• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This may be it - OCer targeted because he was OCing?

Dave H.

which is why you don't show and always be alert to your surroundings and people around you.

WalkingWolf

If the story is true very poor situational awareness. Asking for a cigarette or light is a common ruse to get close to commit a crime. He should have put his hand on his gun and told the thief to get back or stop.

I had a young man approach me walking several months back on the opposite side of the road. As he started to cross to my side I stopped and backed up as he asked for cigarette. I told him to get back, and unsnapped my gun, he moved back. Carrying OC the victim in this case should have easily had the drop on the thief.

I never let people get close to me, not just to prevent a crime. I don't want other people's germs, colds, flu, or whatever else they are carrying. It is also the reason both my wife and I are armed. Increases the chances a dirt bag may get shot so they move on to the next target.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Sooo,, I have been thinking about this thread "Title" for hours...
I NEVER practiced OCing a Gun..
But I DID Study OCing a gun on this forum, and I studied the laws of my state....
Before I Actually Did OC to my local food store as my first foray with an exposed hand gun.

Oh,,, and I didnt do it, out in the Hood at 2AM!

I think the story is a fake!!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
http://koin.com/2014/10/07/man-practicing-open-carry-law-robbed-of-gun/

GRESHAM, Ore. (KOIN 6) — A man practicing his open carry right was robbed of the gun he was openly carrying.

William Coleman III was robbed of his Walter[sic]- brand P22 just after 2:00 a.m. October 4 in Gresham by a young man who asked him for it — and flashed his own weapon as persuasion.

Coleman, 21, was talking to his cousin in the 17200 block of NE Glisan St., after purchasing the handgun earlier that day, when a young man asked him for a cigarette, police said.

The man then asked about the gun, pulled a gun from his own waistband and said “”I like your gun. Give it to me.”

This may be the black swan we have all been waiting to discover. And since I am the one reporting it, I claim the three-figure cash reward I have offered for documentation of someone being targeted specifically because they were OCing. Any suggestions on where to spend that $1.00?

stay safe.

waskel

All but one of the stories describe the gun the thief was carrying.
Only one story actually describes the thief. Big surprise.

WalkingWolf

I think the story is fake as well.

The description does not even sound credible.

He is roughly six feet tall, wearing grey sweatpants, a white T-Shirt and flip-flop sandals.

You can run in flip flops, but not very fast. I would suspect that any half brained criminal would not wear flip flops to commit a crime. Plus where did he keep his gun in sweats, that are not supportive of Mexican carry and the rest of the description does not support the criminal would have used a holster.

I call BS!

Wstar425

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
"The weapon he used in the robbery was described as a possibly semi-automatic, black gun, Gresham Police said."

Yeah, that narrows it down to about 200 million, or so. He probably should have "practiced" a little more before venturing out on the mean streets.
Presume that means it could have "possibly" been a chrome revolver.

The victim should have just given the BG he wanted......a cigarette. Then he would have been left alone :p

Primus

http://koin.com/2014/10/07/man-practicing-open-carry-law-robbed-of-gun/

The man then asked about the gun, pulled a gun from his own waistband and said “”I like your gun. Give it to me.”

Presume that means it could have "possibly" been a chrome revolver.

The victim should have just given the BG he wanted......a cigarette. Then he would have been left alone :p
Grape wasn't there a reward for anyone who could document a gun grab or gun taken while ocing? I think we found a winner lol :D

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
How the heck does a victim place his hand on his gun and draws it only to give it away? Seems like there's only a few possibilities:

1. Handgun wasn't loaded
2. Victim wasn't prepared to use it
3. Victim didn't know how to use it
4. Story is a lie

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Grape wasn't there a reward for anyone who could document a gun grab or gun taken while ocing? I think we found a winner lol :D
Nope.

There were 2 challanges.

1 -To find a cite where a successful gun grab/snatch resulted in the OCer being killed with his own gun. Military, LEOs, and security were excluded.

2 - The other was to cite where someone was robbed/relieved of their gun because they were OCing. So far this one does not meet that standard.

WalkingWolf

How the heck does a victim place his hand on his gun and draws it only to give it away? Seems like there's only a few possibilities:

1. Handgun wasn't loaded
2. Victim wasn't prepared to use it
3. Victim didn't know how to use it
4. Story is a lie

Number 4! I too thought that was stupid, why I said I would have given him the gun one round at a time.

Primus this story is clearly bogus, the police report is real, but clearly a anti OCer trying to show those gun grabs that rarely happen. Last time this came up several years ago the person was charged with filing a false police report. Too many things in this that do not make the least sense. Number one for me is carrying a firearm in sweatpants, have you tried to carry a firearm in sweatpants? Then he ran away in flip flops.

Betting the police were not provided a serial number of the supposed stolen firearm.

WalkingWolf

Even with the ser # I don't buy the story. Sounds like a good way to sell a gun to a felon and avoid possible charges down the road. Kinda like some people report a stolen car after driving their car into a ditch while drunk.

Had a deputy do the above in Logan County. Cost him his badge, but because he was a deputy he managed to escape serious charges.

WalkingWolf

Per Gresham PD Records Division:

S/N of the stolen gun: L338048

It has been entered into NCIC.

I still do not believe him, the story just sounds funky. Betting he had second thoughts about making a straw purchase and wanted to protect himself in case of a crime.

b0neZ

I still do not believe him, the story just sounds funky. Betting he had second thoughts about making a straw purchase and wanted to protect himself in case of a crime.

I'm not saying I believe the story to be one way or another, just providing what I found out is all.

I will say that I hope this story ends up being just that: A story.