Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: The month and a half no carry period started today

  1. #1
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    The month and a half no carry period started today

    Bow season started today so between now and the middle of November I can only carry in the burbs.

  2. #2
    Regular Member The Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Henrico
    Posts
    2,139
    ...such a stupid law. I expected more from Virginia! On the bright side, gun season starts in a month and a half
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

    μολὼν λαβέ

    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Can you carry a bow?

    If so, I would recommend this one...

  4. #4
    Regular Member The Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Henrico
    Posts
    2,139
    I'll probably eventually score a compound bow, but for now I can look forward to rifle season so I can start hunting with my .460 Rowland pistol

    Can't wait to be sitting in a hardwood bottom when first light starts to come through the trees, with only a pistol. Or watching a road bed or a field with my 30.06!

    I've gotta find a place to hunt here in VA...After hunting in SC my whole life I still have not been out in VA yet.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

    μολὼν λαβέ

    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    I'll probably eventually score a compound bow, but for now I can look forward to rifle season so I can start hunting with my .460 Rowland pistol

    Can't wait to be sitting in a hardwood bottom when first light starts to come through the trees, with only a pistol. Or watching a road bed or a field with my 30.06!

    I've gotta find a place to hunt here in VA...After hunting in SC my whole life I still have not been out in VA yet.
    I went bear hunting once in a remote region .. never even saw any ... luckily, the bar was nice and warm ... they guys could have used a shave though

  6. #6
    Regular Member BlueSquid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    I'll probably eventually score a compound bow, but for now I can look forward to rifle season so I can start hunting with my .460 Rowland pistol

    Can't wait to be sitting in a hardwood bottom when first light starts to come through the trees, with only a pistol. Or watching a road bed or a field with my 30.06!

    I've gotta find a place to hunt here in VA...After hunting in SC my whole life I still have not been out in VA yet.
    Oh man, I've really been wanting one of those. Planning my first and second 1911 purchases so I can have one .45acp and one 460 conversion. Which platform did you convert?

  7. #7
    Regular Member The Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Henrico
    Posts
    2,139
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSquid View Post
    Oh man, I've really been wanting one of those. Planning my first and second 1911 purchases so I can have one .45acp and one 460 conversion. Which platform did you convert?
    Just got my Clark conversion in the mail today It's so beautiful! Haven't bought the pistol yet, but I'm about 99% decided on a Sig Emperor Scorpion. I have a thread going in the "Choosing a Handgun" sub-section.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

    μολὼν λαβέ

    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

  8. #8
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSquid View Post
    Oh man, I've really been wanting one of those. Planning my first and second 1911 purchases so I can have one .45acp and one 460 conversion. Which platform did you convert?
    Had one and sold it. To be honest, you're better going with a 45 Super barrel. It doesn't give up much to the Rowland and the Rowland will shorten the life of your gun considerably.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, VA
    Posts
    242
    you gonna bring your BBQ barrel to the pig pickin'? i'd like to see it...

  10. #10
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,605
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Had one and sold it. To be honest, you're better going with a 45 Super barrel. It doesn't give up much to the Rowland and the Rowland will shorten the life of your gun considerably.
    The voice of experience speaks.

    Doubt that are more than a very few that can equal Master Nap's reservoir of knowledge on really big guns and their loading.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    The voice of experience speaks.

    Doubt that are more than a very few that can equal Master Nap's reservoir of knowledge on really big guns and their loading.
    Even if he has been seen sporting one of them Gurleyman plastic guns, ;>) I agree that Master Nap is the "go to guy" for info on big guns.

  12. #12
    Regular Member The Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Henrico
    Posts
    2,139
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Had one and sold it. To be honest, you're better going with a 45 Super barrel. It doesn't give up much to the Rowland and the Rowland will shorten the life of your gun considerably.
    I'll be bothering you about the .460 Rowland today, just a heads up!

    Quote Originally Posted by hafnhaf View Post
    you gonna bring your BBQ barrel to the pig pickin'? i'd like to see it...
    If you mean me, then sure I will bring the conversion kit to the piggy pickin'! It's beautifully fabricated. Wish I could have the whole thing to show off but for now I've got to be patient
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

    μολὼν λαβέ

    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Culpeper VA
    Posts
    49

    The month and a half no carry period started today

    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Bow season started today so between now and the middle of November I can only carry in the burbs.
    Can someone explain why this is or what this means?


