• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The month and a half no carry period started today

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Bow season started today so between now and the middle of November I can only carry in the burbs.
:mad:

The Truth

...such a stupid law. I expected more from Virginia! On the bright side, gun season starts in a month and a half ;)

The Truth

I'll probably eventually score a compound bow, but for now I can look forward to rifle season so I can start hunting with my .460 Rowland pistol ;)

Can't wait to be sitting in a hardwood bottom when first light starts to come through the trees, with only a pistol. Or watching a road bed or a field with my 30.06!

I've gotta find a place to hunt here in VA...After hunting in SC my whole life I still have not been out in VA yet.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I'll probably eventually score a compound bow, but for now I can look forward to rifle season so I can start hunting with my .460 Rowland pistol ;)

Can't wait to be sitting in a hardwood bottom when first light starts to come through the trees, with only a pistol. Or watching a road bed or a field with my 30.06!

I've gotta find a place to hunt here in VA...After hunting in SC my whole life I still have not been out in VA yet.

I went bear hunting once in a remote region .. never even saw any ... luckily, the bar was nice and warm ... they guys could have used a shave though

BlueSquid

Oh man, I've really been wanting one of those. Planning my first and second 1911 purchases so I can have one .45acp and one 460 conversion. Which platform did you convert?

The Truth

Oh man, I've really been wanting one of those. Planning my first and second 1911 purchases so I can have one .45acp and one 460 conversion. Which platform did you convert?

Just got my Clark conversion in the mail today :D It's so beautiful! Haven't bought the pistol yet, but I'm about 99% decided on a Sig Emperor Scorpion. I have a thread going in the "Choosing a Handgun" sub-section.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Had one and sold it. To be honest, you're better going with a 45 Super barrel. It doesn't give up much to the Rowland and the Rowland will shorten the life of your gun considerably.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Had one and sold it. To be honest, you're better going with a 45 Super barrel. It doesn't give up much to the Rowland and the Rowland will shorten the life of your gun considerably.
The voice of experience speaks.

Doubt that are more than a very few that can equal Master Nap's reservoir of knowledge on really big guns and their loading.

va_tazdad

The voice of experience speaks.

Doubt that are more than a very few that can equal Master Nap's reservoir of knowledge on really big guns and their loading.

Even if he has been seen sporting one of them Gurleyman plastic guns, ;>) I agree that Master Nap is the "go to guy" for info on big guns.

The Truth

I'll be bothering you about the .460 Rowland today, just a heads up!

you gonna bring your BBQ barrel to the pig pickin'? i'd like to see it...

If you mean me, then sure I will bring the conversion kit to the piggy pickin'! It's beautifully fabricated. Wish I could have the whole thing to show off but for now I've got to be patient :(

mkatzpp

Bow season started today so between now and the middle of November I can only carry in the burbs.

Can someone explain why this is or what this means?

[emoji379][emoji367][emoji363][emoji355]️[emoji380][emoji373][emoji375][emoji385][emoji383][emoji487][emoji488][emoji489][emoji618]️

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

[emoji379][emoji367][emoji363][emoji355]️[emoji380][emoji373][emoji375][emoji385][emoji383][emoji487][emoji488][emoji489][emoji618]️

Look up the hunting laws on carrying a handgun when bowhunting. Or more specifically, the laws against doing that.

stay safe.

scouser

Look up the hunting laws on carrying a handgun when bowhunting. Or more specifically, the laws against doing that.

stay safe.

and more specifically when you haven't requested permission from the government to hide your firearm from general observation

The Truth

It's a complete baloney OC pistol and firearms prohibition while in the woods hunting during white tailed deer bow season.

18.2-308 says if you have a CHP you can carry while hunting. That's the way I interpret it anyway.

"6. Any person actually engaged in lawful hunting, as authorized by the Board of Game and Inland Fisheries, under inclement weather conditions necessitating temporary protection of his firearm from those conditions, provided that possession of a handgun while engaged in lawful hunting shall not be construed as hunting with a handgun if the person hunting is carrying a valid concealed handgun permit; "

Looks like the VADGIF agrees.

"It is unlawful to have a firearm in possession except that a muzzleloading firearm, as defined in the muzzleloader deer seasons section, may also be in possession when and where there is an overlap with a muzzleloading deer season where deer hunting with a rifle or muzzleloading firearm is permitted. **(See exception for valid concealed handgun permit holders)." - http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/deer.asp

**"Valid Concealed Handgun Permit Holders May:

Nothing in any Department regulation shall prohibit the possession and transport of a concealed handgun when the individual possesses a valid concealed weapon permit as defined in the Code of Virginia. The granting of a concealed handgun permit shall not thereby authorize the possession of any handgun or other weapon on property or in places where such possession is otherwise prohibited by law or is prohibited by the owner of private property. Furthermore, the possession of a concealed handgun permit does not authorize the use of the concealed handgun for hunting." - http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/general.asp#legal-use

mkatzpp

It's a complete baloney OC pistol and firearms prohibition while in the woods hunting during white tailed deer bow season.

18.2-308 says if you have a CHP you can carry while hunting. That's the way I interpret it anyway.

"6. Any person actually engaged in lawful hunting, as authorized by the Board of Game and Inland Fisheries, under inclement weather conditions necessitating temporary protection of his firearm from those conditions, provided that possession of a handgun while engaged in lawful hunting shall not be construed as hunting with a handgun if the person hunting is carrying a valid concealed handgun permit; "

Looks like the VADGIF agrees.

"It is unlawful to have a firearm in possession except that a muzzleloading firearm, as defined in the muzzleloader deer seasons section, may also be in possession when and where there is an overlap with a muzzleloading deer season where deer hunting with a rifle or muzzleloading firearm is permitted. **(See exception for valid concealed handgun permit holders)." - http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/deer.asp

**"Valid Concealed Handgun Permit Holders May:

Nothing in any Department regulation shall prohibit the possession and transport of a concealed handgun when the individual possesses a valid concealed weapon permit as defined in the Code of Virginia. The granting of a concealed handgun permit shall not thereby authorize the possession of any handgun or other weapon on property or in places where such possession is otherwise prohibited by law or is prohibited by the owner of private property. Furthermore, the possession of a concealed handgun permit does not authorize the use of the concealed handgun for hunting." - http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/general.asp#legal-use

Thank you for making it easy on me by explaining it since I'm not a hunter.