• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fight for the right to carry while hunting...NO EXCEPTION!

davidmcbeth

Banned
At least he is consistent and keeps poking his same eye. Guess that makes him a nominal expert, though he would seem to lack depth perception. How could that be?

Finally, a recognized expert .... as I said, chk the state laws..."most" did not imply all or the state being queried. Grape gave a good summation it appears...now its up to someone interested to look and see if the procedure was followed.

Why did not I? Good question.

Because the premise of the thread is flawed IMO .. should be looking for OC to be not illegal anywhere/anytime..not just to address the silly hunting season issue.

You're welcome.

The Truth

Finally, a recognized expert .... as I said, chk the state laws..."most" did not imply all or the state being queried. Grape gave a good summation it appears...now its up to someone interested to look and see if the procedure was followed.

Why did not I? Good question.

Because the premise of the thread is flawed IMO .. should be looking for OC to be not illegal anywhere/anytime..not just to address the silly hunting season issue.

You're welcome.

Outside of normal no carry spots, bow hunting season and muzzle loader season ARE the only time we cannot legally OC. It is silly, right? Nice try on the "flawed thread title" idea though...

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Damn...

I still haven't decided whether a CHP is for me or not. I suppose the Winter months may force me to, but as many times as I've talked about it, something in me will not allow myself to get one.

That's a decision everyone has to make themselves Truth. For me....no way. It's pure and simple gun owner registration.

This post from my hunting site reinforces my opinion.

So after our hunt this morning we decided to hang a few posted signs. The game warden drove by us and about stopped in the road looking, figured he seen my Ruger on my side. He went on up the road and we left about 15 mins later. We passed him sitting on the side of the road, he turned around and followed us. I had the turkey on my hitch hauler in plain site and he was right on my bumper for about a mile, I thought he was going to pull me over, or hit me in the rear one. Then after about 2 miles he backed off, and turned around. I'm figuring he seen my handgun, then followed me and run my plates, came back I had a CHP so he turned around. Whatever it was he acted strange!!

Marco

The Truth said:
Damn...

I still haven't decided whether a CHP is for me or not. I suppose the Winter months may force me to, but as many times as I've talked about it, something in me will not allow myself to get one.

The link provided gives info on permit and none permit carry.
Been in VA since 2005, still cant talk myself into a permit.
Though I have/had them in different states I see no need to get another.
All but one has expired and it's not valid on VA.

ResidentCelt

*I've heard* that some people have a CHP because when they need to go onto a K12 property, there is a nuance in the law that lets them leave their handgun secured in a container even if they get out of the vehicle and not be guilty of a crime. Something to do with a weird exemption from an exemption from a law or some such heretofore untested legal mess.

Some people have lives that involve activity where a CHP makes sense. I can CC at work. I can't OC at work. Makes sense for me to have one for that purpose.

Other than a few specific reasons, I would avoid it.

The Truth

What if I'm attacked by a 6x6 double drop tine buck during bow season? A CHP might save my life!

*CC's my .460 Rowland*

"IT WAS COMING RIGHT FOR ME!"

New state record typical buck with a pistol during bow season, legally. HA!

va_tazdad

Having been brought back from "the dark side" by getting to know Master Nap, Skid, Grape and Sidestreet, I am now a firm believer in OC.

That said, I have a CC for work. Although I now generically OC, I do have assignments that require CC.

As they say, such is life, and to each their own, just like politics.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
For the new folks I'll state my position on CHP's again.

There is nothing inherently wrong with having one even though we shouldn't need one.

A CHP is simply permission to hide your gun on your person, nothing more.
What is wrong is trying to get special privileges simply because you have a permit.

Restaurant carry is something I regret not fighting. I rationalized supporting it because it brought parity to carry. OC'ers could carry, CHiPpers should be able to also.

The problem with that attitude is our gun lobby doesn't see things that way as demonstrated by their support for Garret's Long Gun in Vehicles bill.....but only for people with CHP's.

I get tired of being fair and impartial.

The Truth

For the new folks I'll state my position on CHP's again.

There is nothing inherently wrong with having one even though we shouldn't need one.

A CHP is simply permission to hide your gun on your person, nothing more.
What is wrong is trying to get special privileges simply because you have a permit.

Restaurant carry is something I regret not fighting. I rationalized supporting it because it brought parity to carry. OC'ers could carry, CHiPpers should be able to also.

The problem with that attitude is our gun lobby doesn't see things that way as demonstrated by their support for Garret's Long Gun in Vehicles bill.....but only for people with CHP's.

I get tired of being fair and impartial.

What's the deal with long guns in vehicles?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
What's the deal with long guns in vehicles?

In support of this absurd P4P bill, VCDL wrote:

[h=4]1. ACTION ITEM: Senator Stuart leads anti-gun charge against pro-gun bill
icon_sad.gif
[/h]With friends like these…
I was shocked when Senator Richard Stuart (King George, Prince William, Spotsylvania, Stafford, and Westmoreland) actually led the charge to kill a pro-gun bill in the Senate Courts of Justice!
There are enough anti-freedom votes on that committee without Senator Stuart helping them out.
He wasn’t the only bad vote, but he took the lead in killing the bill, and thus deserves extra scrutiny.
The bill was Senator Tom Garrett’s SB 368, which would have made Virginia gun laws more uniform by making it legal for someone with a CHP to have a loaded long gun in his vehicle anywhere in the Commonwealth. Currently some localities allow loaded long guns and some don’t. Yet, Senator Stuart led the charge to kill a bill seeking uniformity!
To justify his bad vote, Senator Stuart said to the committee, “I struggled to teach my children the responsible handling of firearms and that [Garrett's bill] flies in the face of everything I try to teach them, so…I move to PBI [kill the bill]…”
To which a visibly upset Senator Garrett said to Stuart, “The citizens of the Commonwealth are NOT your children.”
Ouch! Touche, Senator Garrett!

SB 368 Rifle or shotgun, loaded; regulation of transportation.
Thomas A. Garrett | all patrons ... notes
| add to my profiles
another bill? Log in LIS Home - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Bills & Resolutions Members Committees Meetings Calendars Communications House Minutes Senate Minutes Statistics Lobbyist-in-a-Box

Summary as introduced:
Regulation of transportation of a loaded rifle or shotgun. Provides that lawful concealed carry permit holders shall not be subject to the provisions of certain local ordinances that make it unlawful for any person to transport, possess, or carry a loaded shotgun or loaded rifle in any vehicle on any public street, road, or highway within such locality.Full text:
01/07/14 Senate: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/08/14 14101901D pdf

01/07/14 Senate: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/08/14 14101901D
01/07/14 Senate: Referred to Committee for Courts of Justice
01/22/14 Senate: Passed by indefinitely in Courts of Justice (12-Y 3-N)

va_tazdad

In support of this absurd P4P bill, VCDL wrote:

[h=4]1. ACTION ITEM: Senator Stuart leads anti-gun charge against pro-gun bill
icon_sad.gif
[/h]With friends like these…
I was shocked when Senator Richard Stuart (King George, Prince William, Spotsylvania, Stafford, and Westmoreland) actually led the charge to kill a pro-gun bill in the Senate Courts of Justice!
There are enough anti-freedom votes on that committee without Senator Stuart helping them out.
He wasn’t the only bad vote, but he took the lead in killing the bill, and thus deserves extra scrutiny.
The bill was Senator Tom Garrett’s SB 368, which would have made Virginia gun laws more uniform by making it legal for someone with a CHP to have a loaded long gun in his vehicle anywhere in the Commonwealth. Currently some localities allow loaded long guns and some don’t. Yet, Senator Stuart led the charge to kill a bill seeking uniformity!
To justify his bad vote, Senator Stuart said to the committee, “I struggled to teach my children the responsible handling of firearms and that [Garrett's bill] flies in the face of everything I try to teach them, so…I move to PBI [kill the bill]…”
To which a visibly upset Senator Garrett said to Stuart, “The citizens of the Commonwealth are NOT your children.”
Ouch! Touche, Senator Garrett!

SB 368 Rifle or shotgun, loaded; regulation of transportation.
Thomas A. Garrett | all patrons ... notes
| add to my profiles
another bill? Log in LIS Home - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Bills & Resolutions Members Committees Meetings Calendars Communications House Minutes Senate Minutes Statistics Lobbyist-in-a-Box

Summary as introduced:
Regulation of transportation of a loaded rifle or shotgun. Provides that lawful concealed carry permit holders shall not be subject to the provisions of certain local ordinances that make it unlawful for any person to transport, possess, or carry a loaded shotgun or loaded rifle in any vehicle on any public street, road, or highway within such locality.Full text:
01/07/14 Senate: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/08/14 14101901D pdf

01/07/14 Senate: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/08/14 14101901D
01/07/14 Senate: Referred to Committee for Courts of Justice
01/22/14 Senate: Passed by indefinitely in Courts of Justice (12-Y 3-N)

What do you call an unloaded long gun?

A CLUB.

ChristCrusader

Lord willing, I think I'll go to the 9am Board meeting on Thurs 10/16 for a 3 min comment on allowing OC of handguns on Wildlife Management Areas and allowing handguns at extended year round ranges.
4000 W Broad St
Richmond, VA 23230
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/meetings/

Meanwhile, they're checking into the rule books for me and calling people in consultation to determine if carrying is allowed in the building ;)

The Truth

Lord willing, I think I'll go to the 9am Board meeting on Thurs 10/16 for a 3 min comment on allowing OC of handguns on Wildlife Management Areas and allowing handguns at extended year round ranges.
4000 W Broad St
Richmond, VA 23230

Meanwhile, they're checking into the rule books for me and calling people in consultation to determine if carrying is allowed in the building ;)

Let me know about that, for sure. I would love to put on the Sunday best and show up for support. I feel it's my duty to be there if possible.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
4000 W Broad St
Richmond, VA 23230

I have OCd in that building many times over the years - never had a problem.

Going to have to check my schedule closely to see if I can maybe attend.

ChristCrusader

VGIF called me back this morning and confirmed that they do not currently have a policy regarding carrying firearms within the building :)
- and thanks for your confirmation as well, Grapeshot.

The Truth

VGIF called me back this morning and confirmed that they do not currently have a policy regarding carrying firearms within the building :)
- and thanks for your confirmation as well, Grapeshot.

That's great! We will be able to open carry!

Phone is charging CC...