• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: RCW 9.41.220 and M-16 Bolt Carriers

509rifas

I've seen on numerous websites that M-16 bolt carriers do not ship to Washington. Presumably, this is because of RCWs 9.41.220 and 9.41.190:
9.41.220 Unlawful firearms and parts contraband.
All machine guns, short-barreled shotguns, or short-barreled rifles, or any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or in converting a weapon into a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, illegally held or illegally possessed are hereby declared to be contraband, and it shall be the duty of all peace officers, and/or any officer or member of the armed forces of the United States or the state of Washington, to seize said machine gun... wherever and whenever found.

RCW 9.41.190: Unlawful firearms — Exceptions.
1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, it is unlawful for any person to manufacture, own, buy... or any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in a machine gun... or in converting a weapon into a machine gun... or short-barreled rifle..."

While this would obviously apply to DIASs and LLs as they are necessary and soley intended for FA, does this apply to the bolt carrier, disconnector, hammer, trigger and selector? The answer seems like an obvious "no" since none of those make it FA, but many companies won't ship them to WA state. I can find no case law indicative that they are illegal, and the only case I can find that talks about the guts is a case where the guy had a DIAS.

On a similar note, wouldn't a 7.5" upper be an SBR part under that logic?

If it's of any import, the reason I ask is I've been seeing milsurp M-16 parts kits with everything but the auto sear, and they are just as cheap as the AR15 kits. Of course I'd put in an AR15 selector; I could foresee having a FA selector on a rifle ending up on a search warrant affidavit...

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I've seen on numerous websites that M-16 bolt carriers do not ship to Washington. Presumably, this is because of RCWs 9.41.220 and 9.41.190:

While this would obviously apply to DIASs and LLs as they are necessary and soley intended for FA, does this apply to the bolt carrier, disconnector, hammer, trigger and selector? The answer seems like an obvious "no" since none of those make it FA, but many companies won't ship them to WA state. I can find no case law indicative that they are illegal, and the only case I can find that talks about the guts is a case where the guy had a DIAS.

On a similar note, wouldn't a 7.5" upper be an SBR part under that logic?

If it's of any import, the reason I ask is I've been seeing milsurp M-16 parts kits with everything but the auto sear, and they are just as cheap as the AR15 kits. Of course I'd put in an AR15 selector; I could foresee having a FA selector on a rifle ending up on a search warrant affidavit...

I get them all the time. The use of the heavy BCG is common. I always use the M16 over the AR15 BCG. The SBR uppers can and are used by pistols, therefore not exclusive to FA. Only parts EXCLUSIVE to FA are not "legal" yet.

What company is not shipping to you?

Last edited: