Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This may be it - OCer targeted because he was OCing?

Man practicing open carry law robbed of gun

http://koin.com/2014/10/07/man-pract...robbed-of-gun/

The man then asked about the gun, pulled a gun from his own waistband and said “”I like your gun. Give it to me.”

Banned
    That's why you should carry 2 ... toss that one where he'll be distracted and then Blamo ! right between da eyes

which is why you don't show and always be alert to your surroundings and people around you.

If the story is true very poor situational awareness. Asking for a cigarette or light is a common ruse to get close to commit a crime. He should have put his hand on his gun and told the thief to get back or stop.

I had a young man approach me walking several months back on the opposite side of the road. As he started to cross to my side I stopped and backed up as he asked for cigarette. I told him to get back, and unsnapped my gun, he moved back. Carrying OC the victim in this case should have easily had the drop on the thief.

I never let people get close to me, not just to prevent a crime. I don't want other people's germs, colds, flu, or whatever else they are carrying. It is also the reason both my wife and I are armed. Increases the chances a dirt bag may get shot so they move on to the next target.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Well,,,

Sooo,, I have been thinking about this thread "Title" for hours...
    I NEVER practiced OCing a Gun..
    But I DID Study OCing a gun on this forum, and I studied the laws of my state....
    Before I Actually Did OC to my local food store as my first foray with an exposed hand gun.

Oh,,, and I didnt do it, out in the Hood at 2AM!

I think the story is a fake!!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

"Coleman, 21, was talking to his cousin in the 17200 block of NE Glisan St., after purchasing the handgun earlier that day, when a young man asked him for a cigarette, police said."

I doubt we'll hear much more of it.

Google Real time 20 articles ATM
    https://news.google.com/news/rtc?ncl...AQ0v1etxZSegDM
    Last edited by Nightmare; 10-08-2014 at 07:15 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

This may be it - OCer targeted because he was OCing?

GRESHAM, Ore. (KOIN 6) — A man practicing his open carry right was robbed of the gun he was openly carrying.

William Coleman III was robbed of his Walter[sic]- brand P22 just after 2:00 a.m. October 4 in Gresham by a young man who asked him for it — and flashed his own weapon as persuasion.

Coleman, 21, was talking to his cousin in the 17200 block of NE Glisan St., after purchasing the handgun earlier that day, when a young man asked him for a cigarette, police said.

The man then asked about the gun, pulled a gun from his own waistband and said “”I like your gun. Give it to me.”
    This may be the black swan we have all been waiting to discover. And since I am the one reporting it, I claim the three-figure cash reward I have offered for documentation of someone being targeted specifically because they were OCing. Any suggestions on where to spend that $1.00?

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

ABP

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...n&goto=newpost

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    "Coleman, 21, was talking to his cousin in the 17200 block of NE Glisan St., after purchasing the handgun earlier that day, when a young man asked him for a cigarette, police said."

I doubt we'll hear much more of it.

Google Real time 20 articles ATM
    https://news.google.com/news/rtc?ncl...AQ0v1etxZSegDM

All but one of the stories describe the gun the thief was carrying.
    Only one story actually describes the thief. Big surprise.
    Han shot first.

I think the story is fake as well.

The description does not even sound credible.

He is roughly six feet tall, wearing grey sweatpants, a white T-Shirt and flip-flop sandals.

You can run in flip flops, but not very fast. I would suspect that any half brained criminal would not wear flip flops to commit a crime. Plus where did he keep his gun in sweats, that are not supportive of Mexican carry and the rest of the description does not support the criminal would have used a holster.

I call BS!
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

LOL Flipflops, a.k.a. slippahs, are a fine discernment of kama'aina from haoles. If they ain't wearin' slippahs, most likely they're tourists.

But, don'cha know, there's no dress code for LAC.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 10-08-2014 at 09:44 AM.

The hiphops version of a terrible boating accident while I was carrying my entire collection.

Quote Originally Posted by bwboley View Post

"The weapon he used in the robbery was described as a possibly semi-automatic, black gun, Gresham Police said."

Yeah, that narrows it down to about 200 million, or so. He probably should have "practiced" a little more before venturing out on the mean streets.
    Last edited by Wstar425; 10-08-2014 at 10:19 AM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wstar425 View Post
    "The weapon he used in the robbery was described as a possibly semi-automatic, black gun, Gresham Police said."

Yeah, that narrows it down to about 200 million, or so. He probably should have "practiced" a little more before venturing out on the mean streets.
    Presume that means it could have "possibly" been a chrome revolver.

The victim should have just given the BG he wanted......a cigarette. Then he would have been left alone
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post

The victim should have just given the BG he wanted......a cigarette. Then he would have been left alone
    I would have given him my gun, one round at a time...
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by bwboley View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post

Grape wasn't there a reward for anyone who could document a gun grab or gun taken while ocing? I think we found a winner lol
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar
    How the heck does a victim place his hand on his gun and draws it only to give it away? Seems like there's only a few possibilities:

1. Handgun wasn't loaded
    2. Victim wasn't prepared to use it
    3. Victim didn't know how to use it
    4. Story is a lie

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    Grape wasn't there a reward for anyone who could document a gun grab or gun taken while ocing? I think we found a winner lol
    Nope.

There were 2 challanges.

1 -To find a cite where a successful gun grab/snatch resulted in the OCer being killed with his own gun. Military, LEOs, and security were excluded.

2 - The other was to cite where someone was robbed/relieved of their gun because they were OCing. So far this one does not meet that standard.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe416 View Post
    How the heck does a victim place his hand on his gun and draws it only to give it away? Seems like there's only a few possibilities:

1. Handgun wasn't loaded
    2. Victim wasn't prepared to use it
    3. Victim didn't know how to use it
    4. Story is a lie
    Number 4! I too thought that was stupid, why I said I would have given him the gun one round at a time.

Primus this story is clearly bogus, the police report is real, but clearly a anti OCer trying to show those gun grabs that rarely happen. Last time this came up several years ago the person was charged with filing a false police report. Too many things in this that do not make the least sense. Number one for me is carrying a firearm in sweatpants, have you tried to carry a firearm in sweatpants? Then he ran away in flip flops.

Betting the police were not provided a serial number of the supposed stolen firearm.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Per Gresham PD Records Division:

S/N of the stolen gun: L338048

It has been entered into NCIC.

Even with the ser # I don't buy the story. Sounds like a good way to sell a gun to a felon and avoid possible charges down the road. Kinda like some people report a stolen car after driving their car into a ditch while drunk.

Had a deputy do the above in Logan County. Cost him his badge, but because he was a deputy he managed to escape serious charges.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by b0neZ View Post

I still do not believe him, the story just sounds funky. Betting he had second thoughts about making a straw purchase and wanted to protect himself in case of a crime.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I still do not believe him, the story just sounds funky. Betting he had second thoughts about making a straw purchase and wanted to protect himself in case of a crime.
    I'm not saying I believe the story to be one way or another, just providing what I found out is all.

I will say that I hope this story ends up being just that: A story.

If this story is true..... Life hack: If you're going to be in the hood at 2am on a Saturday night, practice some situational awareness. Regardless of carry method, awareness and avoiding stupid people in stupid places and weird times is crucial. All that said, I still prefer OC because there is no deterrent factor with CC. There is no educational factor with CC. There is no celebration of the right to bear arms with CC.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast