• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Winchester Win1911 ammo

zack991

Anyone who carries a 1911 may want to look into these.Winchester has developed a 230 Grain JHP just for the 1911s. I have ran over 150 rounds without issue using the following. Colt 1911 Government Model series 80 with Wilson combat 7 round mags. Do your own testing, but these have been the most reliable JHP for me so far, still testing. Recoil is not bad and the rounds are not +P. Muzzle Velocity: 880 fps Muzzle Energy: 395 ft. lbs. 39.00 bucks for 50 rounds
0B0428DC-EDAB-4946-A699-2B6188DEB2DD_zps7dskbazt.jpg

63452AFF-E28B-4C44-A8BF-B27D88E51567_zpsyjslwyf7.jpg

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
I've had no issue with Winchester Rangers in any 1911 (or any other 45 acp for that matter). From the bit I can see those look similar.

One thing I like about the Rangers is that POI is identical to practice ammo. How do these compare POI to tpical practice ammo?

zack991

I've had no issue with Winchester Rangers in any 1911 (or any other 45 acp for that matter). From the bit I can see those look similar.

One thing I like about the Rangers is that POI is identical to practice ammo. How do these compare POI to tpical practice ammo?

My POI is nearly the same as long as there is no shooter errors on my part. They sell a FMJ Win1911 ammo that I have tested the JHP ammo against and both are close to the exact same POI.

Firearms Iinstuctor

A good marketing ploy by Winchester right up there with Hornaday zombie ammo.

Looks like good ammo Winchester makes good ammo buy it if you want.

Considering the 1911 was designed for the 45acp fmj. That always has been a problem with the 1911 design. A lot of them wouldn't function well with modern hollow points unless worked on. A lot of the newer ones well.

If your 1911 well only shoot this ammo one might think it could use some work from a pistol smith.

My Ruger P90 so far functions and feeds with any thing from 185JHPs to 255gr lead SWC.

Marco

GREAT MARKETING on Winchester's part.
But no thanks, for standard fair I'd go, Golddot, Golden Sabre or HST.

An outstanding personal defense load using Barnes' excellent all copper bullet. This load should only be used in full sized guns that have a +P recoil spring.

Caliber : .450 SMC
Bullet : 160gr. Barnes TAC-XP Lead Free
Ballistics : 1350fps - 648 ft./lbs. - 5" 1911

My preferred SD rd.

Last edited:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
A good marketing ploy by Winchester right up there with Hornaday zombie ammo.

Looks like good ammo Winchester makes good ammo buy it if you want.

Considering the 1911 was designed for the 45acp fmj. That always has been a problem with the 1911 design. A lot of them wouldn't function well with modern hollow points unless worked on. A lot of the newer ones well.

If your 1911 well only shoot this ammo one might think it could use some work from a pistol smith.

My Ruger P90 so far functions and feeds with any thing from 185JHPs to 255gr lead SWC.
I think the comparison to zombie ammo is unfair as that ammo seems just gimmicky. This appears to be an honest attempt to keep enough radius into the hollowpoint to facilitate the profile of a FMJ at a point where the round will properly angle on and travel up the ramp of even older 1911s. It looks to have a bit more radius than the Rangers and obviously doesn't have the scalloping of the Rangers. And it's price point is reasonable for SD ammo. Meh, I'm no expert, just thinking out loud maybe.