• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

best holster under $100

boomer92266

now $100 is my budget and i hope i can get one with money left over. i have a 4 inch barrel ruger service six, i need a good long lasting holster. i have decided that owb would probably be best unless someone has carried a gun this size iwb and it was comfortable. i guess i need to tell everyone i am looking for a conceal carry holster, i just got my ccdw. thanks for any help ya'll can give me.

WalkingWolf

now $100 is my budget and i hope i can get one with money left over. i have a 4 inch barrel ruger service six, i need a good long lasting holster. i have decided that owb would probably be best unless someone has carried a gun this size iwb and it was comfortable. i guess i need to tell everyone i am looking for a conceal carry holster, i just got my ccdw. thanks for any help ya'll can give me.

There are a lot of options, I believe blackhawk makes serpas for revolvers, they are under a $100. I personally do not like the blackhawk paddle, but the belt attachment works good. My wife uses a Fobus for both her Glock and her HP, she does not like the retention release on the serpa.

There are a lot of choices I would take up to much bandwidth to post them all, try using google.

J_dazzle23

If you have 100 bucks, I am a fan of either the safariland or serpa. Serpa is cool as it is very robust, you can get molle attachments, drop leg, etc and switch very quickly and easily. Safariland has a nice little thumb break and oh - so - nice suede type lining to keep that gun shiny. I don't know if they have your model, though.

Check out tac-tec-cal.com for a concealment holster. Jim tactay is fantastic and make an awesome product for concealment.

And about 1 million other good options.

Javelina

Blackhawk Serpa or Safariland

I use a Blackhawk Serpa holster for my G22 and I love it, I love knowing that the retention button is there as well, nobody can try to snatch my gun with ease. If there is a Safariland choice available for less than $100 though then I would do with it. Next I want to pick up at least a level 2 if not level 3 retention holster and would feel more comfortable with the release being on the inside of the holster.

If you're looking for a canceled carry iwb check out aliengearholsters.com they are only about $30 and makes my Glock 22 disappear. They also offer owb but haven't tried them. I use the Blackhawk every day for open carry. They are super comfortable and I like the retention. But if you have to hide it they are rather chunky for CC

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
I will just point out that we have 4 holster makers as forum sponsors at the top of the page. 3 of them make IWB and OWB and 3 speed appears to only have IWB. I have been procrastinating on getting a few new holsters for some inventory changes and I expect to purchase from 2 of the sponsors.

I suggest that we all at least give them a chance by checking out their sites to see if their products meet our buying needs when shopping for products.

boomer92266

I will just point out that we have 4 holster makers as forum sponsors at the top of the page. 3 of them make IWB and OWB and 3 speed appears to only have IWB. I have been procrastinating on getting a few new holsters for some inventory changes and I expect to purchase from 2 of the sponsors.

I suggest that we all at least give them a chance by checking out their sites to see if their products meet our buying needs when shopping for products.

ok thanks, i wonder if i could carry my gun iwb? be great if i could, but its a ruger service six so its k frame size with 4 inch barrel.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
ok thanks, i wonder if i could carry my gun iwb? be great if i could, but its a ruger service six so its k frame size with 4 inch barrel.

The barrel length probably isn't of issue depending on your size - I IWB a full-size 1911. I both pocket and IWB carry a j-frame 642 without issue but I have read that the larger diameter (and heavier weight) of the k-frames don't work well for most people IWB.

I'll throw out a suggestion FWIW - I bought a cheapy "sleeve" type fits-lots-of-guns nylon holster (around $10) when I was learning about holsters to use temporarily before I made an investment. What I use it for now is when I have a new sidearm I'm not sure will work well IWB I put it in the cheapy holster and carry for a bit just to see how the size sits. A full size 1911 sits and carries way different than a kel-tec P11 for instance. Gets me the general idea of how and where I would like to carry it. That gives me an idea of what I want to look for in IWB, if it is just going to be an OWB or if I maybe want to make a trade.

I'm probably weird in that but it works for me.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

boomer92266

i have a chance to get a choice of an iwb holster at a good deal, one is nylon the other leather. the leather one has a steel clip and is $8 more than the nylon which uses leather straps connected with chicago screws. which would be the better one? thanks

Marco

i have a chance to get a choice of an iwb holster at a good deal, one is nylon the other leather. the leather one has a steel clip and is $8 more than the nylon which uses leather straps connected with chicago screws. which would be the better one? thanks

Not enough info.
There are plenty of crap holsters out there, pics or a link to said holster would help.

Grim_Night

There are a lot of options, I believe blackhawk makes serpas for revolvers, they are under a $100. I personally do not like the blackhawk paddle, but the belt attachment works good. My wife uses a Fobus for both her Glock and her HP, she does not like the retention release on the serpa.

There are a lot of choices I would take up to much bandwidth to post them all, try using google.

I am very fond of Blackhawk holsters. I have a serpa for my Smith and Wesson M&P .40, have had it for about 2 years and I absolutely love it. Unfortunately, they don't make a serpa holster for the Rugar Service Six. I have searched and there just aren't any serpa holsters for that firearm.

These are what I have found from opticsplanet for the Service Six

http://www.opticsplanet.com/blackhawk-holsters-ruger-security-six-4-in-barrel.html

This is my recommendation for an OWB holster.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/blackhawk-hip-holster-w-thumb-break-40ht.html

Here is a link that gives options for both OWB and IWB holsters. All are well under your $100 budget.

http://www.ruger-holsters.com/ruger-service-six-holster

Renegadez

+1 Serpa been going for 3 to 4 weeks with mine and i am loving it! I will also be buying the Quick Disconnect kit and leg kit.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If your shirts/coats are long enough OWB is ok for concealed carry but IWB will better hide your gun.

As WalkingWolf states there bunches available. Keep it simple and it makes it easier.

I basically use two - Gould Goldline leather OWB and DeSantis Sof-tuck for IWB.

http://gotnarcosis.com/brucewittmeier/technical/Holsters.html
Most here do not wish to hide their gun.

We OC for the visual deterence, speed of presentation, and for the education factor - we seek to normalize the right to carry as we go about our everyday lives :)

Primus

Most here do not wish to hide their gun.

We OC for the visual deterence, speed of presentation, and for the education factor - we seek to normalize the right to carry as we go about our everyday lives :)
But its much faster to draw from concealment and oc just scares the masses since only bad guys do it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
But its much faster to draw from concealment and oc just scares the masses since only bad guys do it.
You neglected to include an emoticon indicating sarcasm or humor, so how do we know that isn't how you secretly, really feel :p