• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This may be it - OCer targeted because he was OCing?

77zach

If this story is true..... Life hack: If you're going to be in the hood at 2am on a Saturday night, practice some situational awareness. Regardless of carry method, awareness and avoiding stupid people in stupid places and weird times is crucial. All that said, I still prefer OC because there is no deterrent factor with CC. There is no educational factor with CC. There is no celebration of the right to bear arms with CC.

SFCRetired

Story was posted to a gun rights page on FB. The general consensus was that this story stunk to high heaven. The "victim" just meekly handed over his gun? How many of you would have just handed over their gun; bullets first?

sudden valley gunner

Story was posted to a gun rights page on FB. The general consensus was that this story stunk to high heaven. The "victim" just meekly handed over his gun? How many of you would have just handed over their gun; bullets first?

I say it smells funny too, what person is going to have the person they are robbing hand them their weapon?

The only time someone tried that with me was Officer Elmendor of the Bellingham police, I didn't fall for it.

Last edited:

Kopis

Gun stolen from Open Carrier

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...itioner-gets-unfortunate-late-night-surprise/

William Coleman III was open carrying a handgun he’d just purchased hours earlier when he got an unfortunate surprise.

Image source: Shutterstock
Photo credit: Shutterstock
The 21-year-old was chatting with his cousin just after 2 a.m. Saturday on a street in Gresham, Oregon, when a man approached them and asked Coleman for a cigarette.

The man also stated his admiration for the Walther .22 caliber displayed on Coleman’s person — as allowed under Oregon law — then pulled his own gun from his waistband, KOIN-TV reported.

“I like your gun. Give it to me,” the crook reportedly told Coleman.

Coleman turned over his gun to the man, who fled on foot, the station said.

The suspect is described as a black man between 19 and 23 years old, about 6 feet tall, thin and with short wavy black hair and a small patch of facial hair on his chin. He was wearing gray sweatpants, a white T-shirt and flip-flops, KOIN reported.

Gresham police said the suspect’s weapon looked like a semi-automatic black gun, KOIN reported. The stolen gun is also black and is semi-automatic, according to KPTV-TV.

Last edited:

dmatting

Plus where did he keep his gun in sweats, that are not supportive of Mexican carry and the rest of the description does not support the criminal would have used a holster.

I've been told by one of Durham, NC's finest that it isn't the pants/sweats that they are carrying in but rather the underwear or multiple layers of underwear. They stuff their gun down near their junk so it's less likely to get felt during a frisk.

Kopis

The comments are unbearable:

Exactly why I don’t open carry. Conceled carry gives you the “I know something you don’t know” edge.

All open carry does is make you the first target,,,,

Couldn’t agree more, my 45 is unseen but at the ready for such an encounter

Nobody should know or even suspect you’re carrying’ is my rule.

Exactly why I don’t open carry. Conceled carry gives you the “I know something you don’t know” edge.”
What the perp knew besides where there is a gun to be had was that with open carry the gun can’t be loaded!

Exactly, Nixon. The other aspect, if an open carry individual is in a situation where armed thieves are going to commit a crime regardless, I’m pretty sure the first target(s) will be anyone that is open carrying. Personally speaking, I’ll never understand the attractiveness of open carry.

Open carry folks will lose their mind (I know because they’ve done it on me before) but just because you can do something does not mean you should. This story is 1 more reason why, I believe, I should not open carry. I am armed everyday but no one else knows it and I believe that is the smartest way to go. I just don’t understand why anyone would want to give every bad person out there the foreknowledge that they’re armed. Weighing the theory of “it deters crime” against taking away my element of surprise and perhaps making me and my family a target unnecessarily – to me it’s a no-brainer.

Kopis

WalkingWolf

I've been told by one of Durham, NC's finest that it isn't the pants/sweats that they are carrying in but rather the underwear or multiple layers of underwear. They stuff their gun down near their junk so it's less likely to get felt during a frisk.
:eek::eek::eek:

Then the victim would have had plenty of time to react while he is digging in his shorts. His gun should have been pointed at the gansta before it ever cleared his privates.

GrimeTime

I have noticed all of the antis quoting this article always leave out the parts about it being at 2am and on the street. The most common description is "open carry enthusiast". That paints a very different picture! I somehow doubt that this guy was enthused about anything at 2am.

Sent from my Surface with Windows RT using Tapatalk

The Truth

This is actually the 4th time this thread has been started in the last 24 hours. Wowzers!

The Truth

Wish people would delete duplicates. I don't feel like commenting the same comment on all 4.

Noob OCer gets robbed, now all of a sudden it's a legitimate argument not to OC. Sure, whatever makes you feel better.

Fallschirjmäger

The 21-year-old was chatting with his cousin just after 2 a.m. Saturday on a street in Gresham, Oregon, when a man approached them and asked Coleman for a cigarette.

How I Met Your Mother, season 1 episode 18

nothing-good-ever-happens-after-2-am.png

Attachments

• nothing-good-ever-happens-after-2-am.png
    nothing-good-ever-happens-after-2-am.png
    43.3 KB · Views: 289

WalkingWolf

Wish people would delete duplicates. I don't feel like commenting the same comment on all 4.

Noob OCer gets robbed, now all of a sudden it's a legitimate argument not to OC. Sure, whatever makes you feel better.

Maybe Grape can combine them. Even if this is legit, it is ONE incident in millions. There is more chance of getting shot in Walmart by a cop...

Rusty Young Man

How the heck does a victim place his hand on his gun and draws it only to give it away? Seems like there's only a few possibilities:

1. Handgun wasn't loaded
2. Victim wasn't prepared to use it
3. Victim didn't know how to use it
4. Story is a lie

My thoughts exactly. As others have already noted, SA is paramount, as well as not allowing shady characters to use such a common ruse as "do you have a cigarette/light". I fell for the latter once, but the guy either didn't have I'll intentions or changed his mind; one of the best learning experiences I've ever had while OCing.

As to it being loaded, the fix would have been simple. Now, if the victim was not willing to or did not know how to use it, some serious thinking should have been done. As Mr. Colionnoir put it: "It's far worse to die because you couldn't pull the trigger or you wouldn't pull the trigger or you hesitated than it is to die because you simply didn't HAVE a firearm".

The story leaves a lot to the imagination, so my post is mostly just speculation. Regardless, I'd like to know if "openly carrying" means OC or the media did what it does best and chose to substitute it for "was carrying the boxed/cased gun openly".

WalkingWolf

I wonder why the media rarely says concealed carry permit holder gets gun snatched/stolen.

Open Carry really bugs the hell out of control freaks.

Last edited: