• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New 1911

The Truth

tactical-supergrade-compact-1.jpg

Pretty cheap too.

http://wilsoncombat.com/new/handgun-tactical-supergrade-compact.asp

J_dazzle23

Wow this is potentially a can of worms debate you've got on your hands.

Traditionally, a 1911 is a .45 acp round. There are some manufacturers that will make it in a different caliber option, for example sig makes a p938 that is a subcompact 1911-style gun chambered in 9mm.

With 1911 the options are limitless. You can spend some money and Kimber has some fantastic compact options. Ruger and Remington I believe both make the cmd versions in a 4.25 inch barrel.

Take a good look around, let everybody know some specifics that you want, and plenty here will be able to help you with specific models.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Start with how much you can afford, or how much you wish to spend. Prices can range from 500 bucks to 10 grand or more.

I would suggest you stay away from Kimber, or at least do a lot of reading on gun boards first.

The Truth

All kidding aside, I have heard really mostly good things about Sig Sauer's 1911s. I'm in the process of hunting down an Emperor Scorpion myself at the moment. The only negatives I've heard are usually from die hard traditional 1911 guys who don't like the external extractor for some odd reason, and don't like the TM Sig look to the slide, or they don't like a 1911 with a rail. Sig makes traditional non-rail 1911s as well though. They range from about $750-$1,100 depending on how far you wanna go with it. Used, I've seen a Sig 1911 go for $700 but that's pretty cheap. I haven't done much research on the Commander sized

There are quite a few different "styles" with different grips and coatings (Cerakote, Nitron) and whatnot. Best bet is just to go look at a shop or you can always check em out online, which is what I'm forced to do due to rarity. I like learning all the models first then Google image searching them instead of using Sig's website pics for reference. I want to know what it's really going to look like. That being said if I was buying one to keep it .45 ACP and if it had to be Commander sized, I would probably go with a Sig Carry Nitron. I'm very partial to Sig's Nitron/Custom Rosewood grips configuration. It's the same configuration as my P229 .40.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/1911-carry-nitron.aspx

There are endless options out there though. Just about every gun manufacturer has some form of a 1911.

J_dazzle23

+1 on the sig 19 11 ' s. I LOVE the external extractor.

My ruger sr1911 had one as well. I'd just recommend you stick with 70 model 19 11 ' s and not the 80 models

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
what is the best brand for a new compact 1911 .45ACP and do they make it in 9mm or .40 S&W?

We have a Kimber Ultra Carry II in 45 acp. Pistol Packin Momma on here has one in 9mm. It is a compact 1911. It has been a fantastic gun. The only jams ever since first few hundred break-in were when my wife was shooting in cold and it was slipping in her gloves effectively causing a limp wrist and stove pipes. Took off gloves and problem disappeared.

Only problem was welded plate on captive recoil spring assembly broke at guide rod and in hind sight was probably user error. Had about 3k rounds through it so called Kimber to buy new one. They warrantied it when I answered what happened and how many rounds and I had new in hand plus new spring retention tool within a week at no charge. Have about 5k through it now, no other issues (besides holster wear :) ) and is my wife's favorite.

YMMV and others have indicated different experience but my father in law and I have had several Kimbers over last 5 years with good experience all around.

It is the only compact 1911 I have shot more than a box of ammo through so besides saying it is as nice or nicer than the others I have shot I don't have the experience to give comparison.

Edited to correct horrid grammar error./grammar nazi

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

Right now if I were going out and buy a 1911 I would buy a Ruger.

I prefer stainless handguns.

But the question is kind of like asking what woman makes the best wife.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I checked out this website and I like what I see. Thank you.:)

Keep in mind these are cast frames, not forged. I have a cast essex frame I have had for 20 years, and it has held up fine. I would not recommend a steady diet of +p or over for a cast frame.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Who did you report to?

Ive PMed grape 3 hours ago..
And john.
And mike.
And biggayal.

See that little triangle with the exclamation point inside. Click it, them enter a word or two about why you want to report the post as inappropriate or troublesome. It automatically goes to the powers that be.

(Sadly, thy are not accepting reports about just plain stupid posts - must have something to do with John's & Mike's belief that people are allowed to expose themselves as stupid so that others will see the stupidity.:uhoh:)

stay safe.

WalkingWolf

Who did you report to?

Ive PMed grape 3 hours ago..
And john.
And mike.
And biggayal.

They are probably busy with life outside OCDO so I would imagine once they read the PMs they will go about correcting the problem. It is a big problem though, I have never seen spamming on this scale before.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
They are probably busy with life outside OCDO so I would imagine once they read the PMs they will go about correcting the problem. It is a big problem though, I have never seen spamming on this scale before.

I can't speak about anybody else but Grape has told me he deals with "reports" before he looks at PMs (of which he has literally hundreds per day). Be kind to him and use the "report" button.

stay safe.

HPmatt

Just remembered this pic of a used 1911 I saw in huntsville this summer...
23cfa2637c4969a5d5f0a4c7733c0ba0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk