• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Racking a hi-point 9mm

Pat Gardner

Hello Everyone,

I'm thinking about getting a hi-point 9mm and i was born with cerebral palsy on my right side, so i have really no use in my right arm. would you guys know a safe way i can rack this firearm??. i currently carry my .22cal revolver that i have had since i was 13. thank you all

Maverick9

If you have trouble racking a slide, why aren't you carrying a revolver?

Do you expect in the stress of combat you'll be able to do it? It's not a reliable option.

mobiushky

It's a commonly taught drill as Nightmare said. Single handed malfunction drills. Catch the rear sight on something like clothing (belts are great for this) or your holster. And rack the slide using that as the catch. You might need to replace the rear sights if they are not flat on the leading edge. Another good option is to add a section of skate board tape to the top of the slide. It's basically sand paper with a sticky side. Place about a 2" long strip down the top center of the slide just behind the ejection port. That tape can be used on any clothing, but it will eventually tear up your clothes. Don't worry, it is possible to use a semi-auto with one hand. But then Maverick9 does raise a decent point. Of course, reloading a revolver with only one hand is about as difficult so it's kind of a toss up.

Decent video showing one option, watch how he hooks the ejection port on the holster. If your rear sight is beveled on the leading edge, you might have to do it closer to this, but that's gonna be tough with the arrangement of the port on the Hi-Point doesn't roll over the top of the slide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veW6b27RMlA

This is good too. PS, no commentary on James Yeager or Tactical Response is intended by me in providing this link. Some people love him, some people hate him. Neither of which are important. This is a video of a guy with only one arm showing how effective you can be with a semi-auto. That's all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIPFMux45L4&list=UUF8eRHGyx5mZxINmDzVFVUg

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Hi Pat, glad to see you are armed and ready to defend yourself.

You did not mention any "appliances" you may be using, such as cane, walker, or wheelchair. If so, a simple "rack point" could be found on that if you choose to use a semi auto.

The recommendation of a revolver is valid. As for round count, nobody says you can't have just one. Besides , I like a "new york reload".

http://youtu.be/7KCzK9pWQDo CAUTION- LANGUAGE

Rusty Young Man

Hello Everyone,

I'm thinking about getting a hi-point 9mm and i was born with cerebral palsy on my right side, so i have really no use in my right arm. would you guys know a safe way i can rack this firearm??. i currently carry my .22cal revolver that i have had since i was 13. thank you all

Hello back at you from (usually) sunny, dry Arizona!:)

As others have stated, you can use another object to rack your slide on; in the case of a Hi Point, there is plenty of flat-ish slide area above the muzzle that may be pushed against a solid object such as a table, door edge, or even holster. Ideally, one would carry with a full magazine and one in the chamber, but I do not know the local ordinances you must abide by. The advantage of the Hi Point is the relatively large flat area that can be used to rack it single-handedly if local ordinances prohibit carry with one in the chamber.:)

That said, a prominent member of the AZ subforum has noted that the Hi Points that seem to be plagued with problems tend to be the 9mm versions; I believe he once said that all his .45 and .40 Hi Points run flawlessly and that only the 9mm have given him trouble. I can attest to the reliability of the .45 ACP he brought out to an OC get-together (and the accuracy as well).

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

My wife owns a CF380, it is not the best gun for somebody with a disability. Especially considering the single stack mag, and that the slide must be pulled back to release it as opposed to a slide release. Glocks are much more expensive than the C9, but would be a better choice. Or a S&W SD9VE which is very much like a Glock, with it's drop safety and double action like trigger pull it would be a safe gun to carry chambered. Both guns are double stack and have over a 15 round capacity.

Her CF380 runs flawlessly, same gun just chambered in 380.

Last edited:

mobiushky

Hello back at you from (usually) sunny, dry Arizona!:)

As others have stated, you can use another object to rack your slide on; in the case of a Hi Point, there is plenty of flat-ish slide area above the muzzle that may be pushed against a solid object such as a table, door edge, or even holster. Ideally, one would carry with a full magazine and one in the chamber, but I do not know the local ordinances you must abide by. The advantage of the Hi Point is the relatively large flat area that can be used to rack it single-handedly if local ordinances prohibit carry with one in the chamber.:)

That said, a prominent member of the AZ subforum has noted that the Hi Points that seem to be plagued with problems tend to be the 9mm versions; I believe he once said that all his .45 and .40 Hi Points run flawlessly and that only the 9mm have given him trouble. I can attest to the reliability of the .45 ACP he brought out to an OC get-together (and the accuracy as well).

