• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This may be it - OCer targeted because he was OCing?

FreeInAZ

The whole story stinks to high heaven. Hanging out at 2am just chatting with the cousin, when a guy walks up on you so close that he can ask for and then you give him a cigarette is beyond stupid, unless you know the person very well. When people of the shady persuasion have tried that old "hey you got...insert: time, a zener diode, a light??? while walk towards me I have stepped back & laterally and said: "No - move on!" Only happened once to me at a gas station and the fellow understood my point and moved away quickly after looking at my OC pistol which was not immediately visible from his approach from the alley behind the station. I am polite and nice whenever possible, however bad guys use goodwill to close as much distance as possible before attacking, thus at times one must be ready to move and fight if necessary. This kid made it WAY too easy for the thug. I feel bad he lost his pistol, but stupid is as stupid does. :uhoh:

WalkingWolf

Personally I think it was a straw purchase and the kid was trying to cover his bases if the gun was ever used in a crime. Problem is~if the person restricted from having a firearm gets caught he is going to dump on the kid to avoid the robbery charges.

donny

Crack me up. Or ya know, it could have been an actual robbery. In fact the odds overwhelmingly favor it. But no, if it doesn't fit the agenda of those here it had to be something way out there. Sounds like the same approach gun grabbers employ.

BlueSquid

Act like a soft target, get treated like a soft target. Still, story sounds fishy to me, as well. I take care to try and observe anybody within eye shot of me both when carrying and not carrying.

garand_guy

Most of these stories are just the same details in each case. Probably gleaned from the police press release, because apparently, that's how all crime news is reported now.

I think people are calling this fake in that the victim lied about what happened. There are not enough details for us to judge either way. We should accept it as truth until proven false, but at the same time, know that this situation, based on the lack of details and the reasons enumerated in the thread, is not something that should be used to say open carry is dangerous or a bad idea.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Most of these stories are just the same details in each case. Probably gleaned from the police press release, because apparently, that's how all crime news is reported now.

I think people are calling this fake in that the victim lied about what happened. There are not enough details for us to judge either way. We should accept it as truth until proven false, but at the same time, know that this situation, based on the lack of details and the reasons enumerated in the thread, is not something that should be used to say open carry is dangerous or a bad idea.
Accept what the internet provides? Not today.

Prefer to reserve judgement (no knee jerk) and wait.

Freedom1Man

It helps to be smart enough to open carry

http://bearingarms.com/ill-taking-o...bafbp&utm_medium=fbpage&utm_campaign=baupdate

A man practicing his open carry right was robbed of the gun he was openly carrying. William Coleman III was robbed of his Walter- brand P22 just after 2:00 a.m. October 4 in Gresham by a young man who asked him for it — and flashed his own weapon as persuasion. Coleman, 21, was talking to his cousin in the 17200 block of NE Glisan St., after purchasing the handgun earlier that day, when a young man asked him for a cigarette, police said. The man then asked about the gun, pulled a gun from his own waistband and said “”I like your gun. Give it to me.” Coleman handed over the gun and the man fled on foot. The suspect is thin a black male, between 19 and 23 years old, clean cut with a small patch of facial hair on his chin, and short black wavy hair. He is roughly six feet tall, wearing grey sweatpants, a white T-Shirt and flip-flop sandals. The weapon he used in the robbery was described as a possibly semi-automatic, black gun, Gresham Police said.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Maybe Grape can combine them. Even if this is legit, it is ONE incident in millions. There is more chance of getting shot in Walmart by a cop...
Found and merged three of them.

A billion times you've been told, "Don't exaggerate!" :)

TonyA

The suspect sounds exactly like a guy that I helped get arrested a couple months ago at the store I work at. He and 2 friends had beat up and robbed a kid of his skate board in Gresham. Police were looking for them and I told them they had been to the store earlier that night. They came back and I called the police. I am a witness in the trial and the guy is being charged with a felony. Because of that we has threatened to kill me. He carries an Astra 400 9mm around with him some times, I presume to be stolen since he is only 18. He matches like the description, he hangs around that area, even what he said to the guy sounds like something he would say. I've called the tip line about it as well.

Here's a link to his pdxmugshot http://pdxmugshots.com/mug/brian-keith-sanders

I'm not saying the article is completely credible, but it has me worried about this guy all over again.

garand_guy

Accept what the internet provides? Not today.

Prefer to reserve judgement (no knee jerk) and wait.

Come on Grapeshot, I got my best information off the internet! Don't you know my uncle is a Nigerian millionaire who is dying of Ebola and wants to give me millions of dollars? Lol :uhoh:

This story definitely needs more investigation. If I lived up there and had the time, I might try to find out myself.

At least for the purpose of argument, we can take it at face value. Now as far as evidence, let's keep skeptical like a good jury would do. I certainly would not count this as gospel truth.

Even if this does turn out to be true, it's hardly evidence against open carry. It's one story about a careless person who let himself become a victim. When many confirmed stories come out about open carriers being attacked unawares, then maybe I'll believe open carriers are targets. Right now, it's still a deterrent.

BTW, anyone know of any stories where concealed carriers were attacked and unable to draw?

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Sooo,, I have been thinking about this thread "Title" for hours...
I NEVER practiced OCing a Gun..
But I DID Study OCing a gun on this forum, and I studied the laws of my state....
Before I Actually Did OC to my local food store as my first foray with an exposed hand gun.

Oh,,, and I didnt do it, out in the Hood at 2AM!

I think the story is a fake!!

Per Gresham PD Records Division:

S/N of the stolen gun: L338048

It has been entered into NCIC.

I still do not believe him, the story just sounds funky. Betting he had second thoughts about making a straw purchase and wanted to protect himself in case of a crime.

Sooo,,, It makes some sense that he knew the guns ser. no. since he had just bought it that day!
And he had to report the strong robbery of his gun...

Has it Ever been reported that his cell phone/ wallet were Also stolen?
No!
I have not read Any report of Other stuff stolen during the Strong armed Robbery...

It is just that! A story. A lie!

DaveT319

This guy clearly was not mentally prepared for carrying a firearm in public. Just bought a gun and put it on.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

http://koin.com/2014/10/07/man-practicing-open-carry-law-robbed-of-gun/

This may be the black swan we have all been waiting to discover. And since I am the one reporting it, I claim the three-figure cash reward I have offered for documentation of someone being targeted specifically because they were OCing. Any suggestions on where to spend that $1.00?

stay safe.

Forget it Skid!!!

I claimed the 3 figure prize years ago,,, I still dont haz my prize,,, but I did get my star.. Oh joy!

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I think the story is fake as well.

The description does not even sound credible.

He is roughly six feet tall, wearing grey sweatpants, a white T-Shirt and flip-flop sandals.

You can run in flip flops, but not very fast. I would suspect that any half brained criminal would not wear flip flops to commit a crime. Plus where did he keep his gun in sweats, that are not supportive of Mexican carry and the rest of the description does not support the criminal would have used a holster.

I call BS!

Lets think about this. guy is 21, first gun he buys. 2AM outside talking to his cousin. Nice neighborhood (I googled the block). Dark outside, and a bad guy just happens to be walking by and sees the gun...in the dark at 2AM....and they let a "stranger" approach them at 2AM? This stinks on ice.

My hypotheses is this is a "straw Purchase". Guy can legally buy a gun, he does, claims he was "robbed" and hands off gun to prohibited person...21 year old is in the clear, cause you know, robbed.

Primus

Lets think about this. guy is 21, first gun he buys. 2AM outside talking to his cousin. Nice neighborhood (I googled the block). Dark outside, and a bad guy just happens to be walking by and sees the gun...in the dark at 2AM....and they let a "stranger" approach them at 2AM? This stinks on ice.

My hypotheses is this is a "straw Purchase". Guy can legally buy a gun, he does, claims he was "robbed" and hands off gun to prohibited person...21 year old is in the clear, cause you know, robbed.

Why go through elaborate story? Just say gun was stolen from vehicle or house if its to cover a straw purchase.

Sounds like guys are just refusing to accept it happened.

Reminds me of Christians who refuse to believe the earth is older then 2000 years old. They've been told it is for their whole lives and they want it to be. So will refuse to believe any other evidence or explanation.

The Truth

I'm not gonna claim "FAKE!" but I will claim "WHO GIVES A DAMN?!" I really don't see how this matters whatsoever. There are unwritten rules and knowledge that go along with OC. You don't just buy a pistol the day you turn 21 (hyperbole) and shove it into a holster and show it off to all your friends at 2am on a street corner. This is being given too much credibility even by the "fake claimers." It's beyond being labeled "fake." It's a level of stupid and lack of awareness that generally does not exist within the well versed, practiced OC crowd.

This is like saying, "SEE! People still get killed in car accidents while wearing a seat belt, so why wear one?"

:banghead: