• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

When will VCDL finally endorse a candidate for US Senator?

AJG

Every election....! :lol::lol:
There are issues other than 2A and to be honest, EG isn't worth even considering in my mind.
Sarvis is as usual, not electable despite the merits of his campaign pledges. Voting for him in hopes of him winning is like passing up on Virginia Deer in the hope a Moose will walk by.
Like nearly elections...we are faced with choosing between dumb and dumber.

Truer words could NOT be spoken... unfortunately voters actually DO choose between 2 wrongs...

Thundar

+1

There is nothing they are "holding back" in hope of Gillespie responding to the survey...

Ah, but there is something that is being held back by VCDL.

VCDL members should have the results of the VCDL PAC survey. That would show that Sarvis has returned a very pro gun survey and that Warner and Ed have not bothered to even fill out the survey. The results would include the typical warning from the VCDL PAC is that not returning the survey could mean the candidate is not pro gun.

The point that I am trying to make in this thread is that VCDL PAC appears to have the same mentality as the NRA, that it is only parties that matter. This is the ideology argument that TFred made earlier in the post.

TFred is, however, wrong. Obamacare did pass with Republican support. The Patriot Act was renewed with Democrat support. Budgets get passed. Individuals do matter.

Thundar

And we wait. Still. For someone to come up with any plausible sequence of events that could possibly end with a Sarvis victory.

::crickets::

I do not believe Gillespie will lose by double digits. I am CERTAIN that Sarvis will.

TFred

What a great reason to vote for Ed. Somebody believes he will lose by less than 10 percent! The only plausible scenario for Ed's election is Warner getting hit by a bus before election day.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
A vote for Sarvis is not a vote cast in hopes he will win.

It may be a vote cast to show that both parties suck.
It may be cast to put a third party over the magical 10% line (that will then be increased for all purposes that matter).

But it is not a vote for Warner. Or for Gillespie.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Ah, but there is something that is being held back by VCDL.

VCDL members should have the results of the VCDL PAC survey. That would show that Sarvis has returned a very pro gun survey and that Warner and Ed have not bothered to even fill out the survey. The results would include the typical warning from the VCDL PAC is that not returning the survey could mean the candidate is not pro gun.

The point that I am trying to make in this thread is that VCDL PAC appears to have the same mentality as the NRA, that it is only parties that matter. This is the ideology argument that TFred made earlier in the post.

TFred is, however, wrong. Obamacare did pass with Republican support. The Patriot Act was renewed with Democrat support. Budgets get passed. Individuals do matter.

In all seriousness, because I don't know ... are you a dues-paid member?

If so, write the leadership and make the case for releasing earlier.
If not, you have no business telling VCDL how to operate.

Repeater

A vote for Sarvis is not a vote cast in hopes he will win.

It may be a vote cast to show that both parties suck.
It may be cast to put a third party over the magical 10% line (that will then be increased for all purposes that matter).

But it is not a vote for Warner. Or for Gillespie.

And now VCDL has released (or unleashed) Robo-Calls across Virginia asking gun owners to inquire of both Ed & Mark why they haven't returned the Surveys. But clearly both of them are tone-deaf and could not possibly care less what VCDL members think. So why should members care?

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Interesting comment Tess!

scouser

To me it just seems Thundar is trying to encourage people to think for themselves. Personally I think ALL "career politicians" should be voted out of office and replaced with people who understand and respect the people who put them there.

Whether a dues paying member or not, it's a free country and anyone has the right to ask questions. How else would we ever find out the answers? What if, just suppose, the question was asked because someone is thinking of becoming a member but doesn't understand why the results aren't issued earlier and wants to know the reason before joining

FBrinson

Is the survey released by VCDL PAC or VCDL? Are VCDL and VCDL PAC one and the same?

The Truth

To me it just seems Thundar is trying to encourage people to think for themselves. Personally I think ALL "career politicians" should be voted out of office and replaced with people who understand and respect the people who put them there.

Whether a dues paying member or not, it's a free country and anyone has the right to ask questions. How else would we ever find out the answers? What if, just suppose, the question was asked because someone is thinking of becoming a member but doesn't understand why the results aren't issued earlier and wants to know the reason before joining

+1

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Thundar is just being Thundar and I agree with much of his thinking even though I also think it won't work.

What is interesting is that VCDL is trying to encourage ALL gun owners to come to Lobby Day, member or not....but somehow those non members shouldn't have any input in the agenda or complain when in fact they feel the Org doesn't represent their interests.

If that keeps up even the creative counting won't get them more than a few participants.

AJG

I'm trying to figure out how voting for a write in candidate would be any different than the claim of voting for the Lib Cand?
If the vote for the lib is a wasted vote.. then the write in vote is even more of a waste....

