhere on youtube there is video of a lady that a hot casing lands in her cleavage, if you can find it watch her reaction.

But remember the shooter broke the law by taking the gun into a bar, and we all know that is more bad than an armed robbery.:uhoh::eek::rolleyes:

Last edited:

ak56

Campaign Veteran
Maryland is the only state that does anything with the shell casing. New York used to, but discontinued it. After a number of years, and the expense of documenting all those casings, they only found two matches to casings from crime scenes, and those matches did not help in solving any crime.

WalkingWolf

Maryland is the only state that does anything with the shell casing. New York used to, but discontinued it. After a number of years, and the expense of documenting all those casings, they only found two matches to casings from crime scenes, and those matches did not help in solving any crime.

The shell casing only is good at identifying the breach and firing pin. Unlike what many people believe a guns rifling changes over the time it is used. A new barrel laps, so after breaking in the barrel it is unlikely to provide a match based on records from shell casings.