• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fight for the right to carry while hunting...NO EXCEPTION!

The Truth

Good follow up outside after the presentation too.

Peter Nap, I hope you're doing better! Heal up.

The Truth, thanks for taking on this effort! I liked your speech.

Truth, excellent job.

Peter, hope you are doing better.

Thank YOU GUYS for helping me to harness this passion in me. There's a lot of work to do it seems, but I feel even more motivated now than ever before.

You old geysers better stay healthy! The citizens of the Commonwealth need you!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thank YOU GUYS for helping me to harness this passion in me. There's a lot of work to do it seems, but I feel even more motivated now than ever before.

You old geysers better stay healthy! The citizens of the Commonwealth need you!
Mason, you and those like you, represent the future.

We ol' geezers do spout off some don't we :lol:

Tomorrow morning breakfast if you can make it at 9:30 -
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?127497-Greater-Richmond-OC-breakfast-Sat-10-18

The Truth

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?127497-Greater-Richmond-OC-breakfast-Sat-10-18

Who's Mason? :lol:

My Parents are actually in town, maybe I'll drag my Dad out to the breakfast with me! 9:30am to me is like 4am to a normal person...I'll try to wake up in time. Consider me a tentative me +1. Not making any promises.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Who's Mason? :lol:

My Parents are actually in town, maybe I'll drag my Dad out to the breakfast with me! 9:30am to me is like 4am to a normal person...I'll try to wake up in time. Consider me a tentative me +1. Not making any promises.

P. Mason asks, "Which one is the .460 Rowland?"

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Amen!

Truth....thee is always work to be done and always will be. The hardest part of it is to balance what will work in the GA against what should be happening, and to work along side of other groups even though you don't see eye to eye.
No compromise is a great battle cry but gets you nowhere in the real world.

Repeater

DGIF will move to Henrico -- implications for carry?

The new location will be in an existing building that they will lease at Villa Park:

Va. department to relocate headquarters to Henrico
The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries has decided not to construct a new headquarters building in Hanover County.

Instead, the state agency will lease 52,296 square feet of space in a building in the Villa Park office complex off Parham Road in northern Henrico County.

The department expects to move from the 4000 block of West Broad Street in Richmond’s West End to its new headquarters location by spring. The Board of Game and Inland Fisheries voted Thursday to approve the lease for the Villa Park space.

Moving into existing office space rather than constructing a building became a cost-savings measure and a timing issue, the agency said.

Sounds good. Any opinion? At least it saves money:
“The cost of building a new building in Hanover escalated well beyond what the department had originally anticipated,” said former Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling, who was appointed earlier this year to serve on the Board of Game and Inland Fisheries.

“We had to look for a more cost-effective alternative,” he said. “The opportunity to pick up this building in Henrico County opened up. It is a perfect fit for the department.”

And the biggest benefit, he said, is that moving into the Villa Park building will cost about half of what it would have to construct a new one. The state agency said moving to the Henrico building will cost less than $9 million.

“Being a Hanoverian, I was personally disappointed that we could not move forward in Hanover, but it was a financial decision,” Bolling said.

The Truth

Well, I've had some time to reflect, and I feel like this issue is even more easily winnable than I initially thought. I have yet to write any board members, but I am beginning that thought process.

That being said, there is one phrase from Executive Director of DGIF Bob Duncan that is echoing through my soul: his response to my speech. I clearly remember it and will likely never forget when he said, "Well if you are carrying a pistol in the woods during bow season we have to assume that you are hunting with it."

If Richmond is indeed a part of the 4th Circuit, which I believe it is given the appeals court is actually in Richmond, then there is Federal Case Law backing up the claim that Open Carry is NOT Reasonable and Articulable Suspicion that a crime is being committed, which would make the Executive Director's statements entirely false and of no legal merit whatsoever.

I think I have found the topic of my next argument. After I write each individual board member it will be time to begin contacting all of the applicable House Committee Delegates, hopefully with some words of support from some of the DGIF board members.

I would think I'd be able to win over Charles Cunningham fairly easily.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Well, I've had some time to reflect, and I feel like this issue is even more easily winnable than I initially thought. I have yet to write any board members, but I am beginning that thought process.

That being said, there is one phrase from Executive Director of DGIF Bob Duncan that is echoing through my soul: his response to my speech. I clearly remember it and will likely never forget when he said, "Well if you are carrying a pistol in the woods during bow season we have to assume that you are hunting with it."

If Richmond is indeed a part of the 4th Circuit, which I believe it is given the appeals court is actually in Richmond, then there is Federal Case Law backing up the claim that Open Carry is NOT Reasonable and Articulable Suspicion that a crime is being committed, which would make the Executive Director's statements entirely false and of no legal merit whatsoever.

I think I have found the topic of my next argument. After I write each individual board member it will be time to begin contacting all of the applicable House Committee Delegates, hopefully with some words of support from some of the DGIF board members.

I would think I'd be able to win over Charles Cunningham fairly easily.
And that knife on you hip is prima facia evidence that you intend to stab Bambi to death whether or not it is deer season :banghead:

When I was doing home renovations, many of my tools could be considered burglary tools. Some of them traveled with me 24/7 behind my truck seat.

It should never be about the tool, but how it is observed to be used. No misuse or harm should equal no crime.

wrearick

And that knife on you hip is prima facia evidence that you intend to stab Bambi to death whether or not it is deer season :banghead:

When I was doing home renovations, many of my tools could be considered burglary tools. Some of them traveled with me 24/7 behind my truck seat.

It should never be about the tool, but how it is observed to be used. No misuse or harm should equal no crime.

+1

The Truth

Well, gun season starts tomorrow, so everyone gets their rights back! Anyone heading to the woods in the morning? I have to work :( but I'm off Saturday.

Who wants to put me on some deer Saturday?!? I've got the itch...bad.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Well, gun season starts tomorrow, so everyone gets their rights back! Anyone heading to the woods in the morning? I have to work :( but I'm off Saturday.

Recheck that. Firearms season begins on Saturday November 15, not Friday the 14th. I have to work until 0700 on Saturday :cry: May get out in the afternoon. But now we can hunt on Sunday :banana:.

Last edited:

Marco

Unless tomorrow in your area is Saturday 11/15 don't use a centerfire firearm to hunt a game animal with it.
As far as a place to hunt: http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/publiclands.asp#stateforests I believe you are close to a few places that have good population of Deer.

Last edited:

The Truth

Man, my days are way off. Work! UGH!

Thanks for the game land link. I'm still trying to find some private land to hunt...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Man, my days are way off. Work! UGH!

Thanks for the game land link. I'm still trying to find some private land to hunt...
Unless you belong to a hunt club (some allow guests) or have leased the land yourself there is little to no private land you will find that has an open invitation to strangers.

The only freebies are when urban herds are culled - that is either done by lottery or professional hunters.

Most successful hunts are a result of planning and preparation waaay in advance of the current deer season: acquiring the land, planting feed plots, scouting, game cams, building or placing tree stands, long days in the field during off season.....considerable investment.

You might look into Ft. Lee:
http://www.lee.army.mil/documents/policy/FL Policy 14-12 Wildlife Management Hunting Policy.pdf