I am not attacking you, just want to think the 2 bolded parts through together. Trying to catch the front edge of the slide on your holster means you are muzzling your own leg. BTW, I'm not a safety nazi so I'm not saying anything like that. Just that if it were me, I would use the lip of the rear sight on the holster to avoid the chance of ND into the leg. Just having visions of a guy pointing his gun at his hip trying to rack the slide... scary.

FreeInAZ

@OP - The Hi-Point may not be the pistol for you because of what walking wolf and others have said. The sling shot of the slide to reload kills it for you. :( If it is a budget semi in 9mm you are looking for I will send you a PM of a reputable online seller where new pistols can often be had for well under $300 shipped to your FFL.

Wish you all the best.

- F.I.A.

Edited to add - you will want to look for a pistol that has: full ambi slide release controls along with ambi safety, ambi mag release (important in your case) etc... I sent you one suggestion and you may want to look at another couple of links I'm sending you.

Last edited:

BlueSquid

I'm not sure how reasonable, expensive or detrimental to the integrity of a gun this would be...but in a special situation like this, would it be worth it for him to pick out the gun he wants and can afford, and look at spending a little extra to have a small, smooth hook welded on to the right side rear of the slide? Then he could use a pocket, belt loop, or probably better yet his belt, to rack the slide. I'm sure with a little practice he could get reasonably quick at the motion as well. Again, I'm no engineer, so I don't know if the welding would cause a weak area on the slide itself, shortening the serviceable life of the gun, but seems like it wouldn't be too expensive of a mod. I know they did something similar on I think it was Sons of Guns, which I realize is a TV show. But a good gunsmith might be able to work something like that out I would imagine.

WalkingWolf

I'm not sure how reasonable, expensive or detrimental to the integrity of a gun this would be...but in a special situation like this, would it be worth it for him to pick out the gun he wants and can afford, and look at spending a little extra to have a small, smooth hook welded on to the right side rear of the slide? Then he could use a pocket, belt loop, or probably better yet his belt, to rack the slide. I'm sure with a little practice he could get reasonably quick at the motion as well. Again, I'm no engineer, so I don't know if the welding would cause a weak area on the slide itself, shortening the serviceable life of the gun, but seems like it wouldn't be too expensive of a mod. I know they did something similar on I think it was Sons of Guns, which I realize is a TV show. But a good gunsmith might be able to work something like that out I would imagine.

Competition shooters do use a racking device on their guns but the device will limit holster. For right hand the device would be on the left side, digging into the ribs if worn with a hugging holster. Plus with his disability he really needs a hi cap magazine. The glock device IIRC goes into the rear dovetail since most use a reflex site mounted over the slide.

FreeInAZ

Well - Pat may find some of this useful, I hope? He is in a very limited place when it comes to choices and budget. At least he's got his 22lr revolver (hopefully he can find ammo for it) to get him by for now. Good on all those who chimed in to help here at OCDO! Well done guys & gals. :)

Last edited:

Pat Gardner

Thanks to everyone who has responded to me, I forgot to say how handicapped i'am, I've had cerebral palsy for 47 yrs.."born with it". My right arm doesn't work that great so i do everything with my left arm. Anyway my son and i went to Cabelas in post falls Id on the 11th of this month and i bought the hi-point 9 mm, which i open carry every day. been practicing racking and its getting easier to do it.."putting the rear sights on my belt and racking it that way, and racking it with the heal of my boot which the salesman at cabelas showed me". Again thanks to everyone for your input.

Carry On and be safe out there

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Thanks to everyone who has responded to me, I forgot to say how handicapped i'am, I've had cerebral palsy for 47 yrs.."born with it". My right arm doesn't work that great so i do everything with my left arm. Anyway my son and i went to Cabelas in post falls Id on the 11th of this month and i bought the hi-point 9 mm, which i open carry every day. been practicing racking and its getting easier to do it.."putting the rear sights on my belt and racking it that way, and racking it with the heal of my boot which the salesman at cabelas showed me". Again thanks to everyone for your input.

+1 IIt's one thing to carry when it's easy. It's another when it is diifficult. I admire your resolve!

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
While I'm still flabbergasted that a revolver wasn't an obviously preferred choice, you can also do what several competition shooters do. Install an easily graspable handle onto the side of the slide.

This is just one example. These are common for "open class" guns used in USPSA and IPSC.

100_2442.jpg

davidmcbeth

Banned

Necessity is the mother of invention....carry on!