Thread: Help with lost Ohio CCW Certificate? Do I have to re-train?

Help with lost Ohio CCW Certificate? Do I have to re-train?

Didn't know where to post this as I am fairly new. I took my CCW class in March and lost my certificate right afterwards while moving. My instructor has told me repeatedly he would print out a new one but he is going through family troubles and I just never seem to get one from him. Do I have to re-train or re-take the class to get another Certificate? Or is there a centralized system somewhere in Ohio that might be able to print it out so I can take to the local Sheriff and apply for the permit? If anyone knows I would appreciate help.

I would be VERY much surprised if these certificates were centralized at any point. In Colorado, I have not found evidence that these were recorded by any Sheriff's office before I applied for my own permit - and I have two certificates (two different trainers). In fact, from the instructor whose certificate I used, he straight up informed me that he does not submit them to anybody but the student(s). And yet, the office still issued my CHP to me.

So, at this point, it sounds like get another certificate from your original instructor, or taking another class from somebody else, are your only options.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Show up at a scheduled class with your hand out and a smile......bet he would come through w/o charge
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

There is no centralized system in Ohio for the training certificates - an instructor might use the NRA course and provide an NRA certificate, or design his own course and supply his own certificate. Grapeshot has a good idea - show up ad his next scheduled class with your hand out.

If that fails to work, and you cannot get the certificate from your instructor any other way, then you may have no choice but to take the class again.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Show up at a scheduled class with your hand out and a smile......bet he would come through w/o charge
    I give it 50/50 ... certainly worth a shot. Always scan your important docs ....

Cool Good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    That's a good idea. I think his classes are on hold b/c his Dad is sick but I will try to find out for sure.
    Thanks
    Mary at www.GunHandbags.com

Interesting product line.

A favorite of mine is a zippered black leather book cover with BIBLE in goldleaf and a compartment of foam cut out for my CCW.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.