• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rules for transferring a pistol over to my wife's name in the Commonwealth of Ky. ?

warvet68/69

My wife like's to carry a 32 Cal. pistol i own.I own a couple more and never carry the one she likes.Do I have to sell the pistol to her, or just go to the local Sheriff department to have it transferred to her name? Help anyone....Thanks!

warvet68/69

Private sales and gifts of firearms are legal in Ky. As long as you both reside in Ky. and she can legally own the gun, you can just give it to her and that is the end of it. No paperwork or notification is necessary. Guns are sold and given like this every day in Ky. The sheriff's office has no idea who owns what. they don't even know that you own it, now, unless you went there and told them. If you did that, they don't care. There is no gun registration in Ky.
Thanks gutshot,but when i bought the pistol, i did fill out paper work before the gun store would sell it to me .They did a background check on me to see if i qualified to own the pistol. Thanks again.

ATM

Campaign Veteran
Thanks gutshot,but when i bought the pistol, i did fill out paper work before the gun store would sell it to me .They did a background check on me to see if i qualified to own the pistol. Thanks again.

That procedure is required of Federal Firearms Licensees (FFLs) when they transfer a firearm, but it is not required of you.

warvet68/69

Yes, but that paperwork goes nowhere except to the dealers files. During the background check the ATF only knows what kind of gun it is, handgun, rifle, shotgun etc.; no serial numbers, no make, no model. Those ATF records can only be kept for 24 hours, then they must be destroyed. If your wife buys a gun from a licensed dealer, she would have to do the same thing. A private sale does not require that. Over the years, I have bought and sold many guns in private sales. A dealer is required to go through that procedure. A private citizen is not. A private citizen can not do a background check on another person. See KRS 237.020, paragraph (1).
All is clear now gutshot,thank you for your help.warvet68/69

OC for ME

Form 4473, Section D - Must Be Completed By Transferor (Seller), boxes:

26 - (Gun) Manufacture/Importer
27 - Model
28 - Serial Number
29 - Type (pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, receiver, frame, etc.)
30 - Caliber or gauge.

This form 4473 is a gun registry.

LEX_XDM40compact

Don't know about you, but my last purchase was at Cabelas and the 4473 was completed on a computer not a paper form.

My last xx purchases done at my local owned gun shop the form was filed out on paper and the form went into a safe in the back to never be seen again. Of course it would come out of the safe if the shop was audited etc or any other issue arising.

However it is NOT in any database to be searched or found. That can not be questioned lol

I for one would never purchase a firearm or fill out any form to do so on a computer or any electronic format. But hey maybe my tin foil hat is doing to much damage? :)

as for warvet to answer your question as already answered. If you willingly know your wife can legally posses the firearm its all hers no form or anything special needed in our great Commonwealth

Last edited:

XD40sc

And the form you filled out (BATF Form 4473) is still on file in the backroom of the gun store your bought it from, and they have to keep it for 20 years. No one has probably looked at it since they put it in the filing cabinet, or box.

warvet68/69

My last xx purchases done at my local owned gun shop the form was filed out on paper and the form went into a safe in the back to never be seen again. Of course it would come out of the safe if the shop was audited etc or any other issue arising.

However it is NOT in any database to be searched or found. That can not be questioned lol

I for one would never purchase a firearm or fill out any form to do so on a computer or any electronic format. But hey maybe my tin foil hat is doing to much damage? :)

as for warvet to answer your question as already answered. If you willingly know your wife can legally posses the firearm its all hers no form or anything special needed in our great Commonwealth
Reading those comments had me confused for a moment there.... gutshot had already answer it for me. Thank you LEX.

OC for ME

It is a fact of modern life that sooner or later all paper forms will disappear and be replaced by electronic format. ....
It is a "fact of life" that every computer system "connected" to a external network (and what large retailer's network is not connected to the Interwebz) is accessible by any who have a desire to access it. The evidence is readily available. Home Depot, Target, JPMorgan Chase, etc.

Every firearm purchased through a retail transaction is "registered" to that purchaser. Whether or not the information is accessed is irrelevant.

LEX_XDM40compact

It is a fact of modern life that sooner or later all paper forms will disappear and be replaced by electronic format. That doesn't mean that "Big Brother" has access to those electronic files through the interwebs. I scan paper documents into my computer every day. I convert paper form to digital forms and fill them out on my computer all the time. They stay right there on my hard drive, unless I want to print them out or send them to somebody else by USPS or electronically (fax, email, FTP or email). Barack Obama and Eric Holder are not sneaking a peek at them. If a 4473 is filled out on paper or on a computer, it stays with the selling dealer in a filing cabinet, on digital media or on a hard drive. The identifying information on the 4473 is not transmitted to ATF. That is not "gun registration". Cars are "registered" to their owners and when you sell them you transfer the registration. That is not the case with guns. An individual selling a gun is no more than an individual selling a wristwatch. We can sell them at will. We can sell them and buy them back, we can sell them to strangers, we can give them away without even knowing or remembering who we sold them to or gave them to. We don't have to remember how much we paid for them or what we sold them for. We don't pay taxes on the "transfer". We don't have to document anything. If Eric Holder ever comes to your door and asks to see one or all of your guns, all you have do say is "I sold it." If they ask who bought it, you say, "I don't remember". End of conversation. If they don't believe you, they can get a warrant and search your house. If you have been stupid enough to lie to them and let them find it, you are in trouble. Anyone who thinks that equals "registration" does not understand the word or is intentionally misusing the term.

Sadly Kentucky will be going to electronic renewal and applications for CCDW before the end of this year. This bothers me as KY is currently one of the few who still do all of the CCDW "old school" and on paper, with the rise of "data breaches" I would not want the names of CCDW owners released seeing as currently there is no public listing nor will KY give any public names of those who have one currently to anyone they will only verify from another law enforcement agency if a holders is valid. The same goes in regards to storing any critical data ( 4473 etc) on a public data infrastructure.

It is a "fact of life" that every computer system "connected" to a external network (and what large retailer's network is not connected to the Interwebz) is accessible by any who have a desire to access it. The evidence is readily available. Home Depot, Target, JPMorgan Chase, etc.

Every firearm purchased through a retail transaction is "registered" to that purchaser. Whether or not the information is accessed is irrelevant.

Again my local gun shop as an example I pay cash, I fill out the paper work, I walk out with my new firearm. The only thing registered to me in anyway is the paper work I filled out that goes right into the safe to collect dust. The only networked device in the building is a PC for the dealer to LOOK UP gun prices etc and order. no POS ( point of sale) system at all installed.

While I agree 100% with the data breach like i previously mentioned, that is why I would stir away from any retail that uses such means of transactions.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned

How would a data breach equal "gun registration"? By your definition my credit card must be "registered". It was compromised by the data breach at Home Depot. Gee, I hope ATF doesn't raid my house looking for my "assault credit card".

Funny. But, of course, the NSA already has you credit card activity information ...

BurgerBoy

You can give it to her as a gift.

My daughter wanted a gun I owned so I checked up on the law.

They said you could give it to anybody that was a member of your family as a gift and that it required no paper work.