• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kentucky

warvet68/69

There is no "Open Carry law" in Ky. Open carry is a constitutional right guaranteed in Article 1 of the Ky. constitution. Open carry has been legal since Ky. became a state in 1792 and Ky. courts have repeatedly recognized it as such. In 1891, the Ky constitution was amended and gave the General Assembly authority to regulate "concealed weapons", which they promptly outlawed. Concealed weapons were illegal in Ky. for over 100 years after that. There were no licences or permits. The only legal way to carry a gun during that 100 year span was in the open, which was commonly done. If you bought a gun, you couldn't even put it in a box or bag to take it home. That would have been a crime. Other states had different laws. Indiana, for instance, has had concealed carry for 70 years. Their licences were no good in KY. until 1996. In 1996, just a scant 18 years ago, concealed carry was made legal in Ky., if you obtained the proper license. Open carry has been unaffected by all of these changes. There are only two statutes that prohibit open carry in Ky. KRS 527.070 prohibits all guns on school property, with a few exceptions and KRS 244.125 that prohibits loaded guns in bars. There is a Ky. Supreme Court order that prohibits guns in any Court of Justice facility and an Administrative Regulation that prohibits guns in detention facilities. You can open carry in many places where CC in prohibited. Example of that are a police station, a sheriffs office, a meeting of the legislative body of a local government, a local government building that has "No Concealed Weapons Allowed" signs. Carry on.
Thanks gutshot,you've been a great help to me, and i really appreciate it!

hotrod

Cincinnati Bell Telephone

I went to the Cincinnati Bell store to return my modem, did not need it since I dropped their service, and as I get to the door there is a sign that says it is ILLEGAL to have guns on their property. It quotes KRS 237.110 (17). In very small writing it has "Unless authorized by law....". Since I am authorized to open carry, I walked in gave them my modem and of course the power cord. No one died, everything went well, but it was funny seeing such a stupid sign quoting concealed carry. I was good to go, I was open carrying!

Last edited by a moderator:

Brian D.

I went to the Cincinnati Bell store to return my modem, did not need it since I dropped their service, and as I get to the door there is a sign that says it is ILLEGAL to have guns on their property. It quotes KRS 237.110 (17). In very small writing it has "Unless authorized by law....". Since I am authorized to open carry, I walked in gave them my modem and of course the power cord. No one died, everything went well, but it was funny seeing such a stupid sign quoting concealed carry. I was good to go, I was open carrying!

At least they were half-smart enough to make mention of Kentucky laws. By contrast 5/3 Bank branches in Ky. use the same signs as in Ohio--they reference the Ohio Revised Code as the basis for the firearms prohibition.