    [emoji379][emoji367][emoji363][emoji355]️[emoji380][emoji373][emoji375][emoji385][emoji383][emoji487][emoji488][emoji489][emoji618]️
    Last edited by mkatzpp; 10-05-2014 at 06:53 PM.

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by mkatzpp View Post
    Can someone explain why this is or what this means?


    [emoji379][emoji367][emoji363][emoji355]️[emoji380][emoji373][emoji375][emoji385][emoji383][emoji487][emoji488][emoji489][emoji618]️
    Look up the hunting laws on carrying a handgun when bowhunting. Or more specifically, the laws against doing that.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  15. #15
    Regular Member scouser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1,232
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mkatzpp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Bow season started today so between now and the middle of November I can only carry in the burbs.
    Can someone explain why this is or what this means?
    Look up the hunting laws on carrying a handgun when bowhunting. Or more specifically, the laws against doing that.

    stay safe.
    and more specifically when you haven't requested permission from the government to hide your firearm from general observation

  16. #16
    Regular Member The Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Henrico
    Posts
    2,139
    Quote Originally Posted by mkatzpp View Post
    Can someone explain why this is or what this means?


    [emoji379][emoji367][emoji363][emoji355]️[emoji380][emoji373][emoji375][emoji385][emoji383][emoji487][emoji488][emoji489][emoji618]️
    It's a complete baloney OC pistol and firearms prohibition while in the woods hunting during white tailed deer bow season.

    18.2-308 says if you have a CHP you can carry while hunting. That's the way I interpret it anyway.

    "6. Any person actually engaged in lawful hunting, as authorized by the Board of Game and Inland Fisheries, under inclement weather conditions necessitating temporary protection of his firearm from those conditions, provided that possession of a handgun while engaged in lawful hunting shall not be construed as hunting with a handgun if the person hunting is carrying a valid concealed handgun permit; "

    Looks like the VADGIF agrees.

    "It is unlawful to have a firearm in possession except that a muzzleloading firearm, as defined in the muzzleloader deer seasons section, may also be in possession when and where there is an overlap with a muzzleloading deer season where deer hunting with a rifle or muzzleloading firearm is permitted. **(See exception for valid concealed handgun permit holders)." - http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting...tions/deer.asp

    **"Valid Concealed Handgun Permit Holders May:

    Nothing in any Department regulation shall prohibit the possession and transport of a concealed handgun when the individual possesses a valid concealed weapon permit as defined in the Code of Virginia. The granting of a concealed handgun permit shall not thereby authorize the possession of any handgun or other weapon on property or in places where such possession is otherwise prohibited by law or is prohibited by the owner of private property. Furthermore, the possession of a concealed handgun permit does not authorize the use of the concealed handgun for hunting." - http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting....asp#legal-use
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

    μολὼν λαβέ

    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Culpeper VA
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    It's a complete baloney OC pistol and firearms prohibition while in the woods hunting during white tailed deer bow season.

    18.2-308 says if you have a CHP you can carry while hunting. That's the way I interpret it anyway.

    "6. Any person actually engaged in lawful hunting, as authorized by the Board of Game and Inland Fisheries, under inclement weather conditions necessitating temporary protection of his firearm from those conditions, provided that possession of a handgun while engaged in lawful hunting shall not be construed as hunting with a handgun if the person hunting is carrying a valid concealed handgun permit; "

    Looks like the VADGIF agrees.

    "It is unlawful to have a firearm in possession except that a muzzleloading firearm, as defined in the muzzleloader deer seasons section, may also be in possession when and where there is an overlap with a muzzleloading deer season where deer hunting with a rifle or muzzleloading firearm is permitted. **(See exception for valid concealed handgun permit holders)." - http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting...tions/deer.asp

    **"Valid Concealed Handgun Permit Holders May:

    Nothing in any Department regulation shall prohibit the possession and transport of a concealed handgun when the individual possesses a valid concealed weapon permit as defined in the Code of Virginia. The granting of a concealed handgun permit shall not thereby authorize the possession of any handgun or other weapon on property or in places where such possession is otherwise prohibited by law or is prohibited by the owner of private property. Furthermore, the possession of a concealed handgun permit does not authorize the use of the concealed handgun for hunting." - http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting....asp#legal-use
    Thank you for making it easy on me by explaining it since I'm not a hunter.


    [emoji379][emoji367][emoji363][emoji355]️[emoji380][emoji373][emoji375][emoji385][emoji383][emoji487][emoji488][emoji489][emoji618]️

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •