• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO in the performance of his official duties?

njkennelly

So for those of you that are a bit more NRS/Federal Law Savvy...

Is there a stipulation that requires a LEO to be in the performance of their official duties to legally carry their firearms in Gun Free Zones?

In this example I'll use a school.

So I was dropping my boys off at school this morning and there was a ~plain clothes LEO (khaki cargos, combat boots, polo) with his badge on his belt and Glock on his hip, hangin' out dropping his kid(s) off as well. I'm pretty sure dropping your kids off at school is not included in the job description of a Law Enforcement Officer.

I know that whether or not they will get away with it or not is a question even a box of rocks knows the answer to. I'm just curious if the stipulation exists.

Thanks

jackrockblc

Does NV have a "level" system for officers? In CO, there are Level 1 LEOs and Level 2 LEOs.

As it was explained to me, a Level 1 peace officer is effectively always on duty - even if they're on shift, and they witness a crime, they're obligated and empowered to intervene. A Level 2 officer does not have the authority while off shift.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Does NV have a "level" system for officers? In CO, there are Level 1 LEOs and Level 2 LEOs.

As it was explained to me, a Level 1 peace officer is effectively always on duty - even if they're on shift, and they witness a crime, they're obligated and empowered to intervene. A Level 2 officer does not have the authority while off shift.

even you and I can affect arrests .. its just that we have no immunity. Who explained these two levels? Curious.

Cops get paid when they are on duty....that's the measure IMO

FallonJeeper

"NRS 202.265  Possession of dangerous weapon on property or in vehicle of school or child care facility; penalty; exceptions.

1.  Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person shall not carry or possess while on the property of the Nevada System of Higher Education, a private or public school or child care facility, or while in a vehicle of a private or public school or child care facility:

(a) An explosive or incendiary device;

(b) A dirk, dagger or switchblade knife;

(c) A nunchaku or trefoil;

(d) A blackjack or billy club or metal knuckles;

(e) A pistol, revolver or other firearm; or

(f) Any device used to mark any part of a person with paint or any other substance.

2.  Any person who violates subsection 1 is guilty of a gross misdemeanor.

3.  This section does not prohibit the possession of a weapon listed in subsection 1 on the property of:

(a) A private or public school or child care facility by a:

(1) Peace officer;

(2) School security guard; or

(3) Person having written permission from the president of a branch or facility of the Nevada System of Higher Education or the principal of the school"

Does not specify in the performance of duties.

Last edited:

jackrockblc

even you and I can affect arrests .. its just that we have no immunity. Who explained these two levels? Curious.

Cops get paid when they are on duty....that's the measure IMO

It was a police officer, but the more I look into it, I think that information was outdated. I can find lots of references in the statutes, but not current definition. And it looks like the statute that DID define it has been changed since the definition.

Well, he really was only explaining the concept to us as a clarification to a law that still had the reference in it. But I can't find the exact definition, so I'm working on a pure (admittedly hazy) memory.