Neither of the 2 major party candidates are any good. Nuff said.

wittmeba

I'm trying to figure out how voting for a write in candidate would be any different than the claim of voting for the Lib Cand?
If the vote for the lib is a wasted vote.. then the write in vote is even more of a waste....

Neither of the 2 major party candidates are any good. Nuff said.

This may be true. Either candidate may get a majority of those voting but both may not get a majority of the population. It would be nice if we could cast a "neither" vote without wasting it and if a candidate does not have more than 50% the seat goes unfilled until some one is actually voted in rather than a "lesser of two evils".

Thundar

Tess,

Yes I am a member of the VCDL, The NRA, GOA and the Libertarian Party of Virginia, but I find this irrelevant to the behavior of the VCDL PAC. I do not donate to either the VCDL PAC or the NRA ILA (NRA ILA is the NRA PAC). I do donate cash to GOA and to the Libertarian Party of Virginia. I also donate time to the Libertarian Party of Virginia, for signature drives and campaigning and membership in a libertarian congressional committee.

VCDL is, I believe, a 501.C.4 organization. That means VCDL cannot campaign and that is why there is a separate VCDL Political Action Committee (PAC). The leadership of VCDL should, in theory, be completely separate from the VCDL PAC, which means VCDL leadership should not direct the VCDL PAC. I therefore will not ask VCDL leaders about VCDL PAC behavior.

If you know of someone from the VCDL PAC that is willing to have a reasoned, on the record discussion about why they have delayed publishing their results and why they think that their reasons are more important than providing the results in a timely manner for seniors , the disabled and the military, then I am ready to have the discussion.

I post the information here because there are many here who genuinely care about the issue. VCDL is a good grass roots organisation. I certainly do not agree with them all the time, but Philip (VCDL Prez for those of you who do not know) comes to Libertarian events and there is a cordial relationship. VCDL PAC is a very different story. They appear at times to be a Republican shill, not a gun rights PAC.

Blk97F150

This is a portion of a VCDL Email Alert that just came out. Its somewhat related to this thread topic, so I thought I'd share for those who might be interested.

----------------------------------------------------
Also, Libertarian candidate Robert Sarvis, who is the only Senate candidate out of three to return the VCDL survey, will address the group. VCDL (and GOA, BTW) have not received a survey response from either Ed Gillespie or Mark Warner (an open invitation remains for either of them to speak at a VCDL meeting). Eric Cantor ignored grassroots, too, and we know how that worked out for him.

I wonder if Ed Gillespie and Mark Warner are going to release their NRA survey? (I won’t be holding my breath in anticipation.)

See you tonight!

Fellowship starts at 7:30 PM and the meeting is called to order at 8:00 PM.

The meeting is open to the public, so bring along some friends and family!

Directions: http://vcdl.org/node/180

AJG

This is a portion of a VCDL Email Alert that just came out. Its somewhat related to this thread topic, so I thought I'd share for those who might be interested.

Eric Cantor ignored grassroots, too, and we know how that worked out for him.

Ya know... the above statement has been used a few times in a few different posts/threads about this election. And with it being in the VCDL Email Alert, it sounds like the VCDL is taking sole credit for Cantor not getting re-elected. Now, probably in years past the org had a very strong hand in the Virginia legislative process, but I'm thinkin not so much anymore and especially true with Federal politics.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Ya know... the above statement has been used a few times in a few different posts/threads about this election. And with it being in the VCDL Email Alert, it sounds like the VCDL is taking sole credit for Cantor not getting re-elected. Now, probably in years past the org had a very strong hand in the Virginia legislative process, but I'm thinkin not so much anymore and especially true with Federal politics.
Eric Cantor can take all of the credit for his defeat.....100% of it.

Not sure why you are so dismissive of VCDL - they are still arguably the best grassroots organization in the state.

Insofar as being involved in federal politics, by and large we are not....beyond presenting the positions of candidates for national office from Virginia.

AJG

Eric Cantor can take all of the credit for his defeat.....100% of it.

Not sure why you are so dismissive of VCDL - they are still arguably the best grassroots organization in the state.

Insofar as being involved in federal politics, by and large we are not....beyond presenting the positions of candidates for national office from Virginia.

Not dismissive of them at all Grape... I just believe, based on the current political seating, their influence isn't as great.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Not dismissive of them at all Grape... I just believe, based on the current political seating, their influence isn't as great.

They still have considerable influence AJG....I feel it's misdirected at times but still far and above any other 2A lobby in the state.
Cantor has been on the sh%t list for years and the first freedom rally had a tremendous turnout.

I can easily see them as a major factor in his defeat.