Thread: Pistol Ammunition what's legal and illegal ?

Pistol Ammunition what's legal and illegal ?

Is it legal or illegal to use 38 special hollow point ammo in Kentucky? I have have both regula lead & hollow points.

I don't know why it wouldn't. I carry the Federal "Tactical" HST 124gr 9mm+P hollow points which are supposed to be for LE only I believe. Fortunately, the internet is a great place to get great ammo.
    “Freedom is something that dies unless it's used.”
    - Hunter S. Thompson

"The strength of the Constitution, lies in the will of the people to defend it."
    - Thomas Edison.

Quote Originally Posted by KySIGGuy View Post
    I don't know why it wouldn't. I carry the Federal "Tactical" HST 124gr 9mm+P hollow points which are supposed to be for LE only I believe. Fortunately, the internet is a great place to get great ammo.
    Don't believe it. Anybody, not in new jersey, can purchase and use them. I have AR magazines marked "LE ONLY" and I use the hell out of them. I carry Black Talons in my EDC and there are bunches of boxes of "Lawman" rounds in my ammo locker. All marked "LE Only"

I did a quick google and found nothing restricting ammunition. The KY locals might know differently, but it appears unregulated.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    Don't believe it. Anybody, not in new jersey, can purchase and use them. I have AR magazines marked "LE ONLY" and I use the hell out of them. I carry Black Talons in my EDC and there are bunches of boxes of "Lawman" rounds in my ammo locker. All marked "LE Only"

I did a quick google and found nothing restricting ammunition. The KY locals might know differently, but it appears unregulated.
    Thank you i appreciate that MSG Laigaie.

Quote Originally Posted by KySIGGuy View Post
    KySIGGuy,thank you!

Sometimes the ammunition companies stamp certain of their loadings as being "Law enforcement only" but if it stops selling well it often mysteriously ends up in gun shops for "civilians" to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
    Sometimes the ammunition companies stamp certain of their loadings as being "Law enforcement only" but if it stops selling well it often mysteriously ends up in gun shops for "civilians" to buy.
    Thanks Brain D.

Regular Member LEX_XDM40compact's Avatar
    To my current knowledge the only regulation we have here in KY on ammuntion is rounds that are for "armor piercing". There is also somewhere in the KRS about "flanged" ammo. All other ammunition is legal to use / own / carry.

See : http://www.lrc.ky.gov/statutes/statute.aspx?id=11125

Also for definitions of these http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Statutes/statute.aspx?id=11123

In short, 99% of ammo you find in any shop will be legal to use and carry here in KY. Hollow points; bonded or jacketed and FMJ. Also any ammo or firearms labeled "for law enforcement use only" that fall under what is legal ( ie not armor piercing / fanged ) is simply a marketing tool and it is legal for you to use.

As far as I know, hollow points are legal in 49 states.

They are illegal to posses (gun or not) in New Jersey. They are "special" up there, bless their hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson44546 View Post
    As far as I know, hollow points are legal in 49 states.

They are illegal to posses (gun or not) in New Jersey. They are "special" up there, bless their hearts.
    lol Must be blessed in N.J.Thanks cjohnson!

I carry hollow points in my EDC.
    Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol - Gen 3 Glock 23, .40 Caliber
    Cary Pistol - Gen 3 Glock 19, 9mm
    Self Defense Stories

It's different for every state. AR requires frangible rounds in your carry gun whereas TN allows FMJ or frangible. Some less gun friendly states make it a crime to even possess hollow-point/frangible rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopis View Post
    AR requires frangible rounds in your carry gun whereas TN allows FMJ or frangible.
    Can you provide a cite for either of those? I couldn't find anything in AR law requiring frangible, or in TN law restricting you to FMJ or frangible.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by LEX_XDM40compact View Post
    To my current knowledge the only regulation we have here in KY on ammuntion is rounds that are for "armor piercing". There is also somewhere in the KRS about "flanged" ammo. All other ammunition is legal to use / own / carry.

See : http://www.lrc.ky.gov/statutes/statute.aspx?id=11125

Also for definitions of these http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Statutes/statute.aspx?id=11123

In short, 99% of ammo you find in any shop will be legal to use and carry here in KY. Hollow points; bonded or jacketed and FMJ. Also any ammo or firearms labeled "for law enforcement use only" that fall under what is legal ( ie not armor piercing / fanged ) is simply a marketing tool and it is legal for you to use.
    Thanks for the links LEX_XDM40compact,I appreciate you taken the time to do that.
    I love the life I live,and I live the life I love,I carry both ways!

I carry hollow points in my .380, .45 ACP, and sometimes in my .45 Colt single action clones. The ammo that I carry I hand load myself.
    Last edited by Chief Ten Beers; 10-16-2014 at 02:07 PM.
    If you're not ashamed to own it, don't be ashamed to open carry it.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Ten Beers View Post
    I carry hollow points in my .380, .45 ACP, and sometimes in my .45 Colt single action clones. The ammo that I carry I hand load myself.
    I carry FMJ in 380, except for yard carry then HP. I want the bullet to explode in small varmints so I don't need the penetration. I use 200gr cast in 38 spl, 44 spl, and 44 magnum. The only two guns I use HP in are the 40 S&W and 9mm Largo. I prefer using the old standards of Elmer Kieth and Skeeter Skelton and their proven loads for self defense and hunting.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

For 38 Special, I like the "classic" FBI load of 158gr Lead Semi-Wadcutter hollowpoint. In typical +P loadings(i.e. Remington RTP38S12) it will push around 850fps out of a service revolver(slower out of a snub, obviously), which is plenty fast enough for the soft lead generally used to expand. Even if it doesn't expand, it's still an SWC which has a pretty good track record.

Buffalo Bore makes a standard pressure equivalent of this load that gives some really impressive velocity numbers out of snub noses(i.e. 854fps out of a 2" S&W Model 60). https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=110 I have a box of this that I sometimes load in my Detective Special.

The nice thing about the Remington "FBI load" is that while it's more expensive than "standard" 38 special and a lot more expensive than my handloads, it's still a lot less expensive than most high-tech hollowpoints so it's actually affordable to practice with. I've been paying around $30 per box of 50, compared to something like $25 for a box of 20 135gr Gold Dot Hollow Points.

Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

Banned
    Hallow points, full medal junket, what am I a NASA bullet engr?

I just shove what ever fits and fire away .. what it actually is .. is another guy's problem

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I carry FMJ in 380, except for yard carry then HP. I want the bullet to explode in small varmints so I don't need the penetration. I use 200gr cast in 38 spl, 44 spl, and 44 magnum. The only two guns I use HP in are the 40 S&W and 9mm Largo. I prefer using the old standards of Elmer Kieth and Skeeter Skelton and their proven loads for self defense and hunting.
    I hand load my own ammo, and I'm partial to loading the Hornady XTP's. With my .45 Colt, I've only loaded up a box of 50 with 250 grain XTP's, and the rest are with 250 grain cast lead in cowboy loads. I've also loaded some .45 Colt hot with 300 grain XTP's, but I use those in my Rossi M92 for deer hunting only.
    If you're not ashamed to own it, don't be ashamed to open carry it.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

I had to take a second look at the "flanged" ammunition reference. That will make me not legal in KY I guess.

hydroshock on left and my personal fave on the right, Black Talon.
    Last edited by MSG Laigaie; 10-22-2014 at 06:50 PM.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington