Thread: OC / CC Clothing options / Questions

OC / CC Clothing options / Questions

OK does anyone actually use a Duty belt when they OC it seems some of my full size firearms seem to just kill my daily belt on my jeans and do not give enough support. Also when does carrying OC turn in CC as if I have my firearm on my belt but I am wearing a jacket that covers it or covers it 90%. Where is the line drawn between is CC only deep cover in your pocket or totally inside a jacket pocket? RenZ

Quote Originally Posted by Renegadez View Post
    OK does anyone actually use a Duty belt when they OC it seems some of my full size firearms seem to just kill my daily belt on my jeans and do not give enough support. Also when does carrying OC turn in CC as if I have my firearm on my belt but I am wearing a jacket that covers it or covers it 90%. Where is the line drawn between is CC only deep cover in your pocket or totally inside a jacket pocket? RenZ
    Try a paddle holster. I use a serpa. It slides on the INSIDE of your pants/jeans. Then the jeans support the pants instead of just the gun. There should be retention tabs on inside of paddle so it grips the belt from a gun grab.
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

I do not know what is a "duty belt". My every day wear is a gunbelt by beltman.net, 1½ bullhide stiffened and sized to go over winterwear.

The cusp between OC and CC is in your jurisdiction.

Wisconsin is a traditional open carry state with concealed carry of a weapon prohibited without a permission slip. If the wind flips my jacket or coat up then I momentarily carried traditionally. In South Carolina, contrariwise, no carry is generally legal but concealed carry is permissible with a permission slip. SC does not have a brandishing statute, requiring a gun concealed from ordinary view or some such- not generally an issue.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

gunbelt by beltman.net, looks damn nice!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    Try a paddle holster. I use a serpa. It slides on the INSIDE of your pants/jeans. Then the jeans support the pants instead of just the gun. There should be retention tabs on inside of paddle so it grips the belt from a gun grab.
    Presume you mean "then the belt supports the pants".......unless you are wearing multiple jeans/pants.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Wilderness Instructor - 5 Stitch

I wear it for EVERYTHING.

http://www.thewilderness.com/tactica...structor-belt/

Quote Originally Posted by JEStucker View Post
    Wilderness Instructor - 5 Stitch

I wear it for EVERYTHING.

http://www.thewilderness.com/tactica...structor-belt/
    Seems along the same lines as the 5.11 tactical Trainer.
    http://www.amazon.com/5-11-Tactical-...pr_product_top

I just know my regular belt is not working for my full Glock works fine for the .380 tho

I have 2 from the beltman and no problem with a 5" 1911. You do have to stomach a 4 week wait and ~$80, or more.

Quote Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post
    I have 2 from the beltman and no problem with a 5" 1911. You do have to stomach a 4 week wait and ~$80, or more.
    I went and picked up the 5.11 tactical local here in KC at a cop shop ALAMAR UNIFORMS CO.
    9200 MARSHALL DRIVE
    LENEXA, KS 66215

This way i can try it on for size being my first one. The ladies there were very helpful and got me sized and on my way quickly. I am going to ask Mrs.Claus for a Beltman belt for Xmas though this one seems great for EDC for now but I do prefer leather.

I use a CW belt for carry, do not use the belt loops on pants. I let the belt ride on the hip instead of the waist.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    Yes.

About a year ago, I bought a Blackhawk Serpa paddle holster just for the hell of it. I've tried a dozen different styles of holster, but I'll be damned if this one isn't the best holster I've ever donned. It is now the ONLY holster I use.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasOC View Post
    Yes.

About a year ago, I bought a Blackhawk Serpa paddle holster just for the hell of it. I've tried a dozen different styles of holster, but I'll be damned if this one isn't the best holster I've ever donned. It is now the ONLY holster I use.
    Same here. Technically, I own another holster, but the other was a POS Uncle Mike's (you know, those stupid generic nylon "sleeves"). I'm wearing my Serpa right now, and love it. But I'm a bigger, pudgier guy around the midsection. When I lose the flab (a process I've already started, and it's already shrinking), I'm probably going to get a High Noon Paddle holster, since it keeps the pistol closer to the body.

IWB is a no-go for me - just too damned uncomfortable, and I need to be able to remove my holster relatively quickly to comply with company policies. It's either that, or go wholly unarmed to, from, and at work. With a paddle's (relatively) easy on-off arrangement, I can disarm at the parking lot off company grounds, work, then come back and re-arm as soon as my shift is over.

For holsters, I'll second everyone else that recommended the Serpa. I own one for my Glock and love it. Very comfortable. As a side note, if you want a CC holster, the MTAC by Comp-Tac is hands down the best CC holster I've ever used.

For belts, I just use a 1.5 inch leather belt I found at JC Penney, I think. I made sure it was quite stiff when I bought it, and even as its softened up over time it still holds both holsters very well.

As for the line between CC and OC, IIRC in MO if 2 or more sides of the gun are visible, it is considered OC. Thus CC is anything less than that, so your jacket would be 100% CC.
    "Somebody ever tries to kill you, you try and kill em right back!" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I OC my Glock 23 in a Fobus Paddle Holster with a Bullhide Belt and I never had any problems with it all all. http://www.bullhidebelts.com/Gun-Belts_ep_111-1.html
    Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol - Gen 3 Glock 23, .40 Caliber
    Cary Pistol - Gen 3 Glock 19, 9mm
    Self Defense Stories

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy View Post
    I OC my Glock 23 in a Fobus Paddle Holster with a Bullhide Belt and I never had any problems with it all all. http://www.bullhidebelts.com/Gun-Belts_ep_111-1.html
    that is also a nice looking belt could not look at the holster your link leads to Graingers site strange.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy View Post
    that is also a nice looking belt could not look at the holster your link leads to Graingers site strange.
    The link went straight to Bullhide Belts for me, but of course they do not sell holsters.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    The link went straight to Bullhide Belts for me, but of course they do not sell holsters.
    Yes the belt link worked for the holster link did not but it appears to be working now nice holster btw

Quote Originally Posted by TexasOC View Post
    I wore a SERPA for a number of years in perfect safety despite the widespread 'warnings' about its inherent dangers. I continued to do so even after the Tex Grebner incident as from what I gleaned it was caused more by his switching gun types rather than holster design, but I digress.

I've switched to a Safariland ALS-series holster and haven't looked back. For very roughly the same price as Blackhawk! I have what I feel is superior in both design and material. I don't feel using a SERPA is a disservice, but I do feel better about the ALS. For an even 'closer to the body' holster, I'd probably check out the GLS-series that use the grip to release the pistol rather than the thumb lever. (It is a bet less secure than an ALS, especially an ALS equipped with thumb guard.)

ALS Note how discreet the thumb release is, but also the extra width required by the lever itself.

GLS, note how closely it mounts to the belt plate.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 10-09-2014 at 04:12 PM.

I kept seeing people discuss duty belts so I just bought a nylon one about a year ago just to see how it did. I used it a few times at the range and once for OC. It serves its purpose and I am ok with what I paid for it as I can see using it in certain conditions in the future. But for EDC? Nah, at least not right now given my daily life. I prefer a paddle holster with a gun belt (5.11 in my case).

All of that being said, I can certainly see that for certain people a nylon duty belt with a belt-slide holster certainly could be effective, comfortable and convenient.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Quote Originally Posted by deepdiver View Post
    I kept seeing people discuss duty belts so I just bought a nylon one about a year ago just to see how it did. I used it a few times at the range and once for OC. It serves its purpose and I am ok with what I paid for it as I can see using it in certain conditions in the future. But for EDC? Nah, at least not right now given my daily life. I prefer a paddle holster with a gun belt (5.11 in my case).

All of that being said, I can certainly see that for certain people a nylon duty belt with a belt-slide holster certainly could be effective, comfortable and convenient.
    I now have to agree with you deepdiver I originally posted about Duty as I was some what uneducated on the subject of belts in general regarding carrying OC or CC as I had always just used a fairly heavy leather belt I had wore for many years. I bought this 5.11 tactical "trainer belt" which has made a world in just the 3days I have been using it. Seems like i have alot less pressure on my hips and my jeans stay up now with much less sag I hate have to pull my britches up all the time as well as it seems a lot more comfortable even thought much stiffer then my leather belt. I bought it at a shop local here in KC for 40 bucks which did not seem bad again this is my first time regarding a firearm specific belt duty belt may have been over kill for my needs now that i am educated on the matter. but wow what a difference it makes! Now with all that said is this 5.11 belt the be all end of my search i doubt it as i really liked the look of the bull hide belts but for now this is a good start at a fair price I am pleased.

Now onto my new holster research which i have read almost every holster thread on this forum there is ALOTTTT of them! As Walkingwolf pointed out in one thread to many to mention so use my Go0gle Fu which I have.

1. S&W Bodyguard 380 w/ laser both for OC & CC
    2. Glock 23 .40 for OC im not sure I could cc it comfortable except in the winter in a jacket as I have small frame 165 pounds or so.

That said I am looking at
    Remore Carbon Carry for the S&W for both CC and OC not sure yet on the glock both are new to me so I want more field time with them.
    Last edited by Renegadez; 10-09-2014 at 05:17 PM.

Every day at work.

That's a 4 inch S&W Model 686, two double speedloader holders, handcuffs in a case, and pepper spray in a case. Not shown is the 26 inch collapsible baton and radio.
    [emoji61] That's at least 45 hours a week.
    Last edited by Elm Creek Smith; 10-09-2014 at 10:21 PM.
    "If the truth hurts, it should." - Dad

" A year from now, ten, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." - Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity

"The cheaper the crook, the gaudier the patter." - Sam Spade, The Maltese Falcon

I now have to agree with you deepdiver I originally posted about Duty as I was some what uneducated on the subject of belts in general regarding carrying OC or CC as I had always just used a fairly heavy leather belt I had wore for many years. I bought this 5.11 tactical "trainer belt" which has made a world in just the 3days I have been using it.
    I use a leather 5.11 belt most of the time. I have my eye on the trainer belt for casual wear.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

My two types of OC. I'm on the left wearing a Bladetech dropdown with a Blackhawk Serpa retention holster. My other method is a Blackhawk Serpa retention holster with a paddle, like the guys wearing on the right. This picture was taken at the Lenexa Open Carry meeting this July.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lenexa Open Carry Meeting cropped.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	12123  
    Psalm 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Psalm 144:2 My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me. Pro 14:15 The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.