Thread: RVing with a gun

RVing with a gun

We have considered RVing to see more of the beautiful country but have concerns with carrying a gun, holster & ammo. Any element suggests a gun present and with some states not so friendly I see a potential for some issues.

Being raised in SoCal and both having family in the area we have lots of reasons to return to that area to visit. But I would hate to get stopped for some reason and end up with our vehicle and RV being searched. Trying to learn all the laws of the various states is not an easy task.

What do others do or suggest?

The Safe Passage provisions of the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1968 18 USC § 926A
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Thank you, nightmare for your quick reply.

I did find this. http://www.gunlaw.com/gun-law-articl...-firearms.html And it includes the actual text of the passage.

My interpretation is in the unfriendly states the best location to carry would be in the RV for the gun and ammo, unloaded. If in the vehicle it would require a separate lockable compartment such as a lock box bolted to the floor. Other more friendly states the normal reciprocity laws could be applied. Right?

From nearby South Carolina

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:
    [ ... ]
    (9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is:

(a) secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance; or

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    From nearby South Carolina

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:
    [ ... ]
    (9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is:

(a) secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance; or
    You seem to be researching and citing SC Law quite extensively lately. Do you spend much time there?
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    You seem to be researching and citing SC Law quite extensively lately. Do you spend much time there?
    I lived there from 1971 through 2005, in the Charleston area. I was active with GRGRSC.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I lived there from 1971 through 2005, in the Charleston area. I was active with GRGRSC.
    I love Charleston! I'll be in Chucktown for a wedding on Halloween. I grew up in Rock Hill.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    I love Charleston! I'll be in Chucktown for a wedding on Halloween. I grew up in Rock Hill.
    My daughter graduated from WU U and then from MUSC.

I arrived in '71 when my ship SSN-660 homeported there. I was the only civilian on the pier when she departed, commanded by a pick-up wardroom of shipyard engineering officers, the last submarine warship to leave. There is still a submersible warship there, the submersible CSS Hunley, which I highly recommend seeing.

Years ago I would have recommended evening tattoo at The Citadel but -- who knows now? Dixie used to be their fight song and the Confederate battle flag, their ensign.

If you're downtown, I lived my last two years there in the Dockside Condominiums, 17E, at the end of Calhoun Street (the tallest building in Chas), with a magnificent view from the Yorktown on the left, across the harbor, to MUSC on the right My favorite gun shop/range was Arlen Pendergrast's ATP in Goose Creek.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 10-05-2014 at 03:00 PM.

From My experience almost all campgrounds do not allow firearms. Most campers are not built strong enough to truly secure a firearm. Check out
    http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm for more info. When I started on the rv forum it was basically why do you need a gun. That has changed, more people are caring regardless of campground rules or travel laws. A lot of campers practice don't ask don't tell. Even if you do ask, If I don't know you I may not tell you. Follow all the laws. If you get caught in a campground you will have to move.

No guns in private campgrounds has been my experience. State campgrounds? No biggie in MO. Federal lands, I don't go to them.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    If an RV is anything like a boat... then if it has sleeping quarters, a head, and a galley, it qualifies as a second home. I would assume one can have a firearm in their second home. Could be wrong with this when it comes to RV's.
    Last edited by SouthernBoy; 10-06-2014 at 08:00 AM.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Southern Boy that was my thought too. It is my castle. I would also assume a cop would need a warrant to search my car or my motor-home. So perhaps only in fascist states would I be really concerned. Of course what is the saying about assume - would definitely want to look up the legal specifics of a defined camper/motorhome, esp in light of it being my home on wheels.
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

RSMo 563.011. Defense of Justification - As used in this chapter the following terms shall mean:

(2) "Dwelling", any building, inhabitable structure, or conveyance of any kind, whether the building, inhabitable structure, or conveyance is temporary or permanent, mobile or immobile, which has a roof over it, including a tent, and is designed to be occupied by people lodging therein at night;

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5630000011.HTM
    Some boats have sleeping accommodations.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

While you would have to research every state through which you intend to travel to be sure, my memory is that except in a few NE states such as NJ, NY, CT (maybe CA) and in DC, at most you would have to case your unloaded firearm and lock the case and put your ammo in a separate locked container. I recall that NJ and NY only recognize the federal peaceable journey exception if you do not stop for anything more than fuel and food. Spend the night and you are violating the possession laws unless the gun is licensed in that state. CA and others where you could stay withouut running afoul of any laws with a sidearm in the RVV may still have a prohibition on even possessing any mag which holds more than 10 rounds.

My memory isn't what it used to be though....